Driving out of Paris

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Here's a quick one. My characters are going to a castle or palace on the outskirts of Paris. Some hotel or conference centre. Doesn't really matter what. But it needs to be in a fairly secluded spot away from the main city. At least it needs to feel like it for the people there. But not more than, say a couple of hours drive away.

My question is: at what distance from the city is it believable that they go? How long time would it take to get there from Champs-Elysees?

I'm not going to use real names or places, so I do not need an actual spot. I just want it to be believable to the point where a Frenchman wouldn't be offended to the point of saying, "Sacre bleu, this is stupid. This author should be stabbed to death with a baguette. Why not just have the characters go to....".

Thanks.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It can feel very much outside of Paris pretty darn close to Paris. Under 100km, easily. Getting out of Paris always takes a while, though :) From the Champs-Elysees, a good hour before you are clear of town might be safe by car. Depending on the hideous traffic ;) You can do it quicker, but you have to allow for so much stuck time.

I'd probably say an hour and a half (2 hrs?) and know that I'm still pretty close to Paris, but there are chateaux, etc around, yes. Or all sorts of parks that would do.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
It can feel very much outside of Paris pretty darn close to Paris. Under 100km, easily. Getting out of Paris always takes a while, though :) From the Champs-Elysees, a good hour before you are clear of town might be safe by car. Depending on the hideous traffic ;) You can do it quicker, but you have to allow for so much stuck time.

I'd probably say an hour and a half (2 hrs?) and know that I'm still pretty close to Paris, but there are chateaux, etc around, yes. Or all sorts of parks that would do.

Très bon. Merci.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of hands-on research, myself, whenever possible. Ryan Air can get you from Stockholm to Paris and back again for about SEK1500. Just sayin'...

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
...and then I just need to hire a car! It's never as simple as the plan. I have been in Paris though. I just needed this one little detail to have it all covered. Just because I remember something, doesn't make it real!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to allow an extra hour of panicky driving around the peripherique. No trip to Paris is complete without it.