Status
Not open for further replies.

DisobedientWriter

Kirsten Lesko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
disobedientwriter.com
Can anyone suggest ways to find decent graphic designers for book promotion for both web and print?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I went on craigslist and found 1) a very good local guy to create a video for my blog, and 2) a so-so artist a thousand miles away who took my money and never did a page for me.

So find a good local and be careful!

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Deviantart.com, if you haven't already. There are many brilliant graphic artists, hungry for gigs on that site (a lot of junk too, but you scan skip all those quite easily). There's everything from photography, to photomanipulation, to full blown digital art of every kind, website layouts, CSS templates, backgrounds and on and on. Some of them say "help yourself", others have restrictions on use. Either way find someone you like and drop them a line, see if they're willing to work with you.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
1) Keep in mind that there's a difference between "graphic artist" and "graphic designer"; although there is some crossover, the artist is the one who does the cover art and inside illustrations, and the designer is the one who designs how it looks and how those illustrations are put together and presented. Given that the OP is looking for a designer and sites such as ConceptArt and DeviantArt were being given (few designers at those sites, but plenty of artists), I figured that the difference needed to be noted.

2) The graphic designer can design how the press release looks. But you may be better served by finding a publicist, as you're looking for promotion rather than setting the book up, unless you already have an idea of what you want to do.

[As a side note, keep in mind some of the people here do graphics winkwinknudgenudge....]

FR

A_Napp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I make all the artwork around the writing myself... (on www.anke-napp.de you can see the covers of my books. for one novel I made a promo-video, too. And I put two of the covers on this forum in the promo-area, with higher res.)

If someone gives me detailed instructions on what he/she wants - we can talk about services. Not for free, of course :D

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
also, mass school of photography does this and some art schools probably do too.

I needed a photographer for my wedding and i was able to email them with the details and they sent out a job spec to their current and former students looking for business and then they contacted me.

you could try contacting a local art school where students are trying to build portfolios. I've seen so AMAZING student work that would be worth the money, but you'll likely pay less for a student because they're not yet "professionals"... it's a hard field to make a name for yourself in so they'll likely be eager.

Status
Not open for further replies.