Shot my first bow today

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
My boyfriend took me to Bass Pro Shop where he wanted to get a few things for his bow, and while we were there we went into the shooting alley they have there. I got to shoot my first bow ever (except the crossbow I shot at his dad's before the trip to BPS, which I did excellent). I sucked, my aim was way off and my stance all wrong, but hey, it was my first time. Maybe we'll get a bow for me soon and I can practice more, and hopefully get better. I've always wanted to learn to use a bow, so I'm quite excited about it. I don't want to learn for hunting, just shoot targets, I can't kill animals. And after an hour in the alley (or range, I don't have the terms down yet...lol) I have big purple bruises on my arm from the string hitting me, but it's cool. I had fun.

zarkia

is picky about what she likes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threecornersquare.com
Compounds are good fun. I did archery for 8 weeks once - a 2 hour class once a week. It was the best thing I've ever done.
If your arm is getting bruised, it means you are holding your shoulder wrong. you really need to keep it straight and not let it curl into your chest.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You're missing out if you don't fire a recurve bow at least once. See if they have a 35 or 40 lb draw you could use. The store I went to in KC had a whole bunch of "trainer" bows like that.

If you build the upper body strength, totally play with an English style long bow. You walk around feeling like Robin Hood the rest of the day. :D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I shot a bow once. It was big and red and shiny and the little girl wearing it was being really mean. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tepelus, if you're going to shoot again, buy or make yourself a leather protector for your arm, and have someone instruct you on form, so the injury doesn't recur with every single shot.

And be warned of an accident I had shooting a bow in college. A combination of bad form and cool temperatures can do substantial damage to your nipple.

Maryn, having said enough

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I shot my first a few years ago (recurve). The welt on my forearm was purty. Next time I straightened my arm. ;)

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I took an archery course at University (just for fun).

We used traditional bows. I have a double-jointed left elbow...it bloody hurt. :Wha: In the end, I had to use two protectors on my left arm.

I did become a pretty decent shot and I would love to take it up again.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Ya, I need to wear a protector on my arm until I get my form down. I do bend my arm too much, perhaps next time the boyfriend will help me with that more than paying more attention to his shooting, even if he is doing awesome...lol! Yup, big ol' purple and red bruise, they look lovely! Maybe after I get the hang of the compound, and get more strength, I'll try the recurve, so I can be all Robin Hood and stuff. :D

And, ouch Maryn! Ouch! But I don't think I'll have to worry about that much, I'm small chested. Yet, ouch!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
My dad taught me how to shoot a bow (recurve) when I was a kid. In school, I sucked in gym except when we had an archery period and then I impressed them all. My late father-in-law was an avid bow hunter and he gave me one of his hand made wooden recurve bows.

I just got my nine year old son his first real recurve bow for his March birthday and he's learning to shoot a bow. He is an absolute dead eye shot with a gun so I think he will probably do very well with the bow.