PDA

View Full Version : Neil Gaiman seriously needs to win this...

cllorentson
04-04-2010, 12:49 AM
I received this tweet today, "Vote for Neil Gaiman in the Time's 100 Most Influential Poll. If not, Lady Gaga will win." So of course, I had to check it out.

So far, Lady Gaga is in the number 1 spot, (barf), and Neil is number 15.

Personally, I'd love to see Neil overtake Gaga. I think it would make things "right" in the universe. :)

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1972075_1972078_1972162,00.html

leahzero
04-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Just looking at the current top 10 is nauseating.

1. Lady Gaga
2. Kim Yu-Na
3. Jeff Bridges
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Nicolas Sarkozy
6. James Cameron
7. Muammar Gaddafi
8. Sandra Bullock
9. Sarah Palin
10. Lindsey Vonn

/facepalm

leahzero
04-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Also, lol @ Michelle Obama being #14, while Barack is #26.

cllorentson
04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Just looking at the current top 10 is nauseating.

1. Lady Gaga
2. Kim Yu-Na
3. Jeff Bridges
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Nicolas Sarkozy
6. James Cameron
7. Muammar Gaddafi
8. Sandra Bullock
9. Sarah Palin
10. Lindsey Vonn

/facepalm

Agreed. I was trying to find some other writers on the list besides Neil, but no names jumped out at me. Of course, it's a really long list, and I was just skimming it...

som1luvsmi
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Jeff Bridges???

Really??

I think I can safely say that he has never influenced me in any way.

Btw- my daughter wants to make sure that everyone knows that

NEIL GAIMAN RULEZ!!!

cllorentson
04-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Neil Gaiman wrote this today on his twitter page:

"I'm not the most influential person on the list. But you can vote for whether I am more so than Bristol Palin."

backslashbaby
04-04-2010, 02:31 AM
That's cool. I don't think he's more influential than world leaders, so I won't go that far. But I'll help him beat Lady Gaga and Bristol, sure :)

brainstorm77
04-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I like GaGa but #1? I think this is just showing popularity.

Libbie
04-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Y'think?

These let-the-interwebs-decide things are purely popularity contests, and are ridiculous, because whoever has the most rabid fans will win. Every time. It doesn't matter whether they've actually influenced anybody to do anything.

Haggis
04-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm glad I'm old and will be dead soon.

brainstorm77
04-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Y'think?

These let-the-interwebs-decide things are purely popularity contests, and are ridiculous, because whoever has the most rabid fans will win. Every time. It doesn't matter whether they've actually influenced anybody to do anything.

Indeed.

HelloKiddo
04-04-2010, 10:28 AM

They influenced how they voted in the poll, and they influenced them enough to come along and vote for them. If a bunch of kids are fans enough of Lady Gaga to vote for her 100 times and organize votes, she has power over them.

Of course, the polls might be dominated by young people, because they're the ones who vote 100 times. Older people (usually) have other stuff to do.

aruna
04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
It's a popularity contest. Who cares. Lady Gaga has as much influence over me as that speck of dust on my desk.
What a stupid poll. I'd be more impressed by a list compiled by Time editors.

Jamesaritchie
04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
The fact that Lady Gaga is on the list at all means evolutionists have it backwards. We did not evolve from apes, we devolved from them.

In fact, the entire top ten tells me that no one who has an IQ above room temperature voted in this poll.

maxmordon
04-04-2010, 09:21 PM
1) Who the hell is Kim Yu-Na?

2) This is just a popularity contest, I doubt TIME will go so low to say Lady Gaga is the most influencial.

3) It really says a lot when movie stars and singers are considered more influencial than politicians or thinkers.

Sage
04-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Kim Yu-Na is the gold-medalist figure skater, I think.

BenPanced
04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
What sort of "influence" are they talking about, though?

mario_c
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Is it bad that I haven't heard of most of these people?

Anyway, Steve Jobs leads my list, for really leading the Information Age from the beginning; followed by Barack, Nicholas Sarkosky, then Oprah and a tie between Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch (our three primary thought leaders of the past decade, for better or worse). Now why does Recaptcha keep making me type dirty words to record my vote? Not that I mind, but some voters might be swayed :D

Shadow_Ferret
04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Other than making me gag, what has Lady Gag Me done?

Neil's moved up to 14.

kurzon
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Hm - I wonder if they will break down the results by age group.

As for Lady Gaga - her influence is on people who feel alienated for being different. She is a current very big force in the worlds of those who needed to hear that it's okay not to conform.

Neil Gaiman has had more influence over me, certainly, but I'm sorry to hear such ridicule directed toward an artist because they're "just" a singer (or whatever the reason is for all this disdain). Different groups of people are influenced by different types of people, and need to hear different messages.

aruna
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I can't help it, I'm an unrepentant elitist!

.................................................. .................................................. ...................
As for being different: that's a cinch today. You should have tried being different 40 years ago; and we didn't have a Lady Gaga!

seun
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
A few years back, I saw a poll on TV which resulted in Robbie Wiliams being titled The Greatest Man In Music.

Not Elvis or Lennon or Mercury or anyone along those lines. Robbie fucking Williams.

These polls prove nothing other than people are very stupid.

Mac H.
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Why would people care what comes out of the poll?

It's just the Times - it isn't as if it's a reputable new source.

Look at what happened last time:

http://musicmachinery.com/2009/04/15/inside-the-precision-hack/

Mac

Phaeal
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
This reminds me of a newspaper campaign Gail Wynand runs in The Fountainhead. He publishes one story about a scientist working in a garret on a potentially world-shaking invention, another story about the pregnant girlfriend of a recently jailed criminal. He then asks for donations to each cause. The pregnant GF wins by an enormous margin. Gail then tells his staff THIS is the kind of public you're writing for.

His newspapers were very successful.

As for Jeff Bridges, can I vote for the Dude instead?

gothicangel
04-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Neil Gaiman doesn't need to win anything. He's too cool to be bothered about stupid popularity contests. :D

Neil Gaiman is going to be remembered alongside Dickens and Angela Carter. In eighteen months LG will be known as 'Who?'

cllorentson
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Neil Gaiman doesn't need to win anything. He's too cool to be bothered about stupid popularity contests. :D

Neil Gaiman is going to be remembered alongside Dickens and Angela Carter. In eighteen months LG will be known as 'Who?'

So true. On his twitter posts, Neil Gaiman is very "whatever" about the whole Time Magazine list.

As much as I personally want him to win, (just because, in a perfect world according to me, Neil Gaiman would be more influential than Lady Gaga,) I know it doesn't matter in the long run.

I actually don't hate Lady Gaga. But I think the whole, "celebrate being different" thing loses its oomph when you're as incredible popular with everyone as she is. Part of the cool factor of being different is that not everyone "gets it". Does that make sense?

I realize though, that this argument against being different AND popular actually nulls my whole original post, where I wanted Neil to win this thing. :D