I kilt a MASSIVE taranshula (warning, spider pics!)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Spring has finally come in the UK after a winter that dragged on and on and on. Flowers are starting to bloom, the big tree at the end of my garden has the odd leaf on it...and the spiders are back.

I'm married to an arachnophobe while I don't really care about spiders one way or the other, bur the one my cat pointed out to me last night...:eek:

It was on the wall seven or eight feet up, the cat was going nuts trying to get it while it asked me if I fancied my chances. No joking, its body was the size of a ten pence piece and its legs were probably a couple of inches. After trying to work out how to get rid of it, I finally had to hoover it, then stand there with the hoover going just to make sure it was definitely in the bag.

I hope it didn't have any big brothers. :D

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Tarantulas are cool. I can't believe you killed it.

Reaction score
I'm with your missus.

Spiders = if they don't pay rent, they got no right to be in your house.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
You should buy her one as a pet therapy critter.

They are really easy to care for. Little bit of water in a sponge. Change the bedding every month or two. Just keep them warm and they make no noise or fuss. Plus, watching them eat crickets never gets old :)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Wimps. You should see the creatures that run rampant on this island. Huge, the bastards. I've seen a few that are nearly the size of my hand.

We don't kill them, though. They're about the only creatures on this bloody island that aren't poisonous, so they get a pass.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Just be glad you don't run into THESE fuckers everywhere:

spider1-2.jpg

To give you an idea, the body on that thing is about the size of my ring finger. Of course you can't see my hands and have no idea if I have freakishly small or cartoonishly large hands, but assuming I have relatively normal fingers, that should give you an idea. It was fucking huge.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to need therapy just for reading the title and trying to make myself open the thread.

I wouldn't be worried about the giant spider, I would be worried about what it was eating to keep it such a healthy size. It certainly wasn't flies.

Repeat after me, "Spiders are our friends." :D

Ironically I know a few people who got a tarantula to cure their arachnophobia, and now love their tarantula, but are still deathly afraid of tiny house spiders. Go figure.

If the Mrs. ever entertains the idea of the therapy, look up the BTS. That is the UK's tarantula society. http://www.thebts.co.uk/ They will have plenty of information.

Oh, and sponges, cotton balls, or cricket crystals, aren't needed, and pose a potential harbor for bacteria. A shallow dish of water will do fine. :)

I feel like I just made a public service announcement . . .

And remember, kids. Spiders aren't poisonous - you can eat as many as you want! Just don't let them bite you. :roll:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You don't suppose they can ever escape from those vacuum cleaner bags, do you? :evil

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
You don't suppose they can ever escape from those vacuum cleaner bags, do you? :evil

Dude, that's evil. :roll:

No worries, house spiders don't tend to have the fang size that a real tarantula has . . . with a few exceptions. It shouldn't be able to chew it's way out.

Unless of course it's as big as my Josephine (in the avatar). This is what her and her 1/4" fangs did to a metal screen lid.
fangedscreennz6.jpg

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

spider1-2.jpg

To give you an idea, the body on that thing is about the size of my ring finger. Of course you can't see my hands and have no idea if I have freakishly small or cartoonishly large hands, but assuming I have relatively normal fingers, that should give you an idea. It was fucking huge.

But at least those stay outside! The damn huntsmen spiders come in! And try to eat you while you sleep! And then they attack when you spray them while standing on top of chairs. And you can hear the pitter patter of their little feet.

*provides visual evidence to torture everyone else with*

spider_06.jpg

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

spider1-2.jpg

I get at least one of those in my hair a year! They are everywhere here.

It is spider time; I've noticed, too. I don't usually mind them inside, but apparently I need to get rid of a few. I've had several come up to say Hi to me on the computer :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I came across a few tarantulas recently, just walking along the pathways of the Cozumel resort I was staying at:

25405_379228657020_591877020_4162686_488781_n.jpg

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Didn'tja hear the fable about the knight who gave up, ran into a cave and watched a spider try to spin its web?
He sat there, all day, watching him try to get from one side of the cave to the other, and then, eventaully, got to the other side and made a magnificent web. The knight then vowed to never give up, or so I hear the story goes. Either that, or my brother made it up as an inspirational tale.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I came across a few tarantulas recently, just walking along the pathways of the Cozumel resort I was staying at:

When Ol' Boy and I went to Cancun a few years ago, we took a bus tour to the ruins at Chichen Itza. On the way there, we were sitting in the first-row seat and got to see the road ahead of us. In the distance, I noticed a large, dark shape moving across it from right to left... I thought it was a cat or a dog, but it was moving slower than one would expect. As we got closer, I saw it was a tarantula the size of a dinner plate.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Didn'tja hear the fable about the knight who gave up, ran into a cave and watched a spider try to spin its web?
He sat there, all day, watching him try to get from one side of the cave to the other, and then, eventaully, got to the other side and made a magnificent web. The knight then vowed to never give up, or so I hear the story goes. Either that, or my brother made it up as an inspirational tale.

Robert the Bruce. :)

I don't mind spiders, but I wouldn't want a tarantula crawling up my leg. There was a news report a while back about false widow spiders coming in to the UK on imported fruit (I know - bloody immigrants! They're even after our fruit now! ;)), and because of the milder climate in the south east of England they're now surviving whereas before they would have torpored and died. The prediction is the black widows are next. My friend said "It's okay, only the females are poisonous" and I thought "Who's going to hang around long enough to check?"