5.5X8.5 VERSUS 6X9 Question

Epicman

I said What!?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cometogetherbooks.com
Please help if you can. I can get either size for the same price. Are there any restrictions on who will or wont carry/distribute one vs the other? I know that 5.5X8.5 is considered 'trade paperback' other than the name distinction, is there any drawback in going with a 6x9 instead of the 5.5X8.5?

I tried researching this but cant find anything.

Epicman

logos1234567

Registered
Reaction score
I have had feedback from stores in the UK that they prefer the smaller size, but I believe you guys in the US like everything bigger!!!!

logos1234567

Registered
Reaction score
'But does half an inch really make that much difference?' he asks blushing.............

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Most trade paperbacks I've owned are 5.5x8.5 -- mostly fiction. There are some 6x9 as well, but what I have are mostly non-fiction.

EtA: Actually, I am surprised that the book sizes are so "non-standard" in American publishing. I just pulled out 10 trade paperbacks and half of them are of slightly different sizes -- but closer to 5.5x8.5 than 6x9.

Epicman

I said What!?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cometogetherbooks.com
thanks

I see that there are really no distribution issues so I will go 6x9. I will save .06 per copy because I saved 4 pages - no big deal but every penny counts.

Thank You,
Epicman