PDA

View Full Version : Wow (Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Reviews)

Mr. Anonymous
04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
EDIT: Thanks for the support guys. Just needed to vent.

cate townsend
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Goes to show how subjective this art is. Personally, my favorite books have had extremely good and extremely bad reviews.

Mr. Anonymous
04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Goes to show how subjective this art is. Personally, my favorite books have had extremely good and extremely bad reviews.

Oh, I know writing is subjective.

But this? " no more literary value than the writing on a discarded cereal box."

That just stings. And it's not even fucking true (both agents I showed it to praised the strength of the writing.) But that's beside the point.

Jamesaritchie
04-01-2010, 08:59 PM

No, it goes to show that the Amazon system is dumber than a yak on crack.

Renee Collins
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I think this contest has one big downside. These reviewers have no real motivation to give every story a real chance. (Unless that's just their personality.) Unlike an agent, who sees every requested partial/full as a potential way for them to earn money, the reviewers merely had to get through their pile. Also, it's in an agent's best interest to be polite. Not so much for an anonymous reviewer.

Anyway, I'm sure most reviewers tried to be fair, but I'm also sure that there were plenty who plowed through, trashing at will.

Sorry about the snarky comments, Mr. Anonymous. Rudeness like that is just uncalled for.

darkprincealain
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I think I'm with Renee on this, mostly.

But to add one point, it seems like neither reviewer understood fully some part of the process and/or excerpt. Something about the Amazon system seems... off (to put it nicely), to me.

cate townsend
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh, I know writing is subjective.

But this? " no more literary value than the writing on a discarded cereal box."

That just stings. And it's not even fucking true (both agents I showed it to praised the strength of the writing.) But that's beside the point.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to come across as flippant.

People who write reviews like this are not even worth the effort. I see things like this all the time on Amazon, on books written by acclaimed authors, books that Oprah has endorsed, and books that have received literary awards. Some people just write stuff like this because they can, because they are angry, because they have eight trunked novels in their closet they don't have the cajones to submit, because they are lame. Simply, because they are lame.

crazynance
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
reviewer 2, who objected to the spelling of Ph.D, has used the wrong 'to'. it should read CLINGS TOO CLOSELY.
I guess they're not as good as they thought at reviewing, huh? :D *runs away to the smart-alice hut*

Mr. Anonymous
04-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the support guys. Blah. I'm over it. It's just that I waited a week for these reviews, checked a couple times a day since I found I hadn't moved on to the next round. All that anticipation for this. Oh well. Moving on.

OL
04-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Horribly written "review" on top of that -- who vets these people?

kaitie
04-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I think, too, that a lot of people have adopted the Simon Cowell method of critiquing anything. It's supposed to be "funny" or "clever" to be rude and sarcastic. I see it around here on occasion even, though at least here for the most part we're all respectful.

What I wouldn't give to have a little common courtesy be considered the socially preferable means of exchange again.

cate townsend
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
What I wouldn't give to have a little common courtesy be considered the socially preferable means of exchange again.

Amen.

kellion92
04-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Here's an interesting read about mean Amazon reviews from Salon. Mr. Anonymous, I hope you won't be hurt to hear the cereal box line used in one of these reviews about a classic children's novel.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2010/04/02/mean_amazon_reviews_open2010

Mr. Anonymous
04-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's an interesting read about mean Amazon reviews from Salon. Mr. Anonymous, I hope you won't be hurt to hear the cereal box line used in one of these reviews about a classic children's novel.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2010/04/02/mean_amazon_reviews_open2010

Ha, you know, that's EXACTLY the book (Diary of Anne Frank) I thought of when I read the second review.

And I can't believe what that guy said about The Grapes of Wrath (sigh). It's my favorite book. I haven't re-read it for simple fear that it won't be as good as I remember it to be.

crazynance
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
So there you go. It takes all kinds, and these kind aren't the kind one should listen to. Ask us about your book. We'll tell you the truth. Politely if it's bad, and ravingly ecstatic if it's good. :D We have forums for that. [wow, I feel like iphone.]

Seems to me that Amazon review is like Wikipedia. Anyone can 'have a go', regardless of their training or qualifications.