International Library of Poetry

IdentityUnknown

As I am basically naive and illiterate enough to not see a scam when I see a scam, I was wondering if anyone else has "fallen" for the hype of this outfit and given them money to receive poetry awards and recognition at their symposiums. Has anyone actually received what was promised?

As far as I can tell, the ILP is not a total fraud, but they do operate in a dubious way.

Anway, my tongue is in my cheek as to my expectations of really getting my awards and, if I do, they will serve as a reminder to check the background of any outfit who claims to "know" my work before I submit anything to them.

Also, as they have the word "library" in their title, is there actually a library of poetry and a poetry plaza in Owings Mill, Maryland, the place they list as their headquarters?

What ever anyone has to say about this will be most appreciated.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yep, they are Poetry.com, and I fell for them too, years ago.

They operate under several names: National Library of Poetry, International Library of Poetry, Poetry.com, and they share a mailing list with Noble somethingorother in the UK.
Please run far, far away!

Here are some sad details:

http://windpub.com/literary.scams/

Make sure to read this one, which deals with the conventions and awards: http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/bigmoney.htm

IdentityUnknown

Appreciation

Thanks, Paint, I will heed your advice...already on the run as it is :hat:

Jenna, thanks for the links; the second was especially insightful. Double thanks also for resetting my user name so I don't look so peculiar (on the page, that is; in person might be a different tale to tell:Guitar:

Now I must stagger off to recover my composure for being a sucker. I didn't realize I craved attention so much until I paid someone for it. Which brings me back to my first water cooler forum of "Meetthelosers." I now know I still am one.:whip:

Last edited:

IdentityUnknown

Redemption is possible

Hello everyone.

I have been digging a little deeper into the ILP and complaints against them. Check out the following links and, if you have had any contact with the ILP and would like their deceptive practices stop, take action.

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/contests.html

http://www.stopilp.com/

It burns me up that there are outfits who purport to benefit writers but only seek to take advantage of them just so they can make money from someone else's efforts and talent. It lowers one's self esteem and ruins opportunities for real career advancement/enhancement as a writer. After your work is "published" by these sleeze outfits, there is little hope of it being published else where by reputable concerns; plus, it casts doubt on you the writer as to your ability to write and be taken seriously.

So, anyone reading this who has had dealings with this group, please step forward and take action. If we can't put them out of business, maybe we can slow them down somehow.

Ilsensine

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds exactly the same as poetry.com... I think Jenna has it quite correct!

I submitted a poem to them quite a few years ago, just for fun... I ran a mile as soon as the awards crap and monetary demands arrived. The tragic thing is that I think I am "published" in some of their horrid annuals. Luckily I have retained my sense of humour and find it quite funny now.

Don't allow yourself to feel debased because there are morons like those guys out there, Ident... I have since had poetry published in better places, and nobody has come to abuse me about my dirty poetry.com past! I feel for you if you have outlayed cash, but find a way to rise above them, use your feelings for them to fuel some new poetry! You, whether naive, or feeling small right now, are worth a thousand of those hellhole little companies. We all fall for scams at first, I think, but it gets better with time and experience!

Bruce

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I submitted one to them in fun a few months ago. It was a horrid piece that I wrote back in grade school, but -- of course -- it was BRILLIANT and should be published immediately in their latest anthology, and for the mere price of $24.95, I could have one for each of my family and friends! :ROFL: Of course, I ignored the response. I just wanted to see if there would be one.
What I hadn't considered is that I would be thereafter inundated with offers to attend award ceremonies for the small price of $595 (not including the cost of the room.) Naturally, if I didn't attend, there would be no plaque. :eek: How could this be?

Perhaps we need a Poetry.com Sock Puppit! ;)

IdentityUnknown

Feelings of self loathing and disgust have now past and I do manage to chuckle a little as I think of dire and dark dirty deeds that would be nice to employ as revenge; good thing I am non-violent :) Thanks Cathy, Bruce, and Paint for your words of encouragement. Cathy, maybe a voo doo doll would be more in fitting than a sock puppit?
Obviously, though, you are all more wise than I to see them as they were before laying out hard cash. It was after I had done this that the light switch in my brain slowly went on and asked the question, why am I paying to be rewarded? Wouldn't they just give it to me without any strings attached if I truly was a winner? I guess I tend to believe and trust too much and thought I would know a scam when I saw one but, in this case, I sure didn't. Not the first time I've been taken in by something, but I didn't even suspect there were intellectual scams going on. Pretty seedy and lowbrow. A name like the International Library of Poetry at One Poetry Plaze, Owings Mill, Maryland sounds so legitimate so I didn't even bother checking on it first. Besides, it is back near the nation's capital so it had to be good, right? Must have slipped my mind that Dubious George and his cronies hang out in that neighborhood. Well, now I know.

rich

I sent them one about ten years ago. It was, of course published, but I didn't buy anything. My wife saw an add in our local newspaper--win $10,000. Don't feel bad, prior to my sending it I had published verse in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Sat. Eve. Post, etc. I currently have 10 haiku in the latest issue of Rosebud. Only way you can go now is up.