Avoiding bad agents

DisobedientWriter

Kirsten Lesko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
disobedientwriter.com
A few people have mentioned on my blog today that bad agents are worse than no agents.

Are there any tips to spotting bad agents beyond the common sense tips in all the query books? (i.e. Stay away from agents who charge reading fees).

Are there any bad-agent signs that writers can look for once they've signed on with an agent?

Thanks!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any bad-agent signs that writers can look for once they've signed on with an agent?

Well, once you've signed... It's best to research the agent before signing with them. And before you sign, make sure there's a clause in the contract (if there is a contract) that allows either party to terminate the agreement with notice. I'm not going to go into all that here, because there's a wealth of info on contracts in other forums.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" agent, aside from the scammers etc., but an agent who isn't the right fit for you. You have to decide what you want out of the relationship, what is most important, and what your expectations are. Once you're clear on these, you won't need anyone to tell you what signs to look for. You'll know if it's working or not.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think an important step is talking to current/former clients. It's the same as an employer doing reference checks by talking to current/former co-workers.

You can only learn so much from what the person says about themselves. While each client will have a different experience with an agent based on the dynamics in their own specific relationship, you can at least get a feel for issues that may have become concerns during your own interview process.

I skipped this step once when I met someone with great credentials and contacts, and we developed an instant rapport. But it turns out he was remarkably unambitious and never actually followed through on submissions--even those specifically requested by publishers.

If I'd talked to a couple people he was working with I might have found that out before I set myself up for a several month setback.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" agent, aside from the scammers etc., but an agent who isn't the right fit for you.

That "etc." is a big one, though. Bad agents are people who mean well but have little knowledge of or experience in the industry. They don't intend to cheat writers, but they're just not qualified for the job.

Last edited: