PDA

View Full Version : Banned?

DennisB
04-01-2010, 04:21 AM
How does one find out if one has been banned? I've posted two new threads that were taken down and sent into ether-land. May I assume I am no longer welcome here?

poetinahat
04-01-2010, 04:24 AM
If you're banned, you can't post or PM - you can't even log in. Are you sure your threads were taken down? They may have just been moved to another subforum deemed more appropriate. (Check your User CP and look for the threads you started.)

Also, if users create duplicate threads, the duplicates will likely be deleted, or the threads will be merged.

If you'd been banned, you'd know. I hope you're feeling a bit more welcome now!

benbradley
04-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Yeah, and instead of that little line below your ID saying "Almost Expert!" or whatever you set it to, it'll say a word that indicates you've been banned, so anyone who reads your posts will know too.

And it's (at least for disappearing or merging threads) not necessarily something you did wrong - often in the P&CE forum, several people will post new threads on a hot news item at about the same time, and mods will merge them into one big thread. I've seen this happen several times when a big-name celebrity dies.

You can PM the mod(s) of the forum(s) where you posted and ask what happened to the new threads you started.

Slushie
04-01-2010, 05:27 AM
And if any of what poet described did happen, then you send a Very Angry PM to every Supermod (don't forget to reference the First Amendment!).

I got a thread deleted once, and I wear that recognition of my twaddle as a crown.

No biggie. I think as long as we respectful of each other on a consistent basis, then bananation is only a dream.:e2cloud9:

Chris P
04-01-2010, 05:41 AM
And I know for a fact that you can't be banned for not being funny, for being a lousy writer, for missing the point of someone's post, or for not being able to find the "sarcastic font" option.

They still let me post! Seriously, I think you have to try to get banned.

KTC
04-01-2010, 05:55 AM
And I know for a fact that you can't be banned for not being funny, for being a lousy writer, for missing the point of someone's post, or for not being able to find the "sarcastic font" option.

They still let me post! Seriously, I think you have to try to get banned.

nope. trying doesn't work either. i tried. to no avail. le sigh.

maestrowork
04-01-2010, 06:02 AM
How does one find out if one has been banned? I've posted two new threads that were taken down and sent into ether-land. May I assume I am no longer welcome here?

Obviously you haven't been banned or else you wouldn't have been able to start this thread. That said, if you have a question about this or why your threads were taken down, you should contact an admin or mod.

Giant Baby
04-01-2010, 06:24 AM
I tried to ban myself once. Didn't take. They're really strict about that sort of thing here.

You could try flamming HapiSofi, or some obscure religion, if you like. You'll probably still come away with a warning, but it's a start. Otherwise, you'd have to just be a douchebag for so long no one wants to log in anymore for fear of dealing with you, and that takes a lot of time and douchebaggery. Seems like a lot of effort. I say, go with the HapiSofi thing.

But, I suspect your posts were just moved. I just wanted to help out anyway, in case you felt un-banned.

Good luck, and welcome!

:e2headban

GB

benbradley
04-01-2010, 06:46 AM
One last request, before you get yourself banned please post a really good flounce (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61043).

CheekyWench
04-01-2010, 06:50 AM
If this link (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/search.php?searchid=18118947) works, it will show you a list of your posts. :)

Chris P
04-01-2010, 07:00 AM
One last request, before you get yourself banned please post a really good flounce (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61043).

One of the best threads here.

dpaterso
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
If this link (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/search.php?searchid=18118947) works, it will show you a list of your posts. :)
Unfortunately searches and the links they generate tend to be temporary.

To list someone's posts, just click on their username in one of their posts, and select Find More Posts by..., e.g.

Find More Posts by DennisB (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=38126)

Which even works on April 1st...

-Derek

shaldna
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
You're not banned. Maybe it was a duplicate thread, OT or offensive.

Medievalist
04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Yf ye be banned, şe logon screne wilt redeth şusly:

Ye be banned.

Yeshanu
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM

I did that.

Twice.

I'm still here...

(I think.)

stormie
04-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I got banned once. For 15 minutes. But I never flounced. I'm too stormy to do that.

dclary
04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
What you'll see when you come to AW is this:

"You have been banned because of:"

and then a brief (or, in my case, often, not-so-brief) description of what you did that was wrong.

In addition there will be a line indicating when the ban will be lifted. Very often for first offenses or minor infractions, it's a three-day-time out.

In rare cases, the ban-lift date is "never" in which case your chances of coming back are extraordinarily slim.

What others will see, will either be "on three-day enforced vacation" or some other witticism on your status, or a flat out "banned."

Cyia
04-02-2010, 12:10 AM

Flounces are always ruined by people coming back to see the repercussions of their flounce. Sure, it's the only way to make themselves feel good when the masses rally behind them for enduring whatever atrocity left them nowhere to go but out (<--- sarcasm, don't'cha know), but it's an automatic 2 point deduction for form and style for each additional post after the initial "I'm outta here!"

Manuel Royal
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I got banned for disobeying a mod, and then banned some more for following a mod's advice. No flouncing, though. I haven't paid attention to such things here (my focus at AW is always on practical matters regarding the writing world), but another message board I used to post at (general interest) was periodically taken over by telenovela-level melodrama involving tearful fairwells, threats, false claims of terminal illness, written evidence of psychotic breaks, etc.

I guess all the Ents have agreed by now that DennisB is not banned. In fact, he's on a distinguished road.

dclary
04-02-2010, 12:30 AM
My favorite flounce was at another site, where after the flouncer flounced, she had someone else log in and say that said flouncer had been so upset by the heated debates (ok, it could verily have been called a "flame war") that she had, and I quote, "fallen into a comma."

The laughter was almost two pages long.

Manuel Royal
04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
My favorite flounce was at another site, where after the flouncer flounced, she had someone else log in and say that said flouncer had been so upset by the heated debates (ok, it could verily have been called a "flame war") that she had, and I quote, "fallen into a comma."Sounds like something from The Phantom Tollbooth.

darkprincealain
04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
false claims of terminal illness,

Evil, thy name is Munchausen's by internet. :D

NewKidOldKid
04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Has anybody, ever, been banned forever? And if so, can't they just come back with a different username?

KTC
04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Has anybody, ever, been banned forever? And if so, can't they just come back with a different username?

YES. & NO---big brother is watching. (and his name is Mac.)

(-;

mscelina
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
YES. & NO---big brother is watching. (and hisHER name is Mac.)

(-;

There. Fixed it for ya.

Jersey Chick
04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
fallen into a comma. That's gotta suck.

Haggis
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
fallen into a comma. That's gotta suck.

Heck, yeah. They've got sharp, pointy things on 'em.

willietheshakes
04-15-2010, 12:28 AM
"fallen into a comma."

It's better than falling into a colon -- that's a particularly crappy deal all round.

Silver King
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Yes, some members have been banned forever. And yes, a few have come back with different usernames. Then they get banned all over again. It's kind of fun to watch if you're not the person in charge of keeping them from rejoining the site. It can be annoying, and the former members never last for long in their new incarnations to make it worth their while anyway.

KTC
04-15-2010, 04:14 AM
There. Fixed it for ya.

ah, poop. i was practicing being a newbie, as in:

Who's this Mac guy and why should he be able to tell me what I can do!!!!!!!!!!!

Monkey
04-15-2010, 04:54 AM
That "fallen into a comma" thing is terrible.

No lie, the other day, on my way to Beeville, I saw a woman on the side of the road with a sign that said, "Daughter is in a comma, need money to go to San Antonio". I couldn't help but laugh--and then feel really rotten about it.

(Yes, I did help her out, no, I didn't tell her about the error on her sign.)

Medievalist
04-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Yes, some members have been banned forever. And yes, a few have come back with different usernames. Then they get banned all over again. It's kind of fun to watch if you're not the person in charge of keeping them from rejoining the site. It can be annoying, and the former members never last for long in their new incarnations to make it worth their while anyway.

We catch most of them in the moderation process for approving new members. And when the Admins miss one, the Mods and members step up to the bat.

We've got great people here.

Jersey Chick
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Those commas can suck the life right outta you, if you aren't careful.

Ken
04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
... and for those who do wind up getting banned all hope is not lost. Most bans aren't permanent, lasting between 3-7 days on average and occasionally longer depending on the offense. And even if one does get booted permanently one can still write Obama. Doesn't happen often, but presidents do hand out pardons particularly towards the end of their terms. So don't post anything really outrageous until 2012 at the earliest ;-)

benbradley
04-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Is a punctured comma as bad as a ... oh, never mind.

Inky
04-15-2010, 02:02 PM
ah, poop. i was practicing being a newbie, as in:
someone actually posted this?
(doesn't show up...but it said: who is this Mac person and who is he to tell me what to do?)
Not perfectly quoted...

How did I miss this post?
Oh, the oodles of fun this must have caused.:evil

KTC
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
someone actually posted this?
(doesn't show up...but it said: who is this Mac person and who is he to tell me what to do?)
Not perfectly quoted...

How did I miss this post?
Oh, the oodles of fun this must have caused.:evil

It was a general quote that I made. People ALWAYS mistaken Mac for a guy and say stuff like the example I used. You're just not looking hard enough.

CaroGirl
04-15-2010, 04:11 PM
It was a general quote that I made. People ALWAYS mistaken Mac for a guy and say stuff like the example I used. You're just not looking hard enough.
Oh, oh <waves hand madly like Horshack> I've seen that!! Always makes me cringe and then go make popcorn to watch the carnage. Now THAT's entertainment.

zahra
04-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Is a punctured comma as bad as a ... oh, never mind.
'punctured colon' - There, I said it.:evil

dclary
04-16-2010, 04:36 AM

No. When you get permabanned, they will first set your AW cookie to "banned" so you can't even log out to register a new account unless you use a different browser or clear your cookies.

And then, if they suspect of you doing these things, they'll ban your IP address.

Monkey
04-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Off topic, but I think it's awesome how all the mods have converted to Flying Monkeyism.

Rock on.

Birol
04-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Did we convert or were we converted?

Chase
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Still, the best ban is the personal ban--the ignore.

Best at it is a local physician who, when his god-like opinion is doubted, will announce you are on ignore.

So you post again about his confusion between fertilizer and car polish, and he's right back at you saying this time you're really on ignore.

Ha ha ha, but you know that's just more doctor bilge because he goes out of his way to follow your posts with more misconceptions from the field of quackery. It's hilarious.