Mobile phones - voicemail capacity

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
How many voicemail messages will a mobile phone store before the message space becomes full?

The question relates to 2004 technology.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Voicemail is a server-side service. In other words, the telecom company stores voicemails on its own equipment; messages are not stored on the handset. You may want to read your contract or talk to a representative about service limits. It's usually specified either in terms of maximum number of voicmails or total minutes. It depends.

Email is another story. Your handset (especially Blackberries) can store quite a few emails on the handset. But that's a software trick called 'caching' so that you don't have to fetch recent mails from the server each time you read them.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
My mailbox has a limit of 20 messages imposed by my phone company. After that people trying to leave a message get a recording telling them the mailbox is full.

Yes, I often forget to check my messages. :D

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Where are you located, Spidery?

I rang O2, my own phone company. They say the answer depends on the phone. On older phones, when the SIM card was used for storage, 20-30 messages max.

ETA: He said "older" here means 3 years ago.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Where are you located, Spidery?

I rang O2, my own phone company. They say the answer depends on the phone. On older phones, when the SIM card was used for storage, 20-30 messages max.

ETA: He said "older" here means 3 years ago.
Mine is an older phone (10 years old, actually). I have no idea how it might work on a modern phone. Everyone else I know checks their messages more often than once every six months. :D