PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good, honest agent.

happilyeverafter
03-31-2010, 03:55 AM
i know this thread might have been done lots of times, but when i did a search, most of them were pretty old and... times change :)

anyways, im the author of 3 unpublished books. im planning to publish my newest one which is a fantasy, romantic peice.

does anyone have a really good agent they would like to recommend me?

Thank you.

happilyeverafter
03-31-2010, 03:56 AM
oh, if it matters, i live in Toronto, Canada.

firedrake
03-31-2010, 04:02 AM
Do your research. Read through the threads about agents on here.

Plus, QueryTracker is a very handy resource.

Cathy C
03-31-2010, 04:07 AM
If you mostly write romance, you might consider joining Romance Writers of America (http://www.rwanational.org). The members aren't just from America. I know at least a dozen who are in Canada. There are several on-line chapters where members from all countries hang out virtually, and there are a bunch of articles and lists on the main website where you'll learn a ton about submitting both to Canadian and American agents. :) Even if only for a year, you'll learn more than you can imagine.

If you write fantasy with a TOUCH of romance, I'd also recommend SFWA (http://www.sfwa.org)(Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America). Again, lots of authors from various countries.

Lucy
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM
The way you phrased the question indicates that you might not quite be ready for an agent. I say that not to be discouraging but to allow for the possibility that maybe you should focus on the writing for a while.

When you're ready, Query Tracker, Agent Query, and reading various agent's blogs will help narrow down a target list.

Good luck to you.

shaldna
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Aren't we all.

Paul
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
With a GSOH, no baggage, home owner, tall, dark hair, generous and ideally single.

Cyia
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM
The way you phrased the question indicates that you might not quite be ready for an agent. I say that not to be discouraging but to allow for the possibility that maybe you should focus on the writing for a while.

My first thought as well. Hone your skills 1st, then find an agent. (And as much as it's an accomplishment to finish multiple books, those "unpublished" ones don't count for much when looking for an agent.)

When you are ready to look for one, take the advice others have given and search AgentQuery/QueryTracker. Make a list of the agents that fit your needs (genre, etc.) and then check them out here in Bewares and Background Checks and/or P&E (Preditors & Editors) to make sure they're someone you want to work with.

Then write a great query and see what happens.

Danthia
03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Cathy C has great advice. I have a blog post with all kinds of links to sites that can help you in this search (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/10/hunt-is-on.html). (I'd re-post here but it's long)

There are lots of great agents out there, but it's best for you to do some research to see which ones are the best fit for you. You might have different qualifications about the kind of agent you want to work with than another writer, so what's "right" for them may not be "right" for you.