Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
Not too long ago I posted about my anxiety at waiting for my grad school responses. Since then, I've gotten four responses, all rejections. Three I didn't really expect to get into anyway, but one I thought I really had a good chance at.

So, it sucks. It's probably the suckiest of suckiest feelings. I still have six I'm waiting on, but I just don't see it happening this year. And you know, I know I shouldn't be sad. I have job prospects. I'm fresh out of undergrad, so it's not a bad thing to wait. I have publication credentials under my belt, three of which I caught this year. Which means life shouldn't suck. And yet, I find myself ennui and in need of a few supportive words.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sorry to hear your news!

It does suck to face this kind of change-of-plans (this week's weather has not been a help--I hope you and yours are safe).

I do think you should be sad when circumstances are sad...no point to denying your heart on top of everything else, you know? After you accept your disappointments you'll be able to start putting some of your Plan B's into effect with a fresh energy.

Be kind to yourself!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Hey mystic.

Let me tell you, I've been there and now I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

I completed my first undergrad degree in 2007 applying to tons of med schools. They all rejected me. So did the pharmacy program. And the masters programs. The last two groups rejected me because I almost flunked Calculus, which I didn't need to graduate and only took because I was afraid I might not get into med school so I wanted to at least hopefully get into pharmacy. Ha.

So I went back for another two years of English to get a B.A. I had great grades. Applied to med school etc. Didn't get in.

Out of sheer desperation I apply to Law school because I thought okay maybe I can be a lawyer for some reason. Lol I had no clue what I wanted to do. I screwed up royally on my LSAT.

Basically, my post-high school life has consisted almost entirely of people shutting the door in my face. But this year I figured out what I want to do and now I'm happily enrolled in the Masters of cultural Studies program with a huge scholarship.

But I think I had to go through all that to figure out who I am and what I want. Plus all the rejections and the trials make you stronger, and helps you appreciate the little victories you do get. It's a lot like the querying process. Right now I'm back in a bit of a rut because I feel like my stuff just isn't good enough. But again that only makes me want to work harder to improve so I can achieve that goal. And I do believe I'll get there one day.

You'll get to where you want to be too! Just remember to not give up and keep working hard!

PS - OMG Sora :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Roly. I got turned down by tons of schools. No idea why considering I had a good undergrad record and had always done well in my classes and had good recommendations. The one I was accepted to wasn't the one I expected to go to, but it all worked out in the end. I'm sure something will turn out okay. :)

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys. I do agree that everything happens for a reason, I just have trouble believing that at the moments when I receive bad news :) Now that I've had some time to process I do feel a lot better, and I know that if I don't go to grad school this year, that's just an opportunity to apply again this year or next with an even stronger writing sample. I don't regret applying, though. If I didn't apply, I know I'd be wondering, "What if?" forever.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Mystic,

Sorry to hear you haven't gotten the news you were hoping for. You'll find that in life there are often far more rejections than acceptances.

But the path unfolds one year, day, hour, second at a time.

Rumi said: "You are the only faithful student you have." Here, read some of the whole poems, you'll feel better. If you don't, I'll send a check for triple your money back (3x0= :) )

http://www.sufism.org/books/barks.html

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do agree that everything happens for a reason, I just have trouble believing that at the moments when I receive bad news :) Now that I've had some time to process I do feel a lot better, and I know that if I don't go to grad school this year, that's just an opportunity to apply again this year or next with an even stronger writing sample. I don't regret applying, though. If I didn't apply, I know I'd be wondering, "What if?" forever.

You can also retake the GRE again if you need to. Well, if you had to take it in the first place. ;) I took mine while sick and running on about four hours of sleep, and my math score was craaaazy low as a result. I also screwed up a bit on the writing section...spent awhile writing out a few pages, then went back to make sure I'd answered all the parts of the question, only to realize I'd misread it and had to rewrite the whole thing. Luckily, my writing scores are always high enough to pull something like that off. ;) But yeah, point being it had been a terrible day to take a test, but considering I had to pay for it and schedule in advance I didn't have the option of just doing it on a different day. I'd always figured if I couldn't get into school (the score was still decent, just not as high as it could have been) I'd go back and redo the test.

You've also got plenty of people around here who could help you with a writing sample if you felt it wasn't strong enough. :) And if you didn't get accepted, you might find that you were thankful and glad to take a year off. I went to grad school straight out of college, and while I'm fine with how things turned out, one bit of advice I kept getting from everyone was that I should really take some time off in between just to get some other experiences in there as well.

Mystic Blossom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You guys are the bomb. RainbowDragon: I'm definitely used to a high number of rejections. Get them for my short stories almost weekly. But rejections from grad school feel so different, and definitely get to me.

And Kaitie, I should have done that to begin with! I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Since I've applied, I've had a lot more time to think about my writing and the direction it's going in, and whether a traditional MFA in creative writing would even be the best thing for me. I went to my old college yesterday to visit some friends, and talked with one of my professors about an MFA in children's and young adult writing instead, which feels more and more like it would honestly suit my needs so much better, so I will definitely be looking into that for next year.

And hey, two rejections since my first post. Four more responses to go!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick hug and a second vote for retaking the GRE. Our son was not satisfied with the math scores on his first testing and knew what area he should have reviewed more thoroughly. He scraped together the money to take it again, and scored a perfect 800 on the math.

Which isn't to say you flubbed the GRE, just that if you feel you did, you can no doubt redeem yourself.

I agree that people intelligent enough to see grad school as a good option are also intelligent enough to create opportunities with whatever other options are open to them. Even if you end up in shoe sales, you'll be revolutionizing the way it's done within two years, right?

Okay, I lied--two quick hugs. You're going to be fine, I promise.

Maryn, who knows

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Since I've applied, I've had a lot more time to think about my writing and the direction it's going in, and whether a traditional MFA in creative writing would even be the best thing for me. I went to my old college yesterday to visit some friends, and talked with one of my professors about an MFA in children's and young adult writing instead, which feels more and more like it would honestly suit my needs so much better, so I will definitely be looking into that for next year.

And hey, two rejections since my first post. Four more responses to go!

Thanks for the update--you certainly sound more "yourself" and up to the task of working things out!

You don't need luck, so I'll say, "Good-for-you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.