PDA

View Full Version : Publishing lengthy verse

jimflint1
08-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Hi,

I have a rather long poem (120 lines) that I've written--actually it's a cowboy poem. I've come up blank on all the on-line venues. Oh there are a lot of non-paying markets that will look at it, but not any paying ones I can find that are still in business. I think this poem would do well as a short book with illustrations, but I haven't been able to find out who publishes those kinds of books. I've seen one company that does, but they aren't accepting any submissions (The Race by Dee Groberg). If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Shane

IdentityUnknown
08-24-2005, 07:15 AM
One poem by itself? Not sure, Shane, but you might have better luck in trying to publish a collection, even with illustrations. If I were a publisher, I would be more interested in that. Maybe even you could self publish; there are a gamut of firms willing to help with a project of that sort. By the way, does anyone ever write sonnets or epic poems today? I'm considering one on Bush and Iraq :-)

jimflint1
08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
One poem by itself? Not sure, Shane, but you might have better luck in trying to publish a collection, even with illustrations. If I were a publisher, I would be more interested in that. Maybe even you could self publish; there are a gamut of firms willing to help with a project of that sort. By the way, does anyone ever write sonnets or epic poems today? I'm considering one on Bush and Iraq :-)

Thanks. The reason why I say one poem by itself is the message behind it. It's a story, really, in poem form, and I've seen other such books. The subject involves Christmas and giving, and I think it would be a real winner at that time of year. I've thought of self-publishing, though at this point, maybe I should wait until early next year to try and have it out by October of 2006.

Shane

Pat~
08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Wish I could help, but actually have the same problem myself with a long Christmas poem. (Not quite as long as yours!) I'll be interested to find out any info posted here about paying poetry markets. The problem with mine is that at 40 lines, it's too short for a book, and probably too long for any magazine market.

Oh well, I can always put it in the Christmas cards this year!

jimflint1
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
That's what I did with my poem a couple of years ago--I included it with the Christmas letter. One of the problems with me doing a collection is that I'm not really that much of a poet--I write short stories and longer fiction, as well as non-fiction. Poetry only happens with me on a periodic basis (although 25 years ago or so I wrote a lot of poetry). Good luck with yours!

Shane

Alphabet
08-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Seems like if you can find a country/western christian childrens/parenting magazine you've got an in. They may not advertise that they want this but you can still send it to them as a 'special feature' and enquire whether they would like to include it in their christmas edition. If you choose a magazine that does pay then it just comes down to whether they will pay at their features rate or their poetry rate (if they have one).

Will this work? I don't know.. but you could find out and tell us all about it :popcorn:

You might also want to post it in the Poetry Critique Forum if you'd like to see if it can be improved before sending it out there.

Pat~
08-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Shane, I just thought of something. I'd forgotten, but I did submit my poem a few weeks ago to this market searching for Christmas poems, stories, etc. for an anthology due out this year! You might want to check it out:

Mark Gilroy Communications, Inc.

6528 E. 101st Street, Suite 416

Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133-6754

918-607-0069 (p) / 918-298-0041 (f)

mark@markgilroy.com (http://us.f532.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mark@markgilroy.com)

http://www.markgilroy.com (http://www.markgilroy.com/)

Your Stories Needed!

Mark Gilroy Communications is currently accepting submissions for our newest project, a fun, light, cheer-me-up book series. We’re collecting a mix of lengths and genres—stories, poems, inspirational essays and devotion-style Bible studies, how-to’s, lists, activities, factoids—to give our readers a little boost.

This will be a Christian inspiration book, but some portions of the material can and should be general life principles and humor.

We’re hoping that this book will attract people who might be having a bad day or facing difficulties. So while we do want to give you room to write about difficult days and tough times, we’d like you to be sure and keep some whimsy and lightheartedness throughout.

We’d like to keep stories below 1,000 words, though longish stories (800-1000 words) are more than welcome. Shorts are also welcome.

E-mail submissions are preferred: Send to jessica@markgilroy.com (http://us.f532.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=jessica@markgilroy.com) and/or mark@markgilroy.com (http://us.f532.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mark@markgilroy.com). You can also send via post to: Mark Gilroy Communications; 6528 E. 101st St. Suite 416; Tulsa, OK 74133.

Our deadline is flexible at this point. After August, 31, however, please query before submitting.

Upon acceptance, we’ll provide a gift of appreciation anywhere from $20 to $75, evaluating each piece based on length, etc.

Please feel free to contact us with questions, comments, or ideas: jessica@markgilroy.com