Playwright Contest Discussion (Questions, etc for those old and new to playwriting)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm starting this thread in the hopes that some here who have never attempted to write a play are considering joining in on the AW Playwright Contest. If you would like to get your feet wet, but you're still a bit shy about attempting a play...please feel free to ask questions here. There are a few playwrights here who would be able to answer any questions you may have about the process.

Also, any contest questions...please feel free to discuss here.

I hope to see non-playwrights taking on this challenge. It's a great way to refine your dialogue skills.

Good luck to all...and happy playwriting!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, if I can find a topic I like. If nothing else, I'll enjoy reading everyone else's submissions. ;)
If you want ideas, just let us know. We might be able to at least get you started.

I can think of half a dozen just looking at your avatar.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been tinkering with the idea of participating in this contest. I've been reading through a few threads on the playwright forum to get the feel of what one looks like. I've never read anything like it, let alone write it.

I do have two questions:
a) can I/should I write down a set change that occurs within the scene?

b) is the play supposed to be like a short story, with a beginning-middle-conclusion, is it supposed to be just one scene from a bigger play?

Thanks much.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
The play should be self contained with a beginning, middle and end. It needs to tell the whole story.

Can you have a set change: Yes. Should you: No. Ten minutes is not a lot of time to tell a story. To take time out for a set change is not a good use of the available time.

There is another, more important reason not to change the set: Every time the action on stage stops (for a scene change, intermission or even light down and back up to show the passage of time), it takes the audience three to five minutes to get back into the action of the play. You just can't afford this in a ten minute play.

Doug

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
The set change I was thinking was not that complex, but I see your point. Thanks. ;)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep. I thought it was a good rule to set. I've been involved in two 10-minute play festivals so far (had plays produced) and they were very staunch on the 1-set rule. I've been looking around at a lot of 10-minute festivals and contests too...I haven't found one yet that does not have that 1-set rule. It's a matter of timing in a play this short. It just makes sense. They are usually run on low budget too.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping as a reminder.

Only one day left!

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Darn entry is driving me insane. I'm only still working on it to prove I'm more insane than the entry.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
16 1/2 hours left to PM your entries to me. Good luck.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only about twelve hours to go . . .

Remember, it doesn't cost anything to enter. Even if you're not completely satisfied with what you have, you can still enter it. It might be better than you think. Most of us could tinker around with what we write for weeks (or months).

Of course, if you're like me, as soon as you send something in, you will immediately think of lines you wish you had rewritten. Or then you will notice the glaring typo.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, too, that some godawful plays are revered or enjoyed by others. So even if you are not at all impressed with your own effort, that doesn't mean it won't please somebody else.

I went to three one-acts on Monday. One was pretty good. One was really good. And one was astonishingly sucktacular, yet had been chosen by a dramaturg as worthy.

Maryn, who sent hers in

rockinhorseman

Registered
Reaction score
Treatment

I am developing a screen-play. I need a good example, (one I can read) of what is currently being used as a format for a "Treatment". Am I in the right room... not sure?

Thanks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am developing a screen-play. I need a good example, (one I can read) of what is currently being used as a format for a "Treatment". Am I in the right room... not sure?

Thanks.
No, this is the playwriting sub-forum. But don't worry, a moderator will move it if needed.

Have you looked at the stickies on the main Script page? There might be a link to some example treatments (I'm not sure).

An alternate is to buy a new or used copy of The Screenwriter's Bible ($10-$15). It will save you a lot of time with questions such as this when you're writing a screenplay.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about using this thread to discuss playwright contests other than AW's?

[Deleted to place it in a separate thread]

Last edited: