No wormholes appeared and swallowed the earth...

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's good I guess.

"This is thought to have a profound role in the structure of the Universe, and would enable scientists to explain why matter has mass - something which, at a fundamental level, they have difficulty doing at present."

Explain why matter has mass?? I am not educated in this at all, but seriously? If we learn how "matter has mass" is that going to solve world hunger? Make world peace? Cure cancer?

I just really don't understand or care why matter has mass. :e2shrug:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well that's good I guess.

"This is thought to have a profound role in the structure of the Universe, and would enable scientists to explain why matter has mass - something which, at a fundamental level, they have difficulty doing at present."

Explain why matter has mass?? I am not educated in this at all, but seriously? If we learn how "matter has mass" is that going to solve world hunger? Make world peace? Cure cancer?

If you know how mass works, you can do something with the knowledge.

You don't like science? You want to cure the hunger instead? Well, if we hadn't gone to the moon, we wouldn't really have computers as we know them. Computers are a direct by product of basic research done in the fifties and sixties, and I'd say that computers have helped alleviate a lot of problems.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If we learn how "matter has mass" is that going to solve world hunger? Make world peace? Cure cancer?

I have one word for you: Hoverboards!

The more we understand about how the universe works, the better. Quantum mechanics, for example, has given us loads of cool tech, from lasers to GPS to memory sticks; and indeed MRI scanners, which do help cure cancer. We probably can't predict how this research will turn out to be useful, but if we took that as a reason not to do it we'd never get any science done.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

:Wha:

I just don't have a funny quip for this.

What if Columbus didn't care if there was a route to India through the west?

What if Magellan didn't care about sailing around the world?

What if Marco Polo didn't care to go to the East? (Well, for one thing we wouldn't have fun pool game.)

What if Einstein didn't care if E equals MC squared?

What if Copernicus didn't care about what was "out there?"

What if...

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If we learn how "matter has mass" is that going to solve world hunger? Make world peace? Cure cancer?

Solving world hunger and making world peace are social, economic and political problems. We could solve them tomorrow, if everyone agreed to the sacrifices that would have to be made, but they don't.

Learning how matter has mass is important for the same reason that any basic scientific research into how the universe works is important. All that knowledge adds up, and allows us to make advances as a species.

Everything we have ever built is based on knowledge of how things work. Say you wanted to build a better garden wheelbarrow. You could look for materials that are light but resistant to a range of weather conditions, are strong, are easily manufactured and are harmless to the environment. And you'd be able to do this because we know about chemicals and manufacturing processes, and how they can be used, because people have studied them in detail, and they've tried combinations of chemicals, and they've drawn on the studies of people in all sorts of fields of research who have looked at things at their most basic level. And this approach applies whether we want to build a fleet of spaceships to carry everyone to a new world because the supervolcano under Yellowstone is about to blow and wipe out life on Earth, or we're designing a new type of needle that can deliver vaccines painlessly, or we're designing a new type of storage medium to improve on Blu-ray, or we're curing cancer.

Knowledge for its own sake doesn't have to mean anything to you, but it's easy to appreciate that you never know when some piece of knowledge will be needed.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I have one word for you: Hoverboards!

The more we understand about how the universe works, the better. Quantum mechanics, for example, has given us loads of cool tech, from lasers to GPS to memory sticks; and indeed MRI scanners, which do help cure cancer. We probably can't predict how this research will turn out to be useful, but if we took that as a reason not to do it we'd never get any science done.

Science, feh! Where's my jet pack? Where's my flying car? You promised!

I'm putting my bets on the

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Science, feh! Where's my jet pack? Where's my flying car? You promised!
]

Pah. What's a jet pack when everyone can become the Silver Surfer?

SilverSurferInThyNamePg00.jpg

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who lived for a few years over the semi-completed track of the "Supercollider" in Texas, I'll say I wouldn't want to live anywhere near that thing. I'm not sure if it's because they never completed it or not, but that thing drew lightning strikes like crazy.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who lived for a few years over the semi-completed track of the "Supercollider" in Texas, I'll say I wouldn't want to live anywhere near that thing. I'm not sure if it's because they never completed it or not, but that thing drew lightning strikes like crazy.
You should read the novel "Einstein's Bridge" - with what REALLY happened there (I won't spoil it), it's no surprise there's a lot of lightning around.

Here's two previous threads we've had on the LHC (and The End Of The World), they're fun to read through:
Terrifying!!! We've finally learned enough to destroy ourselves!!
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102452

Is Tomorrow The End Of The World?
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115414

Dunno why the "Terrifying" thread got shut down. Maybe the mods ran out of liquid helium.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
"A year ago, I was close to perfecting the first magnetic desalinisation process. So revolutionary, it was capable of removing the salt from over a million gallons of sea water a day. Do you realise what that could mean to the starving nations of the earth?"

"Wow...they'd have enough salt to last forever."