The AW Playwright Contest! GUIDELINES

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
THE GUIDELINES HAVE BEEN EDITED--AS OF APRIL 8, 2010!

The Playwrights have spoken. It seems there is enough interest to go forward with the first AW Playwright Contest! So here are the guidelines for participating:

AW Playwright Contest

THEME: Open

TYPE: ONE ACT - ONE SCENE. Up to 10-Minutes in length (Take the time to time your play...make sure it does not run beyond 10-minutes. Shorter would be ideal, as plays must be read and voted on once posted.)

PLAYERS: 1 - 3 Characters. (Any play with more than 3 characters will not be accepted.

SUBMISSION PERIOD: APRIL 2nd - APRIL 15th PM your finished play to me (KTC) here on the forum. Only one submission will be allowed---no multiple submissions OR subsequent draft submissions. (if for some reason the formatting is not working on your submission I will let you know via PM and give you an email address to submit it to.)

FORM:

TITLE: The title of your play
GENRE: Comedy (or other - open to your whim)
CHARACTERS: List your characters (and any relevant attributes you deem necessary to mention.)
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: A two sentence synopsis of your play
SETTING: Describe your setting (remember, you have only 1 setting...as this is a short play.)

Any stage directions will be shown in CLOSED BRACKETS. [like this. in italics too.]

For easy formatting to AW, please have lines formatted as follows:

LUCY: Margo! Margo! [Looks in all directions. Obviously distressed. Stops downstage left in front of audience] I’m going to kill her. As God is my witness, I’ll wring her bloody neck. And then, when she’s dead, I’ll kill her again. [Walks to centre-stage left, to bank of lockers.] God-dammit, Margo. This isn’t funny. Enough is enough. You’re really creeping me out now. If you’re hiding on me, you’re dead.

MARGO [Jumps out of the closest locker.]: GOTTCHA! [Laughs.]

LUCY [Shrieks and pushes MARGO]: JESUS! What the hell is wrong with you?

MARGO: Come on, Luce. Relax. I’m just playin’ with you. You’re so tense. This could be fun, you know. Where’s your sense of adventure?

LUCY: I’m from Newmarket, Margo. We don’t do adventure in Newmarket. This is Whitby. What the hell is a Whitby, anyway? [Leans against wall, centre right, and slides to floor.] We’re gonna die here and I don’t even know where the hell here is. Why do I let you talk me in to these things?

I will post the submitted plays on Saturday April 17th, at which point they may be openly discussed by both the entrants and the AW community at large.

WINNERS WILL BE DETERMINED BY JUDGING. TWO JUDGES, BOTH WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE THEATRE COMMUNITY, WILL JUDGE THE ENTRIES AND AWARD PRIZES.

The playwriting contest entries will be judged. Each entry will be scored on a one to ten numerical basis in five categories--characterization, plot, theme, technical skill and overall performance value (theatrical potential). Each entry will receive some critique in addition to the score. In the case of a tie, the judges will determine between them the winner of the contest.

THE JUDGES WILL HAVE UNTIL APRIL 25th FOR THEIR READING PERIOD. I WILL ANNOUNCE THE RESULTS ON APRIL 26th!

Prizes: TBA - Looks like some CASH, gift cards, and maybe Caramel Corn (?) Will update as we progress! IF anybody would like to donate prizes, please PM me...even if you already mentioned them in the original thread discussing the contest.[/I]

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

*crumples draft of 'Whitby Surprise' and lobs it into bin*

er, I mean, Hooray! I really want to be in this one. Thank you, Kevin, for setting the wheels in motion!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you, Rob, for your exuberance! My hope is to get people who wouldn't normally write plays to write plays. I discovered a couple of years ago how much fun it can be. Really helps with dialogue writing too! I hope to see a poetinahat play!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caramel corn is hereby offered. I still have the description from the old days, when AW had auctions:

Maryn’s Caramel Corn

Home-made caramel-coated popcorn with your choice of peanuts, almonds, or bite-sized chunks of a broken beer bottle. (Brown and colorless glass only; green discontinued.)*

Fresh canola oil-popped popcorn, real butter, and dark brown sugar slow-bake, stirred every ten minutes, into Maryn’s Caramel Corn, a rich blend of candy-like decadence with health-friendly popcorn and protein from nuts. Add a glass of water and you can write for hours fueled by this stuff, as long as you lick your fingers after every handful.

The winner will receive approximately 2 quarts of caramel corn with nuts, wrapped in plastic as soon as it’s cool enough, then packaged and shipped via US mail within 24 hours of preparation. (Same day is likely but not guaranteed.)

Maryn, whose family calls this “Hardcob Cornography”

* For goodness’ sake, it’s a joke. We still drink both Heineken and Woodchuck. You can get green glass if you want.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Excellent offer, Maryn! Thanks much for the generosity!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Could I maybe get a MOD to post one of those forum wide announcement thingys that show up at the top of the post lists until you click on them and read it? Does that make sense...you know the ones...the announcement thingys. Please and thank you. (-;

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I hope there are playwrights and playwright wannabes furiously writing plays! I wouldn't want this opportunity to tank.

Good luck!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope there are playwrights and playwright wannabes furiously writing plays! I wouldn't want this opportunity to tank.

Good luck!
I've almost got one written. I'll probably sent it in later this week.

I'm using my regular playwriting software to keep it to ten-minutes, then I'll convert it for posting here.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have set out Muse treats, but so far, nada.

It's weird. I've recently finished something large, which usually means all the smaller ideas demanding attention vie for which I'll write, but they're remaining sluggish and logy. I sure hope one burbles to the surface in time.

If not, at least I get to make a goodie for the winner.

Maryn, Princess of Popcorn

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have set out Muse treats, but so far, nada.
Them Muses have gotten spoiled. It used to be you could invoke their help with a prayer, or maybe sacrificing a goat, now they want a Wii or an iPad.

We can play muse for anyone who needs a little help to get started. Not so much to give anyone the actual storyline, but something that might spark something in their own mind.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I think I've come up with something. It's quite cheesy, but hey - cheesy is what I do best. And it's my first attempt, so nyah. :tongue

Just gotta tweak it and read up on formatting...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I APPLAUD you, Ang. I hope you can hear me clapping.

My number one goal here was to get people who have never attempted playwriting to give it a try. It's a blast and it's great dialogue practice. I hope you enjoyed the experience. Can't wait to read your entry!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Well, I will always accept applause.

I did have a blast with this, and it gave me a chuckle if nothing else. Very strange to write without narrating the action, which was a good exercise in itself. Thanks for the contest, Kev.

Getting ready to hit "send" on the PM... :D

Aheïla

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriteaholicblog.wordpress.com
Oh! What an interesting contest! I just got here and I have a really busy life right now but I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere. Since it's not too long a script, I should be able to enter... should...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh! What an interesting contest! I just got here and I have a really busy life right now but I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere. Since it's not too long a script, I should be able to enter... should...

That would be wonderful, Aheïla. I hope you can get it done and entered. That would be great! And welcome to AW...Quebec is one of my favourite places in the world. (-:

Aheïla

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You've been here? I do love my city too (despite the very cold winters we have).

My mind being what it is, since I said I might take part in the contest, it started juggling possible stories. They'll haunted me until I write them down.
With every passing day, the chances of me entering increases.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm just east of Toronto...I've been to quite a few places in the province of Quebec. Been through it probably over a hundred times. Love it!

Good luck with the inspiration...and the writing.

Aheïla

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Me again!

I'm about halfway through and I realised I should probably ask a question.

Can more than three characters be named/implied by the dialogs/actions but never actually show up on stage?
For example, one of my characters talk about is fiancée. The fiancée herself never actually enters the scene nor speak. Does she count as a charater or does the maximum characters should be considered as "maximum actors you can hire"?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A person just mentioned wouldn't count as a character.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's right, Alley...yes, you can name any number...as long as it would only take no more than three to perform it. (-:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't seen The Muse, but she sent her buddy. I think he may have been drunk, the suggestions he made.

But at least I wrote something. I'll probably sit on it until closer to the deadline, but there will be at least one entry. Woo-hoo, huh?

Maryn, not yet pleased with her dinky play

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I still haven't seen The Muse, but she sent her buddy. I think he may have been drunk, the suggestions he made.

But at least I wrote something. I'll probably sit on it until closer to the deadline, but there will be at least one entry. Woo-hoo, huh?

Maryn, not yet pleased with her dinky play

At least two entries, Maryn. I already sent my dinky play. ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sending mine in tomorrow.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but will you call it 'dinky'? All the cool kids do.

Maryn, flailing about for a title but otherwise done