Music recs

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. So here's the deal. I'm working on a story, and would like some new music to go with it. I've currently got three things that work, which isn't much in terms of variety.

The first two are ones that work because it's the kind of music my MC listens to, namely Florence + The Machine (which is fine by me because I love her as well), and Diana Birch (who gets a little too country for my tastes so I can't listen to the full album). It's that kind of older style, almost bluesy thing. Kind of hard to explain unless you've heard them, but these both just match my MC perfectly. I'd love to have some more recommendations for anyone similar I can check out that might work (the less country sounding the better).

I also have been listening to Indian music, which works for some reason beyond my understanding, but I'm not sure if anyone could match that for me.

Anyway, any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated! I usually have more music picked out by now, but this one's just so different that what I usually listen to personally doesn't really work.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking about what music your characters might listen to in the story?

The first thing I'd mention is that, if the reader doesn't know the music, mentioning the artist names won't help paint the picture at all. You'll have to describe the music somehow - the sound, the mood it evokes, the sonic qualities, the dynamics, the historical context (say, was this song big during the Summer of Love, or is it associated with rave culture?), that sort of thing.

My wife just read a crime novel where a lot of the plot had to do with a radio station. She gave up halfway through, because it seemed that on every page, the author mentioned a song or a band, and she hadn't heard of them. That made the book impossible for her to enjoy; important parts of the scene were inaccessible to her.

The other thing is that popular music dates quickly. If you use a flavour-of-the-month band, it might be out of date before your book even gets on the shelves.

So, if this is what you're aiming for, be sure your readers know what Florence + the Machine actually sound like, who listens to them, and why. If the style is, as you say, kind of hard to explain unless you've heard them, then how is the reader going to understand?

Good luck, but I'd recommend using musical references that your readers are likely to know. Or be prepared to explain the music - without losing the reader's interest in the story.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Have you tried using Pandora? Make a station from the artists that work already and see what it suggests.

(And I'm assuming you mean music to listen to while writing the character. I do that ALL THE TIME. :) It really does help to have a playlist for certain characters or scenes.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried using Pandora? Make a station from the artists that work already and see what it suggests.

(And I'm assuming you mean music to listen to while writing the character. I do that ALL THE TIME. :) It really does help to have a playlist for certain characters or scenes.)

Yup, this is exactly what I mean. I tend to write while listening to music, and I pick music by scene/what fits the tone of the story/what fits the character. Typically, music my MC would listen to. Sounds weird, I suppose, but it helps get into character and gets the voice down for me.

My last one was easier because I could listen to a slew of eighties hair bands, Coldplay, Radiohead, and Disturbed for any angry scenes. This one none of that stuff works lol. Even my action music doesn't work.

I've never even heard of Pandora honestly. Might be worth a try, though.

Poet, you just reminded me of a series of Russian books I read (pretty good, too) that used music constantly throughout. They often had entire songs because the song playing would be relevant to whatever was going to happen. I just skipped all those. :D

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Yup, this is exactly what I mean. I tend to write while listening to music, and I pick music by scene/what fits the tone of the story/what fits the character. Typically, music my MC would listen to. Sounds weird, I suppose, but it helps get into character and gets the voice down for me.

My last one was easier because I could listen to a slew of eighties hair bands, Coldplay, Radiohead, and Disturbed for any angry scenes. This one none of that stuff works lol. Even my action music doesn't work.

I've never even heard of Pandora honestly. Might be worth a try, though.

Poet, you just reminded me of a series of Russian books I read (pretty good, too) that used music constantly throughout. They often had entire songs because the song playing would be relevant to whatever was going to happen. I just skipped all those. :D

Oh, Pandora.com.... Yes. It is gold. :) You can make a "station" for a band or a specific song and then it starts playing you a stream of music related or recommended to your original choice. You only have a few skips available, so sometimes you have to sit through songs you might dislike, but overall it really gives great suggestions. :)

And I'm repping you... :)

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
If you have Itunes, Genius will make reccomendations based on a band, person, style.

It's hard to think of anything, the two artist you mentioned, Diva and, Antidiva.

I agree with poet, about music a reader can relate too.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not really about the reader. If the music the narrator listens to ever comes up, it's going to be in the context that he quotes a song or something that another of my characters happens to listen to and is surprised he knows, but it wouldn't be anything big or important for the reader. It's mostly a matter of finding things to listen to that help put me in the right tone/voice of the character while I write. Listening to the same three cds over and over gets repetitive. ;)

I do use iTunes, and that's actually how I discovered the Diana Birch songs.

bigb

Gun in Mouth Blues
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, Ted Nugent, Stranglehold

Don't knock it, Ted's crazy, but still a guitar god