Say goodbye to 2 and even 3 dollar gallon of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
LOoks like my future plans of buying a truck are out of question. I'm planning on getting a honda civic coupe 1.1 L with 38mpg.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-gas17.html

Right now in cali where I'm at, cheapest in traveling route is 2.61, cheapest in whole area code is about 2.53. In San Francisco chevron is going for all the way up to 3.15 for regular :(

Last edited:

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
You guys don't know how lucky you are.

In the UK we are paying (roughly, don't have the exchange rate in front of me) about 8 bucks a gallon. And it's set to go up again.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna be sick. I drive an Explorer that whimpers every time I pass a gas station. I know this makes me sound really old, but I can remember (Oh Lord..I never thought I would say those words) being able to put $5 in the tank of my little civic hatchback and driving for a week on it. That included driving back & forth between Norfolk and Virginia Beach daily!!!

$5 doesn't even make the needle on the gas gauge move now.

Cinemachick

Gas War Idea

I don't know Phillip Hollsworth,
but the idea just might work:

"Originated by Phillip Hollsworth:
Subject: GAS WAR!

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer and it might go higher!!

Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew
we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.29 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is
CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach the that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we
are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying
gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.

If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If
each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted: If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.)

End

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
That's all well and good, but how am I supposed to know who supplies my local Cumberland Farms with its gas? I'm pretty sure they're not in the petroleum business - at least not outside of those hot dog cookers.

I'm more than happy to give it a shot though.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
Cheapest in travel route is now 2.61 and cheapest in area codes is now 2.59 and gas prices are still rises just as fast the last couple days as they have a week and half ago. Expect the natural average to be 3.00 this year.

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I've been looking for a good reason to get rid of the Pathfinder. I do believe this is it!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
And the government hasn't increased its mileage reimbursement rate yet, which means I still only get $.31/mile to drive for work. And it's ALL driving. Sigh. Glad I don't work far from home.

I heard on the news yesterday that they've come up with a battery that is powered by urine. What if someone could come up with a CAR that....

LOL. would give a whole new meaning to "self- serve"

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like your idea Christine. I've always wanted to be a wholesaler.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Would the urine from a drunk be considered hi-test?

Rob :)

Damn. If that's true, maybe I should stay in touch with my 'outlaws'.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the gas price hikes are lower and lower. I think people are taking notice now. I make a prediction they will go up quickly again in a few days as people adjust and say "screw it" and the national average will be at 3 dollars by Sept 6(labor day).

Cheapest in area code is now 2.61 and in a couple days it will probably be 2.63 as that price has been like that for 3 days now at that station. Long beach california has a station at 3.49 :)

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OPEC actually lowered prices at least once this year. They're actually not the biggest problem, though they aren't innocent either. A problem equally as big is the lack of refineries in the US. We get all the oil we need, but we don't have enough refineries to turn the raw crude into gasoline. This, of course, is the result of our number one problem, high demand. So our oil companies see their chance to up the price, the bastards. Maybe we should opt to walk to the corner market instead of driving when we need that pack of smokes... oh, another price problem we're facing.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another thing... sorry I can't resist.

My parents moved back to their European homeland and pay about as much as we do--for a liter of gas. There's almost four liters to a gallon. So four times what we pay to fill our tanks (I'm sure someone will correct me if my conversions are wrong). Most of the price is due to ridiculous taxes the state places on gasoline (and other commodities) to pay for their national health care. But because health care is so cheap, people who prick their fingers go see a doctor instead of going the bandaid route. This doesn't make it easy when you have something really wrong with you and you need to see a doctor who's flooded with hypochondriacs. Peeps over there also get a month off every year, even for new-hires. So basically entire industries shut down during August when everyone goes on holiday. But then on holiday, how far can you afford to travel with gas prices so high?

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
I was right, the station went up to 2.63. But sheesh people are letting 1 to 3 cars in front of them to get gas from that station cause its the lowest in the area. Other stations in town are as low as 2.65 to 2.69 depending on how hard you look so they save 50 cents on a standard fillup to wait in line (in the heat) for like 5 to 10 minute wait and then when you get in there you feel weird because you know people would be waiting for you to hurry up. Its kinda funny.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
At the 7-11 I work at itr is 2.63 a gallon for the lowest and 1.73 for the higest. Other places are higher.

Thing about boycotting certian stations---we don't set the prices, ours was set to go up again last night--we get the little flasher on our computer and it has to go up.

Tell you what, I have been afraid to be the one to go out and change the gas sign some guy threatened me and another drove his big huge truck within inches of hitting me all the while cussing at me and flipping me off.

Hubby drives an older car that gets crap for MPG, no choice right now. I am getting a car this next week--but even it will cost me 3 bucks a day or more if the price goes up to go to work and back. We live about 10 miles out of town.

Public transportation is the biggest answer, in Europe you could take a train anywhere for cheap, and people walked, small towns still had local grocery stores so you didn't have to drive to them.

In America we have created a drive enviroment, everyone has to have their own car and downtowns no longer feature a local grocery--or much in the way of anything else, want to go to a movie, hop in your car and drive--and so on.

One girl where I work lives 5 blocks away from work, she lived right next door to me. I walked--she had to have a ride one day cause she doesn't want to walk and I could be her mother.

Now I live that 10 miles out--and have to drive, though my son rides his bike to and from work and school--and hubby is talking of doing the same.

We have to change some of the things we do and expect, not expect prices to go down.

Shawn

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw an interesting item in the paper yesterday...a station had a gas sign advertising as follows:

regular unleaded: an arm
premium unleaded: a leg

Status
Not open for further replies.