New Here...But have Written Before

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckRaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.politicalbrew.com
Hello, I'm new here but am loking for some advice.

Last year, totally on a whim, I decided to submit a sample to Politicalbrew.com. I had never done humor writing before, but I was bored and interested...it probably helped that one of my favorite authors is Dave Barry.

Anyway, I was totally blown away by Mr. Patel's offer in reply...$500 for an 10-week series, if I was up to it. Immediately, I accepted, and had a blast.

I submitted this column to the Penn State newspaper, and now they want me to write a weekly humor column for them.

What I'm respectfully asking you folks for is some advice. Can you read my previous work, and tell me your opinion as to my ability to possibly do more of this work? I got great response to my column as it ran online, but I'd like the opinion from some people who seem to have been at this a while.

Should I start soliciting writing offers from other websites? I never thought of humor writing as a quasi-career before, but now...

http://www.politicalbrew.com/feature.cgi?id=humor&num=1

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Patrick,
First of all, let me extend a warm welcome to the Water Cooler. Glad you dropped in.

As for your questions: Your ability to do more of this work? What? Are you expecting a sudden shortage of politicians? Of course you have the ability to do more of this. Can you sell it? If your writing maintains the same caliber, I don't see why not. The long and short of it is this: Humor sells + funny guy = $$$. I say go for it.

That will be $50 please. ;)

Thanks for sharing the link.

Barb

MuckRaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.politicalbrew.com
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Its true that there will never be a shortage of politicians, and as long as they exist it will be easy to point out what doesn't make sense.

I guess the question I was really trying to ask but couldn't phrase properly:

Is my humor writing good enough to justify spending some significant time with it, rather than 2-3 hours/week? I have had several friends tell me its gold, but guess as the author it never really seems quite as good to me as I'd like it to be.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Muckraker,

Honestly. Humor is the only way to make politicians palatable. Please, please continue.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Patrick,

You've got humor down pat and should keep on going. I read you're very funny article and you can even spell! Whohoo! I say go for it and welcome to the water cooler. :welcome: And if Mickey is running again, I'll vote for him!

MuckRaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.politicalbrew.com
Thanks, guys.

Also, I just got my response back from the editor of the Penn State newspaper, who said, and I quote:

"I read your column, good stuff; congratulations on the expectations you now have to live up to."

Thanks for the compliment...I think?

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a compliment.

As for always wondering if your own stuff is funny enough... I'm in that same boat on a monthly basis. I think it just comes with the territory. It really doesn't matter if you think your work is funny or not. What matters is if the EDITORS think your work is funny (and from the sound of things, they do).

My personal philosophy is: As long as I'm happy, and the editors are signing the checks, I'll keep doing it. Is that a good philosophy for you? I dunno. You have to ask yourself if you enjoy what you are doing. That is really what it comes down to. Unless you are effortlessly funny (and if you are, I am totally prepared to despise you ;)) humor is WORK. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

Love the signature, BTW.

Good luck!
Barb

MuckRaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.politicalbrew.com
I appreciate everyone's input, and thanks.

I like this forum. It's a lot more than just a glorified back-patting forum like a couple other writing places I've visited in the last couple of weeks. I think I'll stick around a while.

Unfortunately, as I was a late add to the Penn State paper, my editor just conveniently let me know that my first article is due...Today.

So, see you all in a couple of hours :/

Status
Not open for further replies.