PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand DTE!

Art_Sempai
03-30-2010, 01:43 AM
I must vent... :Soapbox:

Even if you pay them they find a way to screw you over.
I'm thinking my bill is paid but no, it's not.

Nowhere on their site does it say a thing about how they use your draft.
The guy phone couldn't even find anything when I asked.

Said he would pass it along to management.

We appreciate your business... your the only business there
is we don't have a others to choose from.

I wish I had the money for full solar.

Template Email I got earlier.
----------
Thank you for your inquiry. We were happy to assist you. We have reviewed your account.

Our records indicate we received your Energy Draft totaling $407.00 on 3-12-10. Unfortunately,
Energy Drafts are not considered payments. They are considered non-cash credits.

Because we did not receive an actual payment of $161.00, your payment
plan automatically issued you a default notice.

Your current statement includes your past due payment of $161.00 and your current payment.
A total of $328.56 is due by 4-19-10.

Thank you for using DTE Energy.com and the opportunity to be your energy provider. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Alida
DTE Energy eCare Team

writerterri
03-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Edison sucks too. Your wallet. Dry.

Sweetleaf
03-30-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't quite understand, I'm afraid... is this an electricity company? And there's only one in your area? That would suck, I've changed power companies many times (don't get me started!) over things like this.

And what kind of a stupid differentiation is that between a draft and cash? Huh? What would be the point in a draft then?

No wonder you're pissed off. My condolences. :Hug2:

Art_Sempai
03-30-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't quite understand, I'm afraid... is this an electricity company? And there's only one in your area? That would suck, I've changed power companies many times (don't get me started!) over things like this.

And what kind of a stupid differentiation is that between a draft and cash? Huh? What would be the point in a draft then?

No wonder you're pissed off. My condolences. :Hug2:

It's DTE Energy, Detroit Edison.
If you want power that's it as far as I know.

I use the payment plan for winter heat and pay it off
through summer when I'm using next to nothing.

I just found out about energy drafts doing my own taxes this year.
My whole house is electric so it's good in the log run.

The fact there's no info on using it is stupid.

You can pay off back bills but not current. WTF!?

Sweetleaf
03-30-2010, 03:20 AM
You're right. That is stupid. :Hug2:

Silver King
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
...I've changed power companies many times (don't get me started!) over things like this.
I wish I could change for better rates and service. But where I live (in Florida), the utilities are monopolized, and the only choices available are to pay the provider or have the power turned off. There is no other alternative if you want electricity powered to your home.

semilargeintestine
03-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Isn't that illegal, SK? I feel like that violates some sort of anti-trust law.

Chasing the Horizon
03-30-2010, 06:43 AM
I wish I could change for better rates and service. But where I live (in Florida), the utilities are monopolized, and the only choices available are to pay the provider or have the power turned off. There is no other alternative if you want electricity powered to your home.
Where I live (Pennsylvania) it was like this forever. Then in January some kind of new law went into effect and now we have six different companies to choose from. We switched right away because we'd had problems with our old company. I'm guessing the electric companies are regulated on the state level. So the monopolies were legal until January 2010 here.

Silver King
03-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Like Chasing has mentioned, the power companies are regulated by the state, in this case Florida, and the monopolies are legal.

There is no choice in which company powers our homes and businesses. The state is carved up into sections, with each area powered by certain companies who monopolize that section without any fear of competition.

That's just the way it is...

Sweetleaf
03-30-2010, 08:37 AM
That stinks!

Here in NZ we about at least half a dozen. I've got sick of them all and gone for the self-service option. I enter in my meter readings online (they do their own readings once a month, of course, to make sure I'm honest :)), I choose who I want to buy power from, when I want to buy it and how much for.

Much more sensible in my opinion. Go free market economics! :e2headban

milly
03-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Like Chasing has mentioned, the power companies are regulated by the state, in this case Florida, and the monopolies are legal.

There is no choice in which company powers our homes and businesses. The state is carved up into sections, with each area powered by certain companies who monopolize that section without any fear of competition.

He's right...here in Florida, particularly with the legislature we have had for years now, we will never get out from under the system we have. You either pay it or you don't have electricity. Good news is that, at least during most of our winters (with the exception of this one) we get a break since we rarely have to run the heat if at all. This year though, it's been bad. Lots of seniors and low income families are really struggling, particularly when everything else in Florida, ie, property taxes, local sales taxes, water and sewer and bed taxes for hotels, etc, have all gone up.

But, is it likely to change? Doubt it...right now, the Florida legislature is sorting through all sorts of things that, trust me, have little to do with our engery situation. YAY for the sunshine state...we're soooo cutting edge.

(just ask our poor teachers and the senate bill that just passed...another rant altogether :) )

ARGH

Susie
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
That really does bite, Art. I would speak to a manager and try to get it resolved without having to pay extra fees. Not fair at all! Much good luck!

sadron
03-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. It really sucks. I wish you good luck! :Hug2:

semilargeintestine
03-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Anti-trust laws are federal law, and state law can't be less restrictive than federal law; although marijuana laws are in practice, and I guess so are these even though it's technically not supposed to be that way.

Cathy C
03-30-2010, 05:34 PM
We have only one company where I am in central Texas. It's a cooperative but is about to be bought by one of the big guys. Don't know what that'll mean to our rates (being already hideous). I'm a little :scared: right now.

Shadow_Ferret
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM

We only have WE Energies (which we lovingly refer to as weiner-geez). It's a public utility. Public utilities are legal monopolies.

semilargeintestine
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh. Well, I'm not even an American, so don't listen to me.

milly
03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I sometimes wonder if I'm American either...panhandle of Florida can be a strange place...REALLY backwards most of the time :)

aadams73
03-31-2010, 12:08 AM
It's City Public Service or lights out in San Antonio, too.

BardSkye
03-31-2010, 12:37 AM
:Hug2: Monopolies really suck, don't they. Alberta recently deregulated energy companies throwing them open to competition. Strangely, the private companies seemed to be worse than the original.

Not allowing you to pay current bills with your draft is just insane. Do they not have a budget system? I pay the same amount every month until May, when I either pay them the difference I owe for the year or get a couple months free if they owe me, then they reset the rate for the next year.

milly
03-31-2010, 05:23 AM
in Florida, you can opt for such a version where you stabilize your payments over the course of the year to prevent gigantic bills some months and smaller ones other months...either way...still ridiculous