11 Full MS rejections and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've just received my 11th rejection of my full manuscript. I have seven more out there (a total of 18 fulls after a request on saturday night), and am terrified the rest are going to come back bearing the same ill news. Anyone out there in a similar boat...a good deal of fulls requested and not yet to receive that special, golden offer?

Thanks a million. :)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about all the rejections. There must be something to your novel or you wouldn't have had all those requests for fulls. I've had my fulls rejected before but then I gave up submitting the novel after about six. Good luck.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
That's an impressive number of fulls you have out. How many queries did you send? I had a lot of fulls requested also before getting an offer. I say this all the time, but the best thing you can do while you wait (on pins and needles, I know) is work on your next book. Let us know how it turns out!

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Cate Townsend--thank you so much for your kind words! I've sent out about 115-120 queries. Oh, and along with the 18 fulls, I've received 9 partial requests. Can I ask you, by any chance, how many fulls you had rejected before you got an offer....I'm just trying to keep myself sane. ;-)

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, cuteshoes, I've been doing the same thing. Waiting for a response that differs from: the writing's top notch, but I just didn't love the narrative arc enough. Or: I don't understand the characters. Or: I love the narrative arc, but the writing's too laborious. It's as if my novel's inducing widespread schizophrenia. ;-) Oh, how much I hope for a positive response soon. And best of luck to you as well. You have the most incredible request rate!!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Nevermind, I misread your last post. :tongue

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a good query does not mean there's a good novel behind it. While I think the dumbest thing any writer can do is pull a manuscript from submission, ever, for any reason, it probably is time you took a serious look at making some changes to the manuscript.

Do not take it out of submission. Doing so almost guarantees you'll fail as a writer. But do start looking for ways to change it. There's probably something seriously wrong, or, at the very least, you should be getting some serious and detailed requests for rewrites/revisions by now.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just my two cent.

If this is happening this many times I would sit back and find several really good beta readers that are willing to point out the areas that need the work. There has to be something that does not ring right. Your query must be great or you would not be getting the requests, so don't mess with it. Again, this is only my two cents. Much success.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a good query does not mean there's a good novel behind it. While I think the dumbest thing any writer can do is pull a manuscript from submission, ever, for any reason, it probably is time you took a serious look at making some changes to the manuscript.

Do not take it out of submission. Doing so almost guarantees you'll fail as a writer. But do start looking for ways to change it. There's probably something seriously wrong, or, at the very least, you should be getting some serious and detailed requests for rewrites/revisions by now.

See, this is what I had originally said as well, more or less, but it looked like she said the reasons were all kind of scattered and there wasn't any one thing everyone was hitting on. Maybe a section in SYW to see what people here think? If everyone gives different reasons, though, that makes it a little hard to see what the actual problem is, don't you think?

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Just my two cent.

If this is happening this many times I would sit back and find several really good beta readers that are willing to point out the areas that need the work. There has to be something that does not ring right. Your query must be great or you would not be getting the requests, so don't mess with it. Again, this is only my two cents. Much success.

This is what I was thinking also.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Given the conflicting advice/comments you've received on the MS from agents, it doesn't make much sense to change anything just yet.

Someone on AW once said that it can take 10-15 full requests before getting an offer. After reading through the posts here and the stories from writers with agents, this doesn't seem to be rare. But, it's hard to compare your stats to others, because there are too many variables. If all the agents were saying the same thing about the MS, like, I don't think the stakes are high enough for the MC, then you might think about taking another look at your MC and revising. But...

Since the agents who have rejected it don't seem to agree on what needs to be fixed, you should put it aside for a while and wait for responses on the other fulls you have out. Sometimes stepping away from it can offer you a more objective point of view, allowing you to see what needs to be changed, if indeed it does need revisions. Who knows? Maybe an agent will contact you to say that it's great as it is, or will say, "I'd like to represent this. Can we talk about revisions?" That, tutter, is when you buckle down and start to take things seriously.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your feedback! James Archie--heh heh--I'm not sure if there's something SERIOUSLY wrong, but I've been attempting to sharpen up the portions that might fall short of reader expectations. See, the issue with my book is that it's, well, frankly bizarre. And I know it's bizarre! I'm bizarre...as a person. And I've had some great beta readers: apart from a couple close friends, my mentor, a national book award nominee, was the one who encouraged me to get it out there. So I think I'll take Cate's advice and just let those manuscripts return (alive or dead) before I take a step back and completely gut the book. Or maybe not, hell if I know. I might get impatient. :)

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it's a sales game. Simply a matter of subjective opinion in most cases. Especially if you have out a ton of fulls. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
See, this is what I had originally said as well, more or less, but it looked like she said the reasons were all kind of scattered and there wasn't any one thing everyone was hitting on. Maybe a section in SYW to see what people here think? If everyone gives different reasons, though, that makes it a little hard to see what the actual problem is, don't you think?

Yes, but something is definitely wrong. No one ever said figuring out what it is would be easy, but that's the writers job.

This many rejects on a query means nothing, but this many rejects on a full always means something is wrong, or the feedback would be a lot better, and a lot more specific.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to agree to disagree. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but sometimes it's a matter of finding the one person who gets it. Also, if a query doesn't elicit response, it can say poor things about the MS. Or the agent, or the business. I wonder where you're getting this stuff?

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Also, one agent is asking for revisions right now, mostly based on prose.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
And I'm a he, kaitie. :) But no hard feelings.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I had this happen several years ago. As others have said, you may wish to reconsider the novel, possibly even pull it from submission if you have some great feedback and can/will revise extensively. But congrats on what must be a great query and premise!

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pisarz! Can you share your experience in detail?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... slightly similar boat. Two fulls out. One rejected last week, by an assistant no less. And it was a form rejection to boot. Felt like thowing in the towel right then and there. But of course I didn't. Will wait and see what happens with the other full. It's been out 6 weeks. May nudge in another two. G'luck. You've gotten some good advice up above. May use it myself.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but something is definitely wrong. No one ever said figuring out what it is would be easy, but that's the writers job.

This many rejects on a query means nothing, but this many rejects on a full always means something is wrong, or the feedback would be a lot better, and a lot more specific.

Or it could mean that the book is just an unusual one that the agent isn't certain of how they would sell it, or doesn't fit their tastes. I do agree that it strikes me as unusual, but if the responses are all over the place and it's already been beta read and what not, it might just be a matter of finding someone the work clicks with.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, tutter. Complimentary rejections, conflicting reasons. Before my last full rejection I told myself that if I got another, I would take the feedback and seriously try to reconcile it with my other rejections with suggestions, since many of them disagree.... Then I got it and it was all compliments except that he didn't fall in love with it enough. Good ego boost, but I guess I'm waiting on revising.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Don't pull your novel from submission, don't revise, don't do anything but WAIT.

Right now, your mind is probably spinning and you've gotten a lot of feedback from agents and a lot of advice from people here. This is NOT the time to start overhauling your MS. This is the time to take a step back, review all the information that has been presented to you, and let it settle out in order for you to have a clearer picture of what you need to do.

You've got crazy interest in your book, and I think it just hasn't hit home yet with the right person. Only you know what needs to be done, only you know how to fix your story (if it needs it), and the only way for you to see how to accomplish this is by listening to yourself.

If you are in the middle of revising for an agent who hasn't offered you anything, maybe take a week off from it and see what happens. Maybe you'll find that you don't agree with the suggestions? Try and find your own voice, and listen to it.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any help I asked Jennifer on Ask the Agent about the hit rate for MS requests. She told me she ends up representing 1-2% of the work she requests. I'm hoping that means she'd LIKE to represent 5-10% or so but they get picked up by other agents instead. I can't really say for sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.