How to write a book proposal for a series

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An editor has expressed interest in receiving my book proposal for a Bible study I wrote last year. It is already written (in fact is being considered at a different editor as well.) However, since teaching the study this year, I think it would be better as a series of 4 books. I spoke with the editor a few months ago, and she is comfortable with my taking my time to rewrite before submitting this to her. But how does one write a proposal for a series of books?

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My own WIP - a Sci-Fi novel - is designed to be the first of a series (probably a trilogy). Though it does stand alone if need be, the storyline continues "passed" the end of the book, if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure how to tell a prospective editor that my book is intended to lead into others, without scaring him or her away.

:Shrug:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
fedorable1 said:
I have a similar problem. My own WIP - a Sci-Fi novel - is designed to be the first of a series (probably a trilogy). Though it does stand alone if need be, the storyline continues "passed" the end of the book, if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure how to tell a prospective editor that my book is intended to lead into others, without scaring him or her away.

:Shrug:
Well, the bottom line is that your novel needs to have some kind of definitive conclusion--it has to stand alone, since that's what you're submitting. If it doesn't, then it's not finished. I would recommend not telling the prospective editor that this book is part of a series. She'll read it and figure out that it could and should continue in other volumes. So reread the ending and make sure that the novel really does conclude, then send it out and see what happens!

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
Well, the bottom line is that your novel needs to have some kind of definitive conclusion--it has to stand alone, since that's what you're submitting. If it doesn't, then it's not finished. I would recommend not telling the prospective editor that this book is part of a series. She'll read it and figure out that it could and should continue in other volumes. So reread the ending and make sure that the novel really does conclude, then send it out and see what happens!

Thanks, I'll do that. By the way, the end of my novel does indeed conclude. It is, though, a bit like the movie endings of Batman Begins or Underworld, if you've seen those. Basically implying that a follow-up is very possible.

It's not like Fellowship of the Rings, which is definately a "To Be Continued." :D

So I would assume, then, that it would be a BAD thing to have a serialed title or subtitle? I.E. The Golden Book: Act I, etc.

Last edited:

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
pb10220 said:
An editor has expressed interest in receiving my book proposal for a Bible study I wrote last year. It is already written (in fact is being considered at a different editor as well.) However, since teaching the study this year, I think it would be better as a series of 4 books. I spoke with the editor a few months ago, and she is comfortable with my taking my time to rewrite before submitting this to her. But how does one write a proposal for a series of books?

To answer your question, then, I would just submit a single book proprosal like the editor asked. However, I would mention that you would rather have it as a series. That way she would know that there is the possibility, and can choose which works best for the both of you.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
fedorable1 said:
Thanks, I'll do that. By the way, the end of my novel does indeed conclude. It is, though, a bit like the movie endings of Batman Begins or Underworld, if you've seen those. Basically implying that a follow-up is very possible.

It's not like Fellowship of the Rings, which is definately a "To Be Continued." :D

So I would assume, then, that it would be a BAD thing to have a serialed title or subtitle? I.E. The Golden Book: Act I, etc.

In my opinion, yes. Sell one manuscript at a time.
Good luck!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fedorable1 said:
To answer your question, then, I would just submit a single book proprosal like the editor asked. However, I would mention that you would rather have it as a series. That way she would know that there is the possibility, and can choose which works best for the both of you.

Thanks for the advice :) . My computer crashed last night, but I'll get on it as soon as I solve my computer problem! (I'm on a loaner...)

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Nomad said:

I agree. Unless you're a wildly successful author, I think it is a bit of a turn-off to an editor when other writing projects are mentioned.

If the book is published and sells well, that is the time when you talk to your editor about a sequel or series.

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Ms. Baker -

I understand your plight. For more info on this same subject, look at my posts -
Title of Your Novel under the Writing Novels thread and Series Novels under the Ask the Agent thread. Lot's of folk have given valuable input - but, for whatever reason, I haven't heard a thing from Uncle Jim or Aconite.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Elwyn! I'll be checking...