PDA

View Full Version : E-Readers and Mills and Boon

gothicangel
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261438/Mills--Boon-boom-sparked-young-fans-rush-download-romances.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261438/Mills--Boon-boom-sparked-young-fans-rush-download-romances.html)

gothicangel
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Okay, who's got the purple marker pen out again?

shaldna
03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I always associate Mills and Boon with older ladies, mainly because my granny was obsessed with them.

seun
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I always associate Mills and Boon with older ladies, mainly because my granny was obsessed with them.

The ones with the red covers aren't for grannies. Not unless they like a lot of nekkidness.

scarletpeaches
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
The red cover ones aren't even that sexy.

They're just...trying too hard.

FAIL.

shaldna
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
The ones with the red covers aren't for grannies. Not unless they like a lot of nekkidness.

You obviously haven't met my granny.

:)

veinglory
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Mills & Boon is Harlequin, the largest publisher, by volume, of fiction novels in the word. The idea that they only sell to old ladies strikes me as simultaneously derogatory to the romance genre and old ladies. The fact that romance is a top genre for ebooks is fairly old news.

Darklite
03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I found a couple Mills and Boon on my e-reader the other day. Iíve had the thing a year and never noticed before. I used to read my mum's collection when I was young specifically looking for naughty bits which were never quite as naughty as I hoped. Might give the ones on my e-reader a bit of a go just to see if anything changed in all these years.

gothicangel
03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Okay thread derail.

The interesting part for me was that the e-reader allowed women to read something they deemed 'embarrassing.'

Do romance readers feel reading romance embarrassing? Okay, I don't read romance often but when I do I've never thought about other people judging me through my reading material.

What inspires these blushes? Do women think that reading romantic tales somehow unacceptable in a post-feminist era?

Discuss. :D

veinglory
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Some do, some don't. It is certainly part of the reason why erotica ebooks sell well.

Darklite
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I wouldnít find reading conventional romance embarrassing. But I read a lot of m/m romance and for that my e-reader is invaluable. I could never go into a shop and pick those kinds of books-even if they did stock them where I live, which they donít.

Polenth
03-30-2010, 12:08 AM

If grannies didn't like nakedness, they wouldn't be grannies. Those children weren't delivered by stork.

BenPanced
03-30-2010, 12:24 AM
If grannies didn't like nakedness, they wouldn't be grannies. Those children weren't delivered by stork.
*pfft!* Sez you...

Becky Black
03-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I wouldn’t find reading conventional romance embarrassing. But I read a lot of m/m romance and for that my e-reader is invaluable. I could never go into a shop and pick those kinds of books-even if they did stock them where I live, which they don’t.

It depends on the cover for me if I'd be able to buy it in person in a shop. Some of the covers are just too embarrassing (same on m/f ones sometimes too!) Some covers are so embarrassing I'm blushing even thinking of a warehouse worker picking my order for delivery and going "WTF is this?" (The Price of Temptation, I'm looking at you.) And I have sometimes deliberately read something at home on the weekend because I wouldn't dare get it out to read on the bus or at work during the week!

I'll get an e-reader one day. Maybe. Not soon though.

Becky Black
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I found a couple Mills and Boon on my e-reader the other day. Iíve had the thing a year and never noticed before. I used to read my mum's collection when I was young specifically looking for naughty bits which were never quite as naughty as I hoped. Might give the ones on my e-reader a bit of a go just to see if anything changed in all these years.

If they're from the right lines they might be very naughty. They do a range from Sweet Romance to Phwooooarrr!

Paul
03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay thread derail.

The interesting part for me was that the e-reader allowed women to read something they deemed 'embarrassing.'

Do romance readers feel reading romance embarrassing? Okay, I don't read romance often but when I do I've never thought about other people judging me through my reading material.

What inspires these blushes? Do women think that reading romantic tales somehow unacceptable in a post-feminist era?

Discuss. :D

The article stated embarrassment occurred bec Mill n Boon were associated with older readers. Not bec of content.

gothicangel
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes, but in the comments, there seems to be a lot of younger readers [ones with English degrees etc] they cite the embarrasment of being seen reading a book of the M&B brand.

It's the brand and not the content that seems to be inspiring embarrasment.

Polenth
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes, but in the comments, there seems to be a lot of younger readers [ones with English degrees etc] they cite the embarrasment of being seen reading a book of the M&B brand.

It's the brand and not the content that seems to be inspiring embarrasment.

I'd go with that. People laugh at M&B because it's M&B, not because it's romance. The brand has a reputation for being written to a formula. The covers and titles have a reputation for looking cheap and stereotypical.

A non-M&B romance doesn't get the same reaction.

shaldna
03-30-2010, 05:01 PM

In Ireland it's widely accepted that babies come from Tesco. They were on special offer - buy six bottles of wine and get a baby free.

veinglory
03-30-2010, 07:00 PM
If they're from the right lines they might be very naughty. They do a range from Sweet Romance to Phwooooarrr!

I would say from sweet to nudge, nudge wink, wink. For Phwooooarrr you have to go elsewhere. (yes, I find 'Spice' books rather tame).

Darklite
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Some covers are so embarrassing I'm blushing even thinking of a warehouse worker picking my order for delivery and going "WTF is this?" (The Price of Temptation, I'm looking at you.) And I have sometimes deliberately read something at home on the weekend because I wouldn't dare get it out to read on the bus or at work during the week!

I'll get an e-reader one day. Maybe. Not soon though.

I had to check out The Price of Temptation cover and if itís the one that come up on Amazon with the guy who looks like heís got an alien about to burst out of his jodhpurs, then I must admit I find the cover rather hawt. Iíd definitely read the book, just perhaps not on the bus. If only I had the nerve :D

And e-readers are a fabulous invention. I couldn't do without one now.

KathleenD
03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
I think I need brain bleach for the Price cover.

Becky Black
03-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I had to check out The Price of Temptation cover and if itís the one that come up on Amazon with the guy who looks like heís got an alien about to burst out of his jodhpurs, then I must admit I find the cover rather hawt. Iíd definitely read the book, just perhaps not on the bus. If only I had the nerve :D

And e-readers are a fabulous invention. I couldn't do without one now.

Me and a friend call him the cantaloupe-smuggling Earl, since he looks like he's been shoplifting down the fruit section of the market.

But it's a good book. Lots of fun.

Becky Black
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
I would say from sweet to nudge, nudge wink, wink. For Phwooooarrr you have to go elsewhere. (yes, I find 'Spice' books rather tame).

Ah well, it's all a matter of taste, I suppose. They're plenty hot for me.

shaldna
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I think what puts me off is the covers. That's what I personally find embarassing. I couldn't be seen sitting on the train reading a book with a really smutty / cheesy cover.