PDA

View Full Version : Beta for Contemporary Western Romance, 78K

Synonym
03-29-2010, 05:27 AM
I am looking for a beta for Second Chance, TX, 78k. A romance as indicated in the title. Not erotica, but it is spicy or hot, in a couple of places.

Michelle's best friend uses a rather lame excuse to get her away from her home and it's constant reminder of her husband's death. She wants a companion to stay with her mother, also recently widowed. Michelle knows Bell from many college breaks spent at their ranch in Texas. The women she remembers as strong minded and hard-headed didn't need babying. Michelle accepts, well aware it's for her own benefit, ready for a change of scenery and a chance to crawl out of the limbo her life has turned into.

Bell is ready to move on, she begins to take pride in her appearance and interest in the outside world. Michelle watches her bloom, unconsciously following, dragged from her own impasse into living again. Bell isn't beyond a bit of meddling, making certain that Michelle can hardly turn around without running into a divorced neighbor, Jake. A lonely man who has been sliding into bitterness, 'kind of the opposite of a fine wine'.

Against the odds, Bell finds an old flame and romance lights up. Michelle watches with envy and trepidation, nervous and unsure about romance in general, mistakes and intimacy in particular. Jake sets out with a lot of patience and creates a solid friendship that he hopes will grow into a lot more. His ex? He hopes she will stay away and leave them alone. She's always had a mean streak but he'd seen it growing stronger. When he'd tried to get her to seek help, she'd left. Watching his son getting closer and closer to popping the question, he's got a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. She'd have more than enough reason to jump back into the middle of his life. With a vengeance.

Please PM or reply to this thread if you have a little time for reading. I'd appreciate comments on pacing, lack of continuity and an overall opinion. No need for line-by-line crits as they are too time-consuming for most of us to carve the time out for. Thanks.

xcomplex
03-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I will read a few of your first chapters and let's just say if I am hooked then I will read on :) So the same thing an agent would do. If I am not hooked I will tell you why! PM me if you are interested :)