PDA

View Full Version : How to address an agent

sheadakota
03-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I met an agent at a conference- we had lunch and a conversation- I was introduced to her by her first name- she later asked me to send her a partial-
ok so when I email her that partial and remind her of where we met- yada yada- how to I address her- By her first name or Ms.---??

DeadlyAccurate
03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
You really can't go wrong by using Ms. [last name]. If she writes back with a full request and signs her first name, you'd be safe in addressing her by her first name at that point.

Edit: I should also add that I doubt most agents really care if you used their first name in the address, especially if they introduced themselves that way. Most of the blogging agents say they're fine with just about anything but being addressed like a close friend (don't use a nickname if you don't know they go by that; don't make the address "Yo, dawg!")

sheadakota
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks DA- That is what I was thinking as well- good to have a second opinion!
I wasn't even pitching her at lunch- we were all just talking casually and I asked her opinion about what genre my book might fall into- as we were leaving she handed me her card and asked me to send her a partial- that was cool-

shaldna
03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
If you have been introduced to her by her first name, or she has introduced her by her first name then it's usually acceptable to use it.

However, in your first query to her I would address her as Ms Last name, and make sure to remind her that you were introducted, and also who introduced you as this will jog her memory.

sheadakota
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Shaldna! Will do-