A book review and multiple POVs

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A review of Harlan Coben's new book, as well as Linwood Barclay's.

This para in particular caught my eye:

Mr. Coben has the edge when it comes to popcorn pacing. His once-enveloping stories now move at a breakneck clip not unlike James Patterson’s, though at least Mr. Coben still writes chapters longer than three pages. Since anything and everything can happen in the berserk world of “Caught,” none of the suspense carries much weight, and no character has time to become particularly sympathetic.

The reviewer talks about the kitchen-sinky aspect of Coben's writing. I quite like Coben, but one thing that holds me back from liking any book (in the MTS genre in particular) is too many POVs. I'm just connecting with one when I'm yanked off to another, and they're not always as immediately likable as they could be.

I prefer to write for one (two at most) POVs so that I can really get to know the character(s) and make the reader feel the tension that's happening to that character.

Questions for you: do you enjoy multiple POVs, reading or writing? If you've read Coben's newest (Caught) do you agree with the above assessment? (Hide spoilers please, I haven't read it yet! Thanks!)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a matter of taste. Most "epic" novels have a bunch of POVs, and I love them. I also love single POV novels.

I haven't read Coben's latest, but I'd rather read any writer than any reviewer. I simply do not care what any reviewer has to say about any book.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Normally, I prefer one POV, and hopefully it's the POV of a main character that I've been following for mutiple books, i.e. Elvis Coloe, Harry Bosch, Mitch Rapp, etc.

But, using Robert Crais's L.A. Requim as an example, I don't mind if they move between two POV's. Crais uses first person with the main character Elvis Cole, but goes to third lmtd when switching to Joe Pike's perspective. But it works because it's done sparingly.

I am doing the same thing with my current WIP. The main POV is third lmtd with my main character, but I've done some switching to another character's POV (again 3rd lmtd) to break up the pacing and add in some tension. It works when it's done well. I can only hope my betas and the agent who is going to read it first think the same thing.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it depends on how well the author pulls it off. In her novel Sea Glass, Anita Shrive has about seven POVs. But all are beautifully done and satisfying. That's not always the case.

In my completed novel, which is currently under submission, I have five POVs and no one has even been bothered by that. But each main or secondary character has a full story or plot of his/her own. The POVs have a reason for existing and I invested the time into developing them.

My WIP is more of a suspense/mystery. I'm writing that from one POV because the entire novel takes place in a matter of days and the only story I am focusing on is that of the main character.

I'm not sure I'd like more than two POVs in a suspense novel. It would require layered plots, which might slow the pace.