Literary Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostra

Registered
Reaction score
Many have heard of it, more claim they write it...

But what is it?

I have been browsing writing forums and googled the matter many a time, but still no satisfying answer have found me!

What is literary fiction?

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Fiction designed so you enjoy how it's told, not just what's written.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia calls it "serious fiction." And that "In broad terms, literary fiction focuses more on style, psychological depth, and character, whereas mainstream commercial fiction (the page-turner) focuses more on narrative and plot."

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
The kind that gets the Pulitzer?

...And gets you laid more. Or so I hear.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
So literary fiction is like the guitarist or the singer, and genre fiction is like the bass player or the drummer?

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Genre is the one-armed drummer with two triple bass pedals and a two-dozen piece set. Let's call fanfic bass players, cos really--who pays attention to them? ;)

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on what literary fiction is supposed to be, but in my experience as a reader, literary ficiton is when you're reading something and you're constantly yanked out of the story by the overly fanciful language, whether it's to shake your head and how convoluted the writing is or to read a sentence or two again to enjoy how beautifuly poetic it is.

In either case, this is not my idea of good storytelling.

Again, this is my opinion as a reader. In general, I can't stand literary fiction and won't go anywhere near it. There are exceptions.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I'm not going to comment on what literary fiction is supposed to be, but in my experience as a reader, literary ficiton is when you're reading something and you're constantly yanked out of the story by the overly fanciful language, whether it's to shake your head and how convoluted the writing is or to read a sentence or two again to enjoy how beautifuly poetic it is.

You're describing bad literary fiction (aside from the last bit).

Just like someone could describe bad genre fiction as workmanlike, penny dreadful-esque, artless, shallow, etc.

It's obvious you don't enjoy literary fiction on the whole, but I think you probably haven't read much good literary fiction, either.

Sanoe SC

The Spice Must Flow
Registered
Reaction score
I associate literary fiction with beautiful prose and a focus on the inner lives of the characters.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
You're describing bad literary fiction (aside from the last bit).

Just like someone could describe bad genre fiction as workmanlike, penny dreadful-esque, artless, shallow, etc.

It's obvious you don't enjoy literary fiction on the whole, but I think you probably haven't read much good literary fiction, either.

You've just saved me one massive rant. :D

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, literary fiction wins the prizes while commercial fiction gets the bestsellers

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Genre is the one-armed drummer with two triple bass pedals and a two-dozen piece set. Let's call fanfic bass players, cos really--who pays attention to them? ;)

If they're John Taylor, lol.

Literary fiction focuses on style and psychology. It's normally more experimental and obscure than mainstream fiction and thus is not going to appeal to everybody.
Mainstream fiction appeals to the masses, not necessarily because it's good.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the difference, but I can feel it. I like them both, although I'm not one for all action and no character development.

Literary fiction is a different sort of page-turner. It's not always 'Oooh what's going to happen next?!' that makes you turn the page. There is usually a lot more interspersed with the plot.

ETA: to confuse matters, I believe that there is literary horror, literary fantasy, etc. So I don't agree with the literary vs genre thing, myself.

Last edited:

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: to confuse matters, I believe that there is literary horror, literary fantasy, etc. So I don't agree with the literary vs genre thing, myself.

Agreed. Most often they are blended together in works that contain elements of both.

In general, I always took "literary" to mean more focus on the inner struggles/growth/perceptions/feelings of characters and interpersonal relationships in terms of story, and prettier/more poetic writing in terms of prose. "Genre" being more focused on external action, save-the-world type stories, with less focus on what the prose sounds like and more on pacing and hooks.

But I prefer a blend. I really like pretty prose and internal/interpersonal struggles, but I also really like the magic and wonder and excitement of fantasy/sci-fi/etc. So I'm writing literary fantasy.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the difference, but I can feel it. I like them both, although I'm not one for all action and no character development.

Literary fiction is a different sort of page-turner. It's not always 'Oooh what's going to happen next?!' that makes you turn the page. There is usually a lot more interspersed with the plot.

I love literary crime [David Peace; Ian Rankin.]

I'm currently reading Wolf Hall [Literary Historical.]

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
They are arbitrary distinctions used to create petty squabbles. They cannot be explained by any rational means.

I like reading good books.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

That's not literary fiction at all. I suggest you find some good ones and pay attention.

Reaction score
Literary isn't a genre. It's a style.

Just like any tool, it can be mishandled by an incompetent writer, or displayed wonderfully by the hand of a capable one.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.