SFF Book Study pre-poll for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SF is up to bat for May. What popular/well known book shall we read and discuss?

Does anyone have any theme suggestions? Gender equality (as an issue, rather than just happily existing)? Consequences of technology? Deep space exploration? YA?

As always, please provide a link to amazon.com or similar.

(I hope everyone has been tearing through Tigana. I'm almost done and I've been reading steadily all month.)

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Is there a place that lists the previous books? I'm new, so I'd rather not suggest something that's already been done.

But I guess I'll go ahead and suggest it anyway. :)

I'm getting ready to read this soon, but I can wait if we do it here. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. Most writers live by Heinlein's Rules (or claim to), but how many have actually read his work? Just some food for thought. And I've heard the book is much better than the movie, which is one of the reasons I put it on my reading list. It includes a strong father/son theme that they didn't even touch upon in the film version.

Amazon link to the newest edition here. I got my copy from the library. ;)

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Starship Troopers is one Heinlein I've not read. That'd be an interesting one.

Also interesting:
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome.

Previous book studies are listed in the current book study, which is a sticky at the top of this forum. If you want to find old suggestions you have to search this forum for 'book study' and weed through the posts (if you were to do this, I'd suggest looking at the old polls). We don't have an issue with repeating a suggestion that didn't make the final selection.

I'll put the poll for May up either soon or on the weekend.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Starship Troopers is a great novel. I loved it. I'd be up for an Ian Banks. I've suggested Considering Phlebas in the past, but I've read it now. How about Matter.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0316005371

I read Matter about six months ago, and loved it so much that I bought the book (most of my reads come from the library, a select few make it to ownership status). I'd totally be up for reading it again. Or anything by Banks, to be honest.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bump. Poll hopefully going up tonight. Anyone wanna second a book they like?

Status
Not open for further replies.