I've just had this phone conversation (clockwork will appreciate this)...

Reaction score
My dad called.

"I'm on my way to hospital."

"Why? What have you done?"

"I've just chopped the end off my finger."

"Fuck! Wait...what did you dial with?"

(I know, I know, clockwork...it was wrong of me to think of that episode of Bottom but...at least this is someone else hurting himself in a massively stupid way this time, not me).

So I said, "Okay, uh...text me later. Wait. You won't be able to. Email! No, wait..."

Apparently he can type with his remaining digits. So, uh...yay.

He's under orders not to send photos, like he did yesterday when he fell and skinned his leg.

Thanks, Dad. :eek:

Reaction score
Just the end. I nearly asked for details, but sadly (aww), his taxi arrived, so he had to hang up.

Lord knows how he coped with pressing the 'end call' button. Perhaps he used his stump?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
OH MY GOD! His hands are going to fray!

Reaction score
Finger update!

He's back from hospital with a dressing on what remains of his hand.

I kid you not. I asked if they sewed it back on and he said, "They couldn't; the bit I cut off went down the sink."

Reaction score
I said, "I know I should be the dutiful daughter, especially after all the times you've brought lucozade and painkillers round when I've had migraines, but...I'm scared of the man with no fingers." :(

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
your dad and my dad should go bowling... oh wait, they are both missing parts of their fingers.

Seriously. I know my dad's gonna get Alzheimer's or Tourrettes or Epilepsy from the amount of bashing his noggin has taken. Low overhangs call him with siren song....

Reaction score
My dad's getting a new kitchen put in soon.

Can you imagine the plumber ripping out his sink and getting the fright of his life? :ROFL:

"Uh...this yours, sir?"

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I can relate - my dad cut off the end of his finger, too. He was using a jointer in his woodshop and the board broke. Now he is missing the part with the fingernail back to the knuckle. It's still in his shop buried under the sawdust somewhere.

Have you read John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany? Part of the storyline involves a shortened finger.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
If your Dad only lost up to the fingernail bed, it can actually grow back perfectly normally.

(In older people, however, healing is slower)

We haven't figured out yet why 'the end of the fingernail bed' happens to be the magic line where it regrows perfectly normally instead of just healing over ... but it will be a hell of a find when we figure it out !

Mac

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If your Dad only lost up to the fingernail bed, it can actually grow back perfectly normally.

(In older people, however, healing is slower)

We haven't figured out yet why 'the end of the fingernail bed' happens to be the magic line where it regrows perfectly normally instead of just healing over ... but it will be a hell of a find when we figure it out !

Mac

Interesante.
Then you replicate in the cells throughout the body. Rotten tooth? Pull one out, grow a new one. You have tinnitus. We'll yank the bent hair out and let a fresh one take its place. (Hearing would probably get better then before :p)

Last edited:
Reaction score
My dad's lost part of his finger, but hey - I have a book recommendation. Thanks, archerjoe!

(Where's clockwork? Is he watching old Bottom reruns I wonder)?

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Just be careful, SP! I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is genetic. My grandfather chopped of two of his fingers in his youth (his pinky is just a stub), and then when I was seven or so, my mom did the same thing. Hers they were able to sew back on though.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
My ex lost his finger when he dropped a slab of granite on it and crushed it. He said it looked like hamburger, dangling on his hand by some skin.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I work with a doctor who is missing a finger. You should hear the jokes he tells right before rectal exams.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D :D and Ew!!

My dad had the end of one finger bitten off by his pet rabbit as a child and always tells that story, showing the scar. He never let us near rabbits. Terrifying, violent creatures :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This story should please you, SP: right after high school my friend's boyfriend K. saved up a TON of money working in the office of a cabinetry company so that he could buy a super duper awesome mountain bike. It was all customized and it had fancy shifters and brakes and everything. Around the time the bike shop was finishing up with it, his coworker at the cabinetry company told him he had to go CUT WOODEN BOARDS. K. complained that he was not trained in using any of the woodworking equipment, but he was told to go do the work or else get fired. (Yes this is like five kinds of illegal.)

As you can guess, it only took five minutes for him to cut off the first joints of his right index and middle fingers. That's a heavy blow, of course. The punchline is that shifters on the fancy bike he just bought had to be worked with the TIPS of the right index and middle fingers.