Sites that sell self-published books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

What sites are out there that you can list your self-published book on? I don't know how self-published-author-friendly Amazon is (though I know of some self-published authors that have books on there), and aside from selling your books from your site, where else can you list your book at? I know of Project Pulp but not too many others.

tcnixon

Amazon

Amazon is quite friendly in terms of getting your book up on their website. Unfortunately, they're not particularly nice regarding how much they will sell the book for. But don't worry...they try to gouge the big boys as well.

See: Amazon Bookseller Services.

Tom Nixon
--
The SmallPress Blog

Greenwolf103

Re: Amazon

I know you can get a self-published book onto Amazon but I was just curious if there were any lesser-known sites or just another online retail venue to sell a self-published book at.

dogman

Hi Greenwolf,

Let me know if you are still looking for another venue.

Best of luck to you.

Greenwolf103

Dogman: I went with Project Pulp. The owner extended an invitation to list other self-published titles, and not so much just horror or poetry.

But I *am* still interested in what other sites are out there.

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Wade Ogletree

Sites that sell self-published...

Ok, you asked...

This is a site I just created and am testing it out. See what you think. (Assuming you're still looking. This is an old thread, I know.)

the site is http://totallynovel.com. Right now, while I'm beta testing, beta membership is free. I don't actually sell your book on site, but I do send people to your site to buy it. (No affiliation required.) Also, with a paid Gold Membership, I'll give your book away!

Thanks for asking,

Wade

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Wade Ogletree said:
Ok, you asked...

This is a site I just created and am testing it out. See what you think. (Assuming you're still looking. This is an old thread, I know.)

the site is http://totallynovel.com. Right now, while I'm beta testing, beta membership is free. I don't actually sell your book on site, but I do send people to your site to buy it. (No affiliation required.) Also, with a paid Gold Membership, I'll give your book away!

Thanks for asking,

Wade

Uh... you won't sell the book, but if the author pays you, you'll GIVE it away?

Nice.

Pay me and I'll give your car away.

Wade Ogletree

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Anyone browsing the site who would be interested in your book is sent directly to you or to the site selling your book. That's what I meant when I said I don't sell the books.

The basic membership is still free. It may always be free, it may not be. I don't know. If nothing else, it's another way to get your self-published book out there. If I am able to charge for a basic membership some day, that charge won't apply to current authors and their currently posted books.

We currently host 19 authors and 26 books.

Oh, it does not HAVE to be a self-published book, but I figure that's really the market the site is best able to serve.

Wade Ogletree

Patricia Lieb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
liebbooks.com
POD books

A host offering to list an author's book and Website is great, I think. I have three books, two novels and a true crime that I'd love to post. I find the problem is marketing... Hey, let Wade list your book.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Listing a book is not vending it (handling money, shipping etc). If you just want you book listed I would suggest going to review sites.

Patricia Lieb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
liebbooks.com
marketing

Listing, vending--the whole marketing game is new to me. I've just really been a writer and as long as I was a newspaper reporter, never gave marketing a thought. Now, I find I have a lot to learn.
Would be nice to find traditional publishers for our books; but even finding an agent and publisher is a handful and takes away from the art of writing.
Oh well.
All is well that ends well.

Wade Ogletree

With getting word out on your writing, it is usually not an EITHER OR type of choice. Totallynovel.com is not meant to replace review sites. It was inspired by all the spamming Dark Shades received from self-published writers. I figured there had to be a better way. The members there were vicious in their response to such posts.

It's not an easy task, self-publishing. I haven't tried to self-publish a novel. I've had about a half-dozen stories published, all but one in online mags. The "one" being in Fantasy Magazine #2. My fiction critique site does, however, self-publish a magzine that focuses on short story reprints and articles for writers. Starting with this years first issue I'll be using totallynovel.com to help promote it. The magazine, BTW, is Better Fiction from betterfiction.com. The PDF download is free, and the paperback is available from lulu at cost.

Wade Ogletree

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd resurrect this thread for the self-published authors out there. I'm doing some changes to my site and one of them is that I will be listing self-published books with links to your site, as well as traditional releases, free. So far there's only a couple of books on there, but, hey, I'm just starting.

www.dragons-hoard.com

Aimee

I have my book at both Amazon and Barnes & Noble, as well as some smaller online retailers that specialize in what I wrote about. You might want to check that out; you know, if yours is a romance book, see if there are any online stores that specialize in romance.

Amazon's Advantage program is really great; I would definitely recommend them to self-publishers.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yeah, since you can list your book essentially for free at Amazon or B&N... and they're the first place someone who's only peripherally heard of your book's going to look for it... why not use them and be done with it?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
dclary said:
Yeah, since you can list your book essentially for free at Amazon or B&N... and they're the first place someone who's only peripherally heard of your book's going to look for it... why not use them and be done with it?

Because they take 50% of the cover price which either boosts the cover price, or cuts your royalties, or both. I send buyers to my publisher's point of sale not a secondary distributor for the simple reason that it makes me more money per sale.

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Putting a self-pubbed or POD book on a website that is going to take a cut of the price is self-defeating.

Ron, I've got to admire your enthusiasm. Have you tried selling any of your books yet? How are you doing with that? I didn't have much luck myself, and some of my friends are beginning to get testy when I walk in the room. They've heard my sales pitch once too often. I've developed an Amway Aura.

In case anyone is interested, a friend of mine--author of POD'd and traditionally published books--has started her own small press. She will take on ms's for consideration and will also post your books on her website in exchange for links to hers if you're nice to her. The site is Darker Intentions Press.

If you're looking to get something published, keep in mind this is not a POD deal. There is a selection process, and the whole thing is totally above-board. I've known this person for years. She's an attorney, so she's very much on top of all the legal stuff. Righ now she's paying only a small royalty, but she hopes to increase that as she gets rolling. It's a start-up, but she's got marketing deals lined up and is on her way. She's looking at the possibility of creating other imprints for other types of books besides the dark humor she generally writes and publishes.

Just another option to consider. I'll post the URL over at "conventional and self-pub" as well.

Publicist

Registered
Reaction score
Selling you POD book

Schoolmarm,

One other method is to align yourself with like-minded groups. Have you for example, contacted equestrian schools or shows or even vet's offices to see if they can display copies or the information?

I self-published a true-story inspired children's book (Vanna's Dance) about a little girl who lost her leg when she stepped on a landmine.

In order to market the book, I contacted organizations that have an interest in the eradication of landmines and assisting the survivors. I also offered a signed copy to other organizations as an article for auction or raffle. In one auction,the high bid was 2 1/2 times the retail price. Although the money goes to the organization holding the auction/raffle, there are usually sales afterwards. The book has also been used as a gift at events whereby through corporate sponsorship every guest received a copy.

There are all sorts of things you can do besides listing it on Amazon and other sites.

Glynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.glynnsbooks.com
Peter Bowerman's "The Well-Fed Self Publisher

I just reviewed a copy of Peter Bowerman's book The Well-Fed Self Publisher at my book review blog and at Amazon.com. This is a "must have" resource for anyone publishing his/her own work. I'm relatively new to self-publishing and I think Bowerman's book has already steered me clear of some big mistakes. It's truly the place to start for a newbie writer who dreams of getting a book in print and is clueless about what to do once there's a manuscript to publish.

Status
Not open for further replies.