Star Wars: The Old Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I searched and searched, but unless it has some very weird words in it, we did not have a thread for this yet, what is wrong with us?

http://www.swtor.com

This game has somewhat ignited my role-playing desires, at least on forums.

Really hoping BioWare can pull off a good first-time MMO like Blizzard did.

I'm totally going for a Sith Warrior, dual-wielding, and a Sith Inquisitor with a double-bladed lightsaber.

Hoping for multiple race-options and a lot of customization, like more than Champions Online sort of customization.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
From what I've seen so far, the graphics and animation need work, because both seem clunky and unrefined. Granted, this is pre-release material, but let's not forget other titles with similar issues--e.g. Warhammer Online, which had graphics and particularly animation that looked and felt clunky in beta, and didn't improve at release.

SWTOR also looks very casual.

Which wouldn't be bad--I enjoyed LotRO, which was casual. It's nice to play an MMO that doesn't demand you work at it like a second job to keep up with everyone else.

But I'm not seeing much potential for engaging PVP here. And PVE content only interests me for so long these days. Once the novelty of the setting and mechanics wear off (Neat! I can Force Choke nubs! ...zzz) and the grind sets in, I lose patience quickly.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Droooool.

Jesi Consular all the way.

I'm really excited by the amount of effort Bioware is putting into the story. I got to see a snippet of the story aspect of gameplay, and the interactivity was amazing. Like Mass Effect, only way more so, since my party member was making choices, too.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The only problem I forsee is that I hate other people in my continuous universe, specially if they're making decisions too.

I go into other worlds to be the center of attention, not to play second fiddle to some upstart Jedi playing by his own rules!

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
And it's going to be fully voiced like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

this game is gonna be HUGE!

Me? Jedi, duh, and as a second character, Scoundrel.

And, if you're interested, Bioware Austin (the studio producing SWTOR) is hiring writers.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen so far, the graphics and animation need work, because both seem clunky and unrefined. Granted, this is pre-release material, but let's not forget other titles with similar issues--e.g. Warhammer Online, which had graphics and particularly animation that looked and felt clunky in beta, and didn't improve at release.
WoW has some of the worst graphics of the entire MMO genre. I thought the gameplay looked fine too.

But I'm not seeing much potential for engaging PVP here. And PVE content only interests me for so long these days. Once the novelty of the setting and mechanics wear off (Neat! I can Force Choke nubs! ...zzz) and the grind sets in, I lose patience quickly.
There's a war going on and you think there's a lack of potential for PvP?

The only problem I forsee is that I hate other people in my continuous universe, specially if they're making decisions too.

I go into other worlds to be the center of attention, not to play second fiddle to some upstart Jedi playing by his own rules!

Act as if everyone else is an NPC and you should do fine.

And it's going to be fully voiced like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

And, if you're interested, Bioware Austin (the studio producing SWTOR) is hiring writers.

Yeah...I don't think any of us are gonna get on a project like this, they're probably only hiring total Star War buffs who've written in the area before.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
WoW may have low polygon count, but they have an astounding sense of style. Everything looks distinct and 'warcrafty', and that counts for a lot.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not eligible for the Contract Writer position in Autsin (yet) and both Austin and Edmonton require a submission of a story via NWN toolset. No idea how to do that.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first you get the Neverwinter Nights Toolset, then you learn how to use it, then you write a story using it.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
It's the Aurora tool set embedded in the NWN game. It's pretty easy to use, really. The hardest part is making sure all the variables based on conversation and actions happen in the right order.

Bioware still runs forums full of people who make custom scripting for the game too.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
To make the module, first you need NWN. Alas, there's no way to download the Aurora toolset.

For making the module itself, it's pretty simple. You can find the answers to just about any question you might have on the BioWare forums.

And it doesn't have to be anything super-complicated. They say specifically not to worry too much about scripting. Concentrate on the story. It can be a bunch of people in a room or two.

If it's something you'd love to do, try it! :D

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find NWN as a digital download...
Plenty of NWN 2, not so much vanilla though...

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I dug it out of my closet and found that while I had the play disc, I'd loaned the installs to someone else.

I never did find it digitally. I'd suggest going to Amazon first, and using the cheaper 'but it new' option. $24 for a toolset that you'll pretty much never use is crazy. $6 is much better.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I'd add that, if you like Dungeons and Dragons and can overlook the graphics, Neverwinter Nights is still a very entertaining game, considering the amount of community content that has been made for it. The Diamond/Platinum pack containing all the expansions and most/all of the premium modules should be available for dirt cheap.

As for SWTOR, I've been looking forward to it eagerly. I won't mind so much if it's more casual, so long as it's polished, and runs decently on my hardware. I'm a big Star Wars buff, and ever since Star Wars Galaxies went down the tubes, I've been hoping for a suitable replacement. I will probably play some form of Sith character, because what's appealing about Force Heal when the Sith can shoot lightning from their fingertips?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Showcase video from London indicates a general spring 2011 release. Too far...

New info on advanced classes, every time I see it I can't help but think, "WoW talent system, ripped off."

New section added to site: Inhabitants (aka NPCs) Is it wrong that I think the Gundark kind of cute?

Upon seeing the Hoth video, I'm really hoping that they give us some very purpose driven quests if they're gonna make me run around down in there...

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
New info on advanced classes, every time I see it I can't help but think, "WoW talent system, ripped off."

Why reinvent the wheel?

Just because WoW did something doesn't make it evil.

Well. Usually.

Still, you'll be hard-pressed to find a game out there that doesn't have some system like this at the basis of character advancement.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Why reinvent the wheel?

Just because WoW did something doesn't make it evil.

Well. Usually.

Still, you'll be hard-pressed to find a game out there that doesn't have some system like this at the basis of character advancement.

I don't think it's a bad thing, but at the very least I hope my advancement interface doesn't look like the one they have shown. Even if it's essentially the same, I would like for the appearance of things at least not to remind me too strongly of WoW.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Take heart that the UI is usually one of the last things to get polished. Until beta cycles, they're likely to just use mockups. I have faith that Bioware will make it 'Star Warsy' enough for the most die hard fans.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I searched and searched, but unless it has some very weird words in it, we did not have a thread for this yet, what is wrong with us?

http://www.swtor.com

This game has somewhat ignited my role-playing desires, at least on forums.

Really hoping BioWare can pull off a good first-time MMO like Blizzard did.

I'm totally going for a Sith Warrior, dual-wielding, and a Sith Inquisitor with a double-bladed lightsaber.

Hoping for multiple race-options and a lot of customization, like more than Champions Online sort of customization.

Oh god yes - there's hype and there's promise. This one has promise.

Absolutely no doubt for me either: Sith Inquisitor, though the lightsaber is just window dressing: I want to blow people the fug up with purple lightning while cackling maniacally. :D

invisigirl591

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I am seriously excited for this game!

Bioware hasn't disappointed me so far (KOTOR 1 and Mass Effect are two of my favorite games of all time). It's gonna be epic.

I'm most likely gonna be someone that has the dark side! Either sith or jedi... dunno yet :/

I just wish that it was playable without a bunch of people in the universe with you. Like on KOTOR when only you made the decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.