PDA

View Full Version : Going back to querying after an exclusive

Beckstah
03-27-2010, 01:46 AM
A very good agent had an exclusive on my manuscript for two weeks, and those were two lovely, optimistic weeks. Sure, I was freaking out the entire time, but at least I could dream. Even when the agent rejected me, it was a wonderful, complimentary letter that let me return to querying with some confidence.

And yet somehow, the form rejection I just got on one of those queries feels like a punch in the stomach. I can't help but worry that the agent who requested a full was just an anomaly. I know it's ridiculous, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

blacbird
03-27-2010, 01:49 AM
I know it's ridiculous,

No it's not.

caw

arkady
03-27-2010, 02:10 AM
No, it certainly isn't.

Phaeal
03-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Heh, wait until you get a form rejection on an exclusive.

But seriously. If the agent is a very good agent, she must be selling stuff. And if she's selling stuff, she recognizes the potentially marketable. And because she recognizes the potentially marketable, she picked out your project. And so your project is potentially marketable, and other agents will likely think so, too.

How's that for logic? Of course it could be a "he" agent, too. I stand firm against the pseudosingular cryptogender "they!"

Snowstorm
03-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Not ridiculous at all, Beckstah. There's a lot of us standing in those shoes. You're NOT alone. :Hug2:

Now: :whip:. Back to it!

thothguard51
03-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Agents have different taste and expectations based on their knowledge and associations with editors. The fact that an agent requested an exclusive if great news, but does not mean other agents will see the same thing. Keep pushing, and keep your head held high, the next exclusive is right around the corner...

skippingstone
03-27-2010, 03:09 AM
"pseudosingular cryptogender 'they'!"

I absolutely love that. Can I steal this line if I include a footnote for sourcing purposes? :)

And as for the topic at hand, Beckstah, you need to practice telling yourself this -- using the pseudosingular cryptogender term* -- "eh, what do they know?" It comes in handy for all sorts of rejection purposes.

Other agents will feel differently. Or so I'm told. Quite often.

*Phaeal, 3/26/10, AW Forum, Rejection and Dejection

Beckstah
03-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Thank you, guys! It helped a lot to get it off my chest here. (The margarita certainly didn't hurt, either.) You're all right, there's nothing to do but to keep trying. Back to work with me!

Also, "pseudosingular cryptogender 'they'" is my favorite phrase ever now.