PDA

View Full Version : Association Memberships

defyalllogic
03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
what do you think of them? are you a member of any? is it a goal for anyone?
are any of them scams?

i'm really interested in the science fiction writers of America (sfwa), mostly out of jealousy though...

DeleyanLee
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
SFWA (and most of them) require that you be published to a certain standard before you can join.

If you've signed a contract, you can sometimes get an "associate membership" pending the actual fulfillment of their requirements.

I've belonged to a few over the years. I don't now. I don't really see where I gain much for the expense of keeping up the membership.

Phaeal
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I will become a member of SFWA the second I'm eligible. Okay, within ten seconds of being eligible. Sometimes I procrastinate.

eqb
03-26-2010, 09:36 PM
If you've signed a contract, you can sometimes get an "associate membership" pending the actual fulfillment of their requirements.

Just to be clear, in SFWA, if you have the contract in hand, it counts as a sale. You don't have to wait for publication. Associate means you've you've sold one or two stories to pro-level markets. (Three stories or one novel, and you get Active membership.)

DeleyanLee
03-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Just to be clear, in SFWA, if you have the contract in hand, it counts as a sale. You don't have to wait for publication. Associate means you've you've sold one or two stories to pro-level markets. (Three stories or one novel, and you get Active membership.)

They must've changed it from when my friend signed her first contract 7 years ago then. They allowed her to be an associate member from contract signing but wouldn't let her become a full member 'til after her book hit the shelves.

It was only after her book hit the shelves and she became a full member that they sent her all the material on how to promote her book before the release date. That's why it sticks in my mind.

eqb
03-26-2010, 10:47 PM
They must've changed it from when my friend signed her first contract 7 years ago then. They allowed her to be an associate member from contract signing but wouldn't let her become a full member 'til after her book hit the shelves.

It was only after her book hit the shelves and she became a full member that they sent her all the material on how to promote her book before the release date. That's why it sticks in my mind.

Interesting, because I first applied to SFWA as an Associate member nine years ago, and the definitions for Associate and Active haven't changed. (What has changed is they've given a few more privileges to Associate members.)

Also, the Executive Secretary said a photocopy of the contract would work, and that I didn't need to wait for publication.

It turns out that I made two more sales before she processed my first application, so I ended up joining as an Active member.

cwfgal
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm not familiar with SFWA but I've been a member of both Mystery Writers of America (MWA) and International Thriller Writers (ITW) for years. Some of the benefits include discounted group health insurance rates, online and real life promotional opportunities, discounted conference rates (which, to be honest, I've never used), discounted perks like MWA's Publisher Alley, educational stuff (the MWA newsletter is often filled with great info about procedural/medical/forensic stuff), forum participation, and awards opportunities. Plus the networking.

To me it's worth what I pay for the membership.

Beth

Emily Winslow
03-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Just to be clear, in SFWA, if you have the contract in hand, it counts as a sale. You don't have to wait for publication.

That's how it works for MWA too.

Linda Adams
03-27-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm a member of a couple--American Independent Writers (largest regional writing organization in the U.S.) and International Thriller Writers. I have done better by AIW then ITW, though. I'm an associate member of ITW, and I've always had the impression that they were not associate member-friendly. I volunteer at the AIW conference every year running their pitch sessions--plus I've had experience setting up conferences; my former cowriter moderated workshops, got paid for speaking regularly, and also ran pitch sessions--but we couldn't give ourselves away to ITW for their conference.

AIW is good if you're local in the Washington DC area. They have short workshops that aren't a budget breaker and have pubspeaks, which promote a member author who has just been published. It is non-fiction focused--when I joined and went to the first conference, there wasn't a single thing for fiction authors beyond an agent roundtable. They did start adding more fiction topics after that, but their focus is still on non-fiction.

Emily Winslow
03-27-2010, 03:12 AM
I volunteer at the AIW conference every year running their pitch sessions

Linda, I'll be at that conference! See you there :)

Linda Adams
03-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Linda, I'll be at that conference! See you there :)

Cool! If you're pitching, good luck! :Sun:

shaldna
03-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I've belonged to a few over the years. I don't now. I don't really see where I gain much for the expense of keeping up the membership.

I've heard alot of agents and editors say that if you belong to one of these organisations then tell them because it shows that you are taking it seriously.

How effective it is I don't know.

GregB
03-30-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm a member of SFWA and consider it an accomplishment. I think it's a pretty good organization and I certainly support its mission.