Here's another success story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

Well, it's definitely one unique way to get publicity for a self-published title (though not everyone has that kind of budget).

dogman

The old adage 'It takes money to make money' comes to mind.

Nice gimmick!

gdkess

But this isn't anywhere close to a success story yet, is it? The article claims book sales thus far of "nearly 100,000" and an advertising budget of $2 mil. Adding in the other costs (production/fulfillment), this project wouldn't be anywhere close to the black yet, would it?

maestrowork

No, but 100,000 copies for a self-published book is still pretty darn impressive. I had a feeling the guy is not out to make "gobs of money" -- he already has money. He's going after his passion, and it's very admirable about that.

gdkess

I think that a $1 million loss would be kind of an empty success story. This doesn't seem all that much different from Rich Shapero, who plastered the country with free copies of Wild Animus last year and then claimed he had best-seller stats. Well, yes, maybe--if someone had actually bought the copies.

At least this book is still selling. It might become a success, but if it doesn't make money, does it really matter how many books are sold? It's not like people are going to buy the guy's next book unless he attaches another big payoff teaser to it.

maestrowork

The success of a book sometimes doesn't hinge on how much "profit" it makes. The fact that it has sold 100,000 (in how many months?) is IMHO pretty impressive for a self-published book -- many traditionally published books can't claim that figure. Part of that $2 million budget is spent on the gemstones... it's not "used" if nobody finds the stones.

It's still selling and the words have just gotten out... it really could make a profit -- who knows?

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
The link to the article no longer works and I would love to read it. Where can I find it? Thanks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
The success of a book sometimes doesn't hinge on how much "profit" it makes. The fact that it has sold 100,000 (in how many months?) is IMHO pretty impressive for a self-published book -- many traditionally published books can't claim that figure. Part of that $2 million budget is spent on the gemstones... it's not "used" if nobody finds the stones.

It's still selling and the words have just gotten out... it really could make a profit -- who knows?

If you believe that you've never lost a million dollars. A book that loses a million bucks is a flop, no matter how it's published. Any traditionally published book would sell well over 100K copies, if the publisher were stupid enough to pour two million into pushing it.

Success is selling 100K copies because people love the book and want it, not because you're willing to lose millions convincing a relatively small group of people to buy it.

So far, this is not only a failure, it's a bad joke, and someting most self-published writers should be ashamed of.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
maestrowork said:
No, but 100,000 copies for a self-published book is still pretty darn impressive. I had a feeling the guy is not out to make "gobs of money" -- he already has money. He's going after his passion, and it's very admirable about that.
There's nothing admirable about this - it's the ultimate in vanity publishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.