Question about submitting specific materials to agent...

dthomas

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I sent out 20 or so query letters for a humorous non-fiction manuscript that is approximately half-completed. So far, one agent has requested to see the first 50 pages of the manuscript.

I wrote a complete book proposal but the agent didn't ask for one. My question is this: would I be better off just following the agent's specific directions and submitting 50 pages, or should I include the book proposal to show that although it was not requested, I have a strong marketing/promotion/etc. strategy?

Or does it not matter either way, because if the agent likes the material, he/she won't care whether or not I included the unrequested book proposal? As it is, I am plan on submitting 50 pages, but I just wanted to see what others think of including materials that were not necessarily requested.

I appreciate any feedback!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
It matters a lot. One way (with proposal) is somewhat unprofessional in that you didn't follow the specific guidelines the agent gave YOU. IMO 50 pages only is the way to go. I wouldn't include anything that wasn't requested -- other than perhaps a very brief cover letter or its like if sending by email.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
You don't want your first impression to be that you don't follow directions. Send what the agent asked for, nothing more

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
If you're attaching the 50 pages via email, you could attach the proposal as well, in a different document, so they have it (if they aren't interested at this point in a proposal they can simply ignore it). If you're sending hard copy, then send only the 50 pages, and mention in your cover letter that the proposal is available. Then again, there's something to be said for following directions exactly, like the advice above. Really, what you ought to do is think about the advice here, then go with your gut.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Send the agent exactly what they ahve asked for. No more. No less.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Send the agent exactly what they have asked for. No more. No less.

Ditto. Sure, every agent has his or her own tastes, and things they like to look for, but they ALL want to make sure you can follow directions. Stuff they didn't ask for is just clutter.

My agent didn't ask for a synopsis. So I didn't send one. Some agents just don't want or need to look at certain things. Maybe s/he doesn't want to see proposals because they cloud her/his thinking when they go to write their own? Maybe they prefer the information in a different format? Doesn't matter. :)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
You always send what's asked for in the guidelines--nothing more, nothing less. And having everything prepared (e.g., query, proposal, pages) before you compile your list of agents and examining their guidelines helps to take the pressure off. It also gives you extra time to edit, rewrite, and improve each item.