• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

authors and betas..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I just bought the latest Jim Butcher "Harry Dresden" book. In one of the first few pages, he actually mentions beta readers.

Something about him thanking his beta readers for their patience or something.

That just sort of took me by surprise. Some part of me actually thought that those big named authors don't need to use beta readers.

Has anyone else felt like that?

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Everyone needs beta readers. We can't view our own writing without bias. I've seen comments like that from more than one veteran author, but many times, their "betas" are, in fact, their editors.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not even published, let alone a big name author, but I can't imagine handing over a manuscript to a publisher before a few people have reviewed it, no matter how popular I got.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been writing an essay today [and editing.]

Wish I had some beta readers for Uni. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That just sort of took me by surprise. Some part of me actually thought that those big named authors don't need to use beta readers.

Has anyone else felt like that?

Yes. I thought Beta reader was just a phenomenon related to AW itself. I didn't think Big Name authors used them and I still don't believe any of the Giants of Literature ever used them.

Danthia

I love my betas. They see everything before I send it to my editor. And what they spot is always dead on. Granted, I'm not a big name, just got my foot in the door, but I don't plan to ever change working with a crit group. They're invaluable.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Beta readers before joining AW.

I wouldn't query anything now until beta readers looked at it first.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I have a really awesome critique group that meets every Thursday (tonight!). And I have a few trusted friends online who have been marvelous beta readers. Meetup.com might be a good place to check for local writers' groups. I think it's important to "test drive" a group or a beta reader a little bit before you decide to work with them in any extensive way. It's always nice to know you're getting useful critiques.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There are many who like beta readers, but not many who actually need them. Most writers I've read would be a heck of a lot better off trusting their own judgement. Somehow, the modern writer has become convinced that the only way to write good fiction is to let seventeen other people, who also can't write good fiction, read and critique their work.

Thank God Shakespeare didn't use beta readers.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Yes. I thought Beta reader was just a phenomenon related to AW itself. I didn't think Big Name authors used them and I still don't believe any of the Giants of Literature ever used them.

Jim Butcher was big in some online critique group many years ago, just before he published the first Harry Dresden book (as in, I think he had a book deal, but the book wasn't out). I'm 90% certain we exchanged a couple emails way back then. Maybe the beta reader concept originated there.

Then again, maybe he's an AW member. ;)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Somehow, the modern writer has become convinced that the only way to write good fiction is to let seventeen other people, who also can't write good fiction, read and critique their work.

Good thing my beta reader can write good fiction then. You know, it's possible to get a second opinion and also trust your own judgment. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are many who like beta readers, but not many who actually need them. Most writers I've read would be a heck of a lot better off trusting their own judgement. Somehow, the modern writer has become convinced that the only way to write good fiction is to let seventeen other people, who also can't write good fiction, read and critique their work.

Thank God Shakespeare didn't use beta readers.

I would respond to this, but I need someone to Beta-read my response for me first.

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest reason I have a beta is to make sure that I stay in the right tenses and for grammar/punctuation. Or to use as a sounding board.

Which sounds better? This sentence or that one?

How does this idea sound?

Which POV do you see the story being better in?

Most of the research stuff I need, I get from here. Someone graciously told me about The Farmer's Almanac for weather of the past.

Told me that it is possible to write a story without dialogue.

Let me know that I'm not alone with my constant battle with the tenses.

Or alone with my delete button-itis.

I guess the more well-known authors just rely on their editors as betas, which is what I thought editors do. Sort of skim over the story/chapter and lets the author know what works and what doesn't.

That is what an editor does, right?

Reaction score
Everyone needs beta readers.
No they don't.
We can't view our own writing without bias.
Yes we can.
I've seen comments like that from more than one veteran author, but many times, their "betas" are, in fact, their editors.
My editor serves a far different purpose from my (one) beta reader, who is actually a writing partner, but there you go...

I can write a book without Lori.

I can't publish a book without my editor.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My editor serves a far different purpose from my (one) beta reader, who is actually a writing partner, but there you go...

I can write a book without Lori.

I can't publish a book without my editor.

Exactly.

I have a writing partner, a couple of beta readers, and editors. They all serve very, very different purposes.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Is there any possibility people will stop using the term "beta readers"? For centuries, authors have been having friends and colleagues read their works-in-progress. Why describe that with a term derived from software design?

But I've also noticed it mentioned in Acknowledgements pages lately.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Good thing my beta reader can write good fiction then. You know, it's possible to get a second opinion and also trust your own judgment. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree - balance is key whatever one calls the person who is giving feedback on your writing (beta, second reader, critique group, circle of friends, agent, editor).

Not everything given as critique should be accepted. Not every story is bad for lack of having a second pair of eyes run over it before going out for submission or publication. But chances are such a person will point out something you missed, or make a comment which makes you realise that a certain detail could be emphasised more so that the reader doesn't mistake something so easily.

But all feedback must be weighed and taken judiciously. I worked for a time with another novelist (a better writer than I am) and we'd be each second reader for our novels, and I think we both benefited from that. But we were also so very different in certain ways, that care had to be taken not to end up writing a story according to the other's personal preferences.

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any possibility people will stop using the term "beta readers"? For centuries, authors have been having friends and colleagues read their works-in-progress. Why describe that with a term derived from software design?

I always figured the term beta reader was more due to the fact they were the secondary readers of the story, that the 'alpha' or first reader is the author, and then you have the 'beta' or secondary reader?
Or am I completely wrong?
Cause that's how I always saw it.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
It's probably related to the gaming industry. 'Alpha' testing is in-house testing done by the programmers. 'Beta' testing (particularly for MMO's) is when others (volunteers from the public) test the game and feedback and bugs, etc. [And that goes through stages of closed and open beta.]

hannah_92

Registered
Reaction score
I use a beta reader to help me stay in the correct tense and also with commas which are a pet hate of mine and I can never get right. :)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Ditto to roseangel. I see 'beta' meaning 'secondary' reader. As an ex-beta I was there to see if I got a kick out of it (like with any book bought off the shelf). If I didn't get a kick, I'd say why. I saw it as no different to giving an opinion on a published book off my shelf. Works were certainly treated at that level unless the author told me differently.

And I've been beta to some damn talented people. Makes me bloomin' sick, is does...

stitchingirl

Registered
Reaction score

What other term is there? I've always heard them being referred to as beta readers. Is there another term to describe them?

Like the others, I thought that's what beta readers meant. The secondary readers of someone's stories. I just explained fanfic to my mom not too long ago and mentioned beta readers to her. She even asked me if the term comes from the fact that the beta readers are the second people to read a story. While the term may be used in the video gaming industry, the term seems to fit both areas perfectly. Beta readers and beta testing. I think if another term does exist, beta readers will still be used because that's what people know. Even authors acknowledge beta readers in their books. If another term existed, I'm sure they would have called it something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.