Status
Not open for further replies.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Has anyone picked up the MMO lately?

I just rescribed (was a vet, quit the game after I hit max level). Have to say all the changes I've seen so far have been absolutely amazing. I was impressed Funcom has done so much since release. Expecting the x-pac to come in about 2-3 months, hopefully I can learn the game again by then.

Have to say it's been a while since I've been this shocked over improvements in an MMO. Anyone out there playing?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd play it if it was a single player game.

Seriously, Funcom, release an expanded version of the single player game, and I would buy it so hard.

I hate MMOs and I hate playing with other people. A lot.

But I LOVED Conan's setting, style, and gameplay.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'd play it if it was a single player game.

Seriously, Funcom, release an expanded version of the single player game, and I would buy it so hard.

I hate MMOs and I hate playing with other people. A lot.

But I LOVED Conan's setting, style, and gameplay.
Seriously, the world's so big and the subs lows are still pretty low. Unless you're in Tarantia, you don't meet people often.

I'm a vet. Haven't played in awhile though. I would, but not enough money.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Er...that sounded bad.

Let me say this: I hate other people in my continual world. When I have a continual world, I want to be the center of it. When its a discontinuous world, such as Battlefield battlefields, its less egregious for me.

Don't ask why. >_>

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So, how important is it to join a guild? Can you solo? Is it mission based and are the missions instanced, or can horrible reprobates hide in the shadows and wait for you to beat down the boss to one hitpoint and then jump in for the killshot and get all the credit?

Also how twitchy is it? Can you play it with one or two fingers?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, how important is it to join a guild? Can you solo? Is it mission based and are the missions instanced, or can horrible reprobates hide in the shadows and wait for you to beat down the boss to one hitpoint and then jump in for the killshot and get all the credit?

Also how twitchy is it? Can you play it with one or two fingers?

In order:
Not very, but it can provide intelligent company.
Totally.
Yes, and no.
What do you mean by twitchy?
Yes, if you are very skilled with macros, otherwise you'll need about seven fingers on combat keys, or three fingers that move very fast :p

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So, how important is it to join a guild?
Well, it just depends on your personality. I play MMOs to be around different people, but in no way what so ever do you need a solid group of people while leveling.

When it comes to end-game, there's three ways to get gear: PvP (where you kill people), PvE raiding (where you'll need to work with 23 others to fight bosses), and Tradeskilling (where you farm up mats to create items). Just depending what you want out of the game, you can solo for the majority of it. As far as AoC goes, their raiding is the best thing about the game. So unless you're 100% against working with others, I'd join a guild, level up with others, and get into raids ASAP.

Can you solo? Is it mission based and are the missions instanced, or can horrible reprobates hide in the shadows and wait for you to beat down the boss to one hitpoint and then jump in for the killshot and get all the credit?

You can absolutely solo.
There are instances. The majority of missions are in a huge zone where other people can be.
The first person to do 1 dmg to a monster will make that monster locked to that person. So if you hit something, no one can kill-steal it from you.

Also how twitchy is it?
Depending on your term of twitchy.
My definition of twitchy at it's most extreme is World of Warcraft's playstyle. I could interrupt a .5 second cast. Most game's animations get in the way of something that quick.
AoC has animations, but if you are melee you can twist your character out of animations making it 100% more twitchy than it normally would be.

Can you play it with one or two fingers?
Depending on what you want to do. My keybindings look like: Q, E, R, T, F, G, Z, X, C , V, B, 1, 2, 3, 4 / shift all of those / control all of those.
I only have that many because it's necessary for a healer to have that much bound. Other classes, like necros/demos have much less bindings. Melee classes automatically have to have 5 buttons bound for the arrow system in the game. (And of course your movement is WSAD).

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it a thousand years ago. Maybe I should give it another look.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I liked it a thousand years ago. Maybe I should give it another look.
I'll be honest, I hated it after I reached max level.

First day level 80, I was exploring and stumbled into a raid boss. Ended up accidentally bugging it out and killing it. I quit that week. =P I'll be the first to admit how much I disliked it back then because of all the bugs and the type of PvP style. I have to say, Funcom has really proven themselves though.

You should definitely look into it before the x-pac hits. ^_^!

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I never got above 30 in my original run. Most of the friends bailed out early, citing lack of polish, clunky mechanics, etc. It didn't take me long to follow.

Yeah, I'll give it another go. Warcraft is kinda 'been there, got a t-shirt' lately, and City of X, while always fun, isn't exactly what you'd call hard mode. Which server would serve me best for a guild? (should I ever end up getting up into raiding levels).

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
After playing on all of them, I went with Set. I'm a huge PvPer, but the world PvP design rubs me the wrong way. If you had to play for a guild, I'd got for Set. Lots of people around, community on the PvE servers are 100x better than the communities on PvP servers.

I've got two characters on Set: Yorui and Yorii if you decide to play. =)

Pity I don't have the money for it.
=(

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to try my hand at a Necromancer. Maybe a Demonologist. I'll look you up and say howdy. :)

LOG, the expansion apparently kicks in around level 30. So, unless you've got characters in that range, it doesn't do you tons of good, unless you want to make a Khitai character.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember what level my highest character is. Not higher than 40 I think.

Also, the x-pac hits May 11th, and they recently released an opening vid.
It looks nice.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
There will be a beta key on the Buffed.de site for some demo play, although I'm not sure if the keys are for RotGS or vanilla Conan. Their site id own right now, I'll try to get a link soon.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't find the other link, but here's one on Fileplanet, open to everyone.
Gotta say, AoC really has the sex appeal going for it. I mean, other MMO's they're somewhat limited in that regard (bar Evony, but that thing is BS). But Howard's universe was made with scantily clad women of all types, so they're completely within canon :p
That, and the adjustable breast size... >.>

Also, vanilla AoC is available for direct download from D2D for ~$10 for the next 2/3 days. (Was going to link it, but I thought that might be considered advertisement, so I didn't.)

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't find the other link, but here's one on Fileplanet, open to everyone.
Gotta say, AoC really has the sex appeal going for it. I mean, other MMO's they're somewhat limited in that regard (bar Evony, but that thing is BS). But Howard's universe was made with scantily clad women of all types, so they're completely within canon :p
That, and the adjustable breast size... >.>

Also, vanilla AoC is available for direct download from D2D for ~$10 for the next 2/3 days. (Was going to link it, but I thought that might be considered advertisement, so I didn't.)
Boo. It ends tomorrow.

I've never played it, just seen it featured on an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Although, I can't say I'm fond of looking at half naked girls though. I just wish these game developers would be more aware that males aren't the only ones who play digital games, rather than alienating all the females. Especially with the lesbianism. Seriously, stop it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish these game developers would be more aware that males aren't the only ones who play digital games, rather than alienating all the females. Especially with the lesbianism. Seriously, stop it.

So you want more half-naked man and adjustable male size too? :p

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, AoC had lots of mostly naked, beefy boys.

Which was lame for people who like more lean, wiry boys, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.