PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Software??

Lady Akkia
03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
First off let me say that if this is in the wrong place I'll gladly change it. I wasn't quite sure if my question belonged here of the e-publishing.
My question's:
:idea:
Is there any kind of self publishing software out on the market?
If so are the expensive or moderatly priced?
Where could I find the software?[best buy, walmart etc.]
Has anyone used this version of PagePlus?
And are there any kinda free software I could get online?

Right now I have Serif PagePlus X3{Got it with my Chibi-Top(notebook}
but when I stared to read I wasn't sure if it was the same kind of program I need.

-Lady Akkia
:Thumbs:

ResearchGuy
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
. . . self publishing software. . .

I don't think that is a meaningful term. Perhaps you mean "page layout." Publishing (self- or other) encompasses MANY other kinds of activity besides the layout/design of the book, and they cannot be automated.

The answer (if the question relates to book layout) is "it depends." Some people can make Microsoft Word suffice to lay out a book interior, and find Photoshop Elements sufficient for book cover design. (Those have worked for me.) A program to convert Word files to .pdf is helpful, and probably necessary (but that gets tricky). Much depends on the content of the book. Some demand a full-scale, heavy-duty page-layout program with a long learning curve (and considerable expense). Some don't.

You might want to spend some time with Pete Masterson's book on Book Design and Production (http://www.amazon.com/Book-Design-Production-Pete-Masterson/dp/0966981901).

--Ken

Lady Akkia
03-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Thank you very much. I suppose the layout is what PagePlus is but if I can you Microsoft Works word processor. I'd really rather use that then. I was also thinking about designing my own cover and such but I'd also like to see about finding an artist. Which I'm sure might be difficult.
-Lady Akkia

ResearchGuy
03-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Thank you very much. I suppose the layout is what PagePlus is but if I can you Microsoft Works word processor. I'd really rather use that then. I was also thinking about designing my own cover and such but I'd also like to see about finding an artist. Which I'm sure might be difficult.
-Lady Akkia
I doubt that Microsoft Works would suffice. It is hard enough with Word.

--Ken

Lady Akkia
03-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Ah, well pooey. But thank you very much for answering my questions.
-Lady Akkia
<^.^>

jairey
03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
The WORD look-alike in Open Office is good, if you're willing to work with something less than a "Desk Top Publishing" (DTP) program. And Open Office is FREE. I use MS Publisher -- and have for many years, so doing the upgrade thing is a reasonable cost. (I only upgrade when there's something I need -- running 2003 now.) I have a separate pdf converter. Works really fine -- and I also do web pages with it. YMMV

When you go from any word processing program to DTP you will have a learning curve. Take the time to get to know the program. IMHO your layout results for publishing are much better if you're using the right tool.

Not sure about other DTPs, but Publisher also lets me create other great promo pieces -- large posters, bookmarks, mailers, postcards, mergemailing etc. Much more easily than WORD does.

Tsu Dho Nimh
03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
-Lady Akkia

For Windows-based computers:

Writing: Whatever you are comfortable with that can check spelling and print drafts.

Page layout - What you need for LuLu and most other self-publishers is software that can produce a PDF for pages of a specific size. Unless you are doing technical stuff that needs columns and frames, OpenOffice (free from openoffice.org) will do it for you. It even does footnotes and tables of contents, running headers, and other nifty things.

Cover Graphics: InkScape (cool tool!) or the Gimp (photoediting to edit stock photos to insert into Inkscape) will do.

Lady Akkia
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late, having trouble with my ISP. Thank you again very much you all gave me awsome tips and help me better understand my writng style.

Tippecanoe1841
08-08-2010, 04:26 AM
"The WORD look-alike in Open Office is good, if you're willing to work with something less than a "Desk Top Publishing" (DTP) program. And Open Office is FREE."

I followed this advice and I am using Open Office to format my manuscript. It is a little confusiing at first, but I figured it out, and I'm happy with the results. Thanks for the tip.

Medievalist
08-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Open Office is better than Microsoft Works

Margarita Skies
08-08-2010, 06:39 AM
I've used Works. Frankly, it's not as bad as some people think. It's a word-processor, and that's all we need to write, right? I just discovered that Works gives us options to save in a file other than their default .wps. You can even save your documents written up in Works as .doc (didn't know they gave us that option, amazing) It even has a dictionary, which is something that Word doesn't have, because I've looked for that feature. Far as I know, absent. I've never written anything in Open Office, so I don't know if they have a dictionary. I also discovered, today, that you don't need a template of your desired book size for POD publishing. Under page layout>size, you can modify your page to be the size you want your book to be. For instance, I published in Lulu a manuscript that I had POD-published before (I'd taken it off from everywhere else) and I wanted it to be pocket size, and I formatted my original manuscript to be pocket size. I didn't know that could be done. Every time I wanted to POD-publish a book, I had to download all these templates (although I did NOT publish many of my books this way, like two of them I think) and now I don't. That is wonderful for me because I plan to do that to two of my other works that I POD published before and then retired / deleted, but no more than that. :)

E. S. Lark
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I use MS word to write and layout, then primo PDF to convert the files to PDF. It's free and a much cheaper solution than paying for adobe.

PortableHal
08-09-2010, 09:51 PM
K.L. Brady recommends Book Design Wizard 2.0 for book layout. (She also offers a lot of self-pub advice at her website.) (http:///cheapindieauthor.blogspot.com)

I've not used it myself but she says it's worth the $37 asking price and more. Anybody here try the program?

ColoradoMom
08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I use MS word to write and layout, then primo PDF to convert the files to PDF. It's free and a much cheaper solution than paying for adobe.

Did you know that Word 2007 has a print to pdf function built in? All you do is go to Save as, choose other formats, then pdf. I was ready to buy a new pdf converter because I was so tired of my Nuance pdf screwing me around when I figured this out. Life saver - and converts the embedded links properly too.

I guess the best way to do it is Adobe and if you make a lot of e-books you'd want the professional ultra plus version (embeds video!), but I wasn't interested in paying the $250 price tag even with our homeschool discount. And if you have no educational discount then Adobe is waaaay out of reach for most people.

I've used Adobe InDesign for desktop publishing too but honestly, for books, that is way too complicated. Just type it out in Word and convert to pdf right there.

InDesign is good for brochures and stuff that has a lot of graphics all over the page, but not books. (At least at my experience level - I'm sure there are InDesign whizzes out there that can do anything easily, but not me)