Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Fear not, there's always the Value Added Tax... aka Federal Sales Tax to rescue us from all of this. Nancy has already dangled this one out there, so I suspect she'll have a go at it if she gets half a chance.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Another opportunity to add taxes to an already-burdened nation. Grrreeeeaaaaatttttt.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I know I've heard people say that it's just propaganda that soc.sec. is gonna dry up. They wouldn't have lied to us would they? The pyramid is finally inverting.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I know I've heard people say that it's just propaganda that soc.sec. is gonna dry up. They wouldn't have lied to us would they? The pyramid is finally inverting.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

I keep bringing up the old joke about the guy falling off the Empire State Building who reports "I'm doing just fine" as he passes the 10th floor.

We're doing just fine. :rolleyes:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score

I keep bringing up the old joke about the guy falling off the Empire State Building who reports "I'm doing just fine" as he passes the 10th floor.

We're doing just fine. :rolleyes:

THe writing's been on the wall that things aren't fine, but everybody keeps saying that they are, or that they're fine for now and we'll fix things before they aren't. The math just hasn't been adding up though.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Rob. An excellent editor always brings out the best in a writer. :) I'll remember that, it had escaped me.

Greta, it only fails to add up if you use boring old 2+2 math. If you use new math, it all works out just right. :rolleyes:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'll leave that to Tom Lehrer, Greta. Here's the lyrics, too.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7841878207694220233&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the new math. We used it to learn Geometry. The next year we had to learn Geometry using old math. It made more sense the second time around.

You can blame me in part for the Social Security troubles - I just started collecting mine - a few years early. Just want to make sure I get something.:D

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
You can blame me in part for the Social Security troubles - I just started collecting mine - a few years early. Just want to make sure I get something.:D

This means that what I'm paying out now is going straight into your pocket! :D

Glad you got out early. I can't seem to make the numbers work for me until I'm 58, so I have ten years to go. By then, the pot will likely be gone!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I love that fucking expression.*

*NOTE: Do not be alarmed by Diana's recent overuse of the "f" word, she's from New Jersey, where everybody uses it in every fuckin sentence.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I always felt that "social security" was a bit of an oxymoron. I've yet to discover any aspect of society that gives me any sense of security. I equate "society" as a state of chaos.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
We've known since the 1970's that Social Security would eventually hit ................

............. Peak.

(Yes. I had to go there. Simply because it's pretty much the same scenario -- we see the math decades ahead of time, yet we spend/fritter away those decades doing nothing about it. *YAWN*)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
So, in all seriousness, what's gonna happen?

I mean, there have been projections around for years explaining that SS would run out. Did anyone ever think to put together a plan for when that time arrived?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, Rob, the United States will collapse as the old people who are now without support will take to the streets, devouring the flesh of the young to sustain their insatiable desire for blood.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You say that now. But by the time social security runs out, the elderly will have only increased their eldritch powers! Bullets will be useless! Our military will face defeat!

Okay, seriously, what is the actual worst that could happen? Should I be worried, very worried, or should I buy a boat house so I can live on the open seas while our society collapses into total anarchy?