If my YA contains fantasy or sci-fi elements?

WinterDusk14

Non-savvy tech writer
Registered
Reaction score
To which agency should I send it to?

I mean, can I submit it to agencies who only accepts YA and not fantasy? Or since my story has fantasy elements, should I send it to agencies who accepts both YA and fantasy?

Thanks in advance!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
If it contains those elemets then you can send it to YA, sci fi and fantasy agents. Unless those agents specifically say 'no YA' etc.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If what you have is a YA, IMO you'd submit it only to agents who rep YA, regardless of whether the story also includes fantasy elements. The agents would be marketing it to publishers as a YA, not as a fantasy, right?

Maryn, commonsensical

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd target YA agents who accept YA fantasy (not all YA agents want fantasy in their YA). Whether they do both YA and fantasy isn't so important.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm building my query list now and my YA MS also has science fantasy elements.

I did my search for YA agents, and then narrowed it down to who (of those) had in their bio that they also like/are looking for things with SF or Fantasy (usually they have SOME kind of preference listed somewhere). If they don't have any preferences besides "YA" (or are willing to look at many things) then I put them on my list as such.

Danthia

I'd look at the books on their client list and see if they also contain elements in the same vein as your book. If so, query them. If not, don't. Well, you could anyway and see what happens. Worst case the ignore or form reject you.

I'd probably query anyone who doesn't say "no fantasy."