PDA

View Full Version : Should I submit?

blacbird
03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Over the past couple of weeks I've been taking a new look at four or five shorts I've never submitted anywhere, mainly because I can't figure out what possible market there could be for any of them. So I'm edging back into the submitting mode, but every time I look for possible venues, I get hammered back into that "what's the point" mode. They are all rather Twilight-Zonish, maybe slightly Bradburian things, and I'm damned if I can find any place that seems even remotely receptive to such stuff. My long history of unbroken success at getting things rejected doesn't help here.

Is there any point in being the mole in the publishing wack-a-mole game?

caw

Polenth
03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Where have you tried?

'Twilight-Zonish' says dark, strange and speculative to me. Most of the speculative markets prefer dark and strange over other types.

Calla Lily
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Check Duotrope.

Phaeal
03-25-2010, 09:40 PM
As we Rhode Islanders say of the lottery: You can't win if you don't play.

Don't overthink the markets. If you can match the broader genres/subgenres that the particular market favors and if your story has the right word count, go for it and let the editor decide.

Then, the minute a story returns, send it out again. That same day, no excuse. Well, unless you're in a coma, and you should really have a surrogate subber on call for occasions like that.

cate townsend
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not much help in the way of pointing you to the right market, but chiming in with support. Go for it.

Maryn
03-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Caw, indeed. Most writers I've known have been right where you are, blacbird. They've been rejected, and even when you're fully expecting it, it dumps some of the wind from your sails. They're not finding a perfect market for what they've written, even though they're quite pleased with it, so they hesitate, or just don't submit. (Maryn, see yourself in there? Uh-huh.)

So, in the words of The Kid (my adult daughter), why are you writing? Are you doing it because you love it, and it fills the time, gives you an in to a writing community, gives you bragging rights among your friends? Great, keep it on your hard drive. Are you doing it because you seek publication, ideally with payment? Then send it out and brace yourself, knowing it will probably be rejected, because that's what you have to do when publication is your goal.

So, why do you write?

Maryn, having one of those too-practical days

MsJudy
03-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Well, you know, what's the worst that can happen? You get rejected. Which means your story isn't published. Which it isn't now, anyway. So what have you got to lose?

It's not like they're going to come break your kneecaps if they don't like what you write.

Red-Green
03-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Then, the minute a story returns, send it out again. That same day, no excuse. Well, unless you're in a coma, and you should really have a surrogate subber on call for occasions like that.

This. I have a 24-hour rule. The story has to be back out the door in 24 hours. And I like to think if I were in a coma, one of my writing buddies would pick up the slack for me.

Calla Lily
03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Darn right we would.

blacbird
03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, you know, what's the worst that can happen?

Possession of soul by the Prince of Darkness for all eternity. And the Yankees win the World Series again.

caw

blacbird
03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
why are you writing? Are you doing it because you love it,

I was, once. Not so sure anymore.

and it fills the time,

I have more than enough necessities to "fill the time", every damn day.

gives you an in to a writing community,

Lack of success has pretty much killed off my "ins" to any "writing community". This is the only such thing I connect with anymore, and I'm seriously wondering about it.

gives you bragging rights among your friends?

You're being sarcastic, right?

send it out and brace yourself, knowing it will . . . be rejected,

That's what the track record confirms.

So, why do you write?

Dunno.

caw

Jamesaritchie
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Possession of soul by the Prince of Darkness for all eternity. And the Yankees win the World Series again.

caw

Sounds like a fair trade, to me.

MsJudy
03-27-2010, 05:34 AM

caw

I'd say more than a few people here would consider both of those to be very good things, indeed.

It's all how you look at it.

And you enjoy the self-pity pool, so...wallow away.

Polenth
03-27-2010, 05:55 AM
People could help you, but you won't let them. You don't provide enough information for anyone to suggest markets.

You've been doing that all the time I've been on the forum, which is several years now.

If you want to make a go of it, you can't do it half-heartedly. People will give you market lists, if you're specific about the story theme/genre/length and where you've tried before.

scarletpeaches
03-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Well, you're obviously waiting for someone to tell you to quit, so...quit. If you truly believe you're that bad, why waste your time and ours?

Ken
03-27-2010, 06:13 AM
... what I'd do is submit your stories to a whole bunch of mags that are potential fits. Talking at least a dozen. Then take it from there. Mags are often more flexible than they seem when it comes to their tastes in fiction. Guidelines often don't give a complete picture. If you aren't already doing so I'd suggest reading several issues of mags that handle similar, or slightly similar, stories like yours. G'luck :-)

ps And before sub'ing your stories, go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure they're as good as you can get them. Your time away from them may have given you some additional perspective, along with what you've picked up in the time since.

Mystic Blossom
03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm going to chime in here and say that absolutely, attitude matters a lot, and it's contagious. So even if you think being pessimistic isn't coming across in your stories and cover letters, it is, and it won't make an editor feel any better about your stuff. I'd like to see you succeed. I'd like to see everyone succeed. But if writing isn't making you happy, don't do it. It's as simple as that. But if it is, do your homework. Go to Duotrope. Find some markets you think your story would be good for and send it there.