PDA

View Full Version : Did I mention we were robbed today?

Cassiopeia
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
No?

Yes. Even now, I can't believe it. I live in Utah...that's UUUUUtttaaawww.

I was going out to my car this morning, (temp job) and as I opened the door to our garage, I noticed something odd. My son's garage door bay was up AND his car door was open. I thought, my gosh we are so lucky we don't get robbed in the night, stupid kid.

So I went back in, hollered down the basement stairs and woke him from his dead sleep at 7:15 am but that didn't get him out of his bed. No. I had to go down the steep stairs in my heels to say..Yo, dude. You left the garage door open and your car door open. Get up here and make sure your battery is not dead.

Well he got all weird and said, "Mom...I didn't leave it open. I know I didn't."

Yeah, we both flew up the stairs. When he got in his car it was warm. Had it been left like that with the door open all night, his car would have been that cold winter morning temp on the inside and the garage should have been cold as outside.

Near as I can figure, while I was getting ready for work, someone must have come in the garage, somehow (I can only think that the back door to the garage was not locked...opened up the bay door and was planning on stealing his car when they heard me coming. See I had started to go out there, unlocked the door and then remembered I forgot something. Jeez. In the end they did find his wallet in the dash cubby. So now he has to get a new driver's license and he canceled his debit card.

But yeah, I'm awake tonight wondering how the heck this happened.

We still tell each other he must have left the garage door bay open but then why wasn't it just as cold IN my garage as outside?

Adventures abound in the Clark family. Last week, near death and this week, robbery.

*face plant*

Gugland
03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that Cass. I've had a couple cars stolen, and the lesson I learned was to never, EVER leave any personally-identifying stuff in your car.

The first time, I got the car back with minimal damage (they destroyed the interior, but it still ran). But they had gotten ahold of a couple bills and a pay stub of mine. Luckily it was in the days before identity theft, but I still had to endure months of crank calls and people casing my place.

The second time, I had nothing they could use in the car, but they completely trashed it. They got caught, but the DA advised me against asking for restitution, since in the process I would have to give my full name and address (in court) to the little gang kids who stole it.

As luck would have it, I had a guy working for me at the time via a work-release program who was an "OG" in that same gang. He promised to make things right. I never asked if he followed through on it or not, but the sentiment alone made me feel better.

Hence, I drive crap cars. They get stolen just as often, but cost far less to replace. Oh, and yes, I was pulled over once and didn't have my registration with me (that whole personally-identifying information thing). I told the cop the above story, and after verifying that my DL matched my license plate, he didn't cite me for it.

sadron
03-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, Cass. Robbery is bad. I can only imagine how it is like, I've never been robbed.

*hugs*

nitaworm
03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm so sorry. My home was robbed when I was a kid (numourous times - I lived in the city). It's a horrible feeling. Just do what you have to in order to feel safe again.

cletus
03-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear. I had my car stolen once and even though I got it back I never enjoyed driving it again.

I hate thieving bastards.

scarletpeaches
03-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Ugh. I'm so sorry. Some people!

If you like, I can come round and be your guard dog until the culprits are 'detained' and by that I mean 'have their legs broken'.

heyjude
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Yowza! Sorry, Cass. That's awful.

My aunt had a similar situation, they broke into the garage and car and stole her purse. Luckily they were stupid kids. The police were able to track them to the mall with the credit cards. :)

Komnena
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
hugs

Jersey Chick
03-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry about that - how terrible. :Hug2: for you and yours.

Yeshanu
03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
:Hug2:

LOG
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I would change the garage door code.

Yeshanu
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Wise idea, LOG.

kayleamay
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
That sucks, Cass. I'm glad it was just the car and not your house though.

Someone bashed out my car window and stole my stereo once. I was furious for weeks. The window cost more to replace than the stereo was worth. The worst part: the car door wasn't even locked. Now I lock it even when it's parked in the garage.

stormie
03-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Cass--:Hug2:

Snowstorm
03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I am so sorry, Cassiopeia. As horrifying as the fact your house was broken into--while you and you're family were home no less--what can be worse is not knowing how they got in.

I can't relate. I've been fortunate as I've never been broken into. I can only imagine, and I bet my imagination is weak compared to the experiencing the real thing.

Best wishes to you and your family. You've had enough shocks recently to last a long time. :Hug2:

Cassiopeia
03-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that Cass. I've had a couple cars stolen, and the lesson I learned was to never, EVER leave any personally-identifying stuff in your car.
Yes and to think I told my son just last week don't leave your wallet in your car! I also told him I never ever lock my car in the locked garage. HA...foolish me. Though interesting enough, they left a ton of things in my car untouched which tells me, I interrupted them in the act.

Sorry to hear that, Cass. Robbery is bad. I can only imagine how it is like, I've never been robbed.

*hugs**hugs* here's hoping you never are.

I'm so sorry. My home was robbed when I was a kid (numourous times - I lived in the city). It's a horrible feeling. Just do what you have to in order to feel safe again.I'm not sure what to do but, I'll try. **hugs*

Sorry to hear. I had my car stolen once and even though I got it back I never enjoyed driving it again.

I hate thieving bastards.me too, I hate them. *hugs*

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Some people!

If you like, I can come round and be your guard dog until the culprits are 'detained' and by that I mean 'have their legs broken'.Oh now there's a thought. :D *hug*

Yowza! Sorry, Cass. That's awful.

My aunt had a similar situation, they broke into the garage and car and stole her purse. Luckily they were stupid kids. The police were able to track them to the mall with the credit cards. :)heyjude *hugs* it is awful. I never knew just how much until last night. No sleep.

hugs*hugs*

Sorry about that - how terrible. :Hug2: for you and yours.*hugs*

:Hug2:*hugs*

I would change the garage door code.that's just it, the key pad is dead. We can't use it to get in we have use our remotes. *hugs*

That sucks, Cass. I'm glad it was just the car and not your house though. Me too. *hugs*

Cass--:Hug2:*hugs*

I am so sorry, Cassiopeia. As horrifying as the fact your house was broken into--while you and you're family were home no less--what can be worse is not knowing how they got in.

I can't relate. I've been fortunate as I've never been broken into. I can only imagine, and I bet my imagination is weak compared to the experiencing the real thing.

Best wishes to you and your family. You've had enough shocks recently to last a long time. :Hug2:*hugs* yes, that makes three things in 2 weeks. Okay we are done with the scary stuff now.

backslashbaby
03-25-2010, 07:24 PM
It feels like such an invasion, doesn't it?! I'm so sorry! Hopefully it was just kids.

With my big guard dog here, nobody has broken into my car. They have shot out the windows in both cars, and all of the neighborhood cars, in one big spree. Grrrrr!!

Later, idiots like that actually SHOT TO BOTH SIDES OF ME one night!! Real bullets, into the dirt to my right then my left. Laughing hysterically.

God, sometimes I hate people.

Sorry...got carried away.

It's a good thing they just wanted your stuff, actually, eh? It's probably an isolated bit of asshattery ;)

Susie
03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Yikes, sorry, Cassi. :Hug2:s

Cassiopeia
03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
It feels like such an invasion, doesn't it?! I'm so sorry! Hopefully it was just kids.

With my big guard dog here, nobody has broken into my car. They have shot out the windows in both cars, and all of the neighborhood cars, in one big spree. Grrrrr!!

Later, idiots like that actually SHOT TO BOTH SIDES OF ME one night!! Real bullets, into the dirt to my right then my left. Laughing hysterically.

God, sometimes I hate people.

Sorry...got carried away.

It's a good thing they just wanted your stuff, actually, eh? It's probably an isolated bit of asshattery ;)On Saturday I wanted two guys, within a ten minute span of each other walk down my street. One on one side..one on the other. They aren't locals. Easy to spot someone trying to be nonchalant and failing miserably at it. I watched them thinking, they're casing the neighborhood. But tossed it off as just potential rudeness on my part. We are very lucky they didn't want to come into the house. Once in the garage no one would have known they were breaking and entering.

Yikes, sorry, Cassi. :Hug2:s*hugs*

kayleamay
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
So, this thread got me thinking about getting robbed and having someone creeping around my house and then I heard this loud crash outside the garage. (I'm home alone, I live on a dead end and my closest neighbors are a ways off.) So of course, I got all freaked out imagining that some sweaty guy in black clothes and a ski mask was prying my back door open. (I don't know why he was sweaty. It's cold out today.) Anyway, I crawled to the other side of the house (staying low so sweaty guy wouldn't see me) and then I peeked out my daughter's window. The wind had knocked my husband's ladder over. And THAT is how you write a blurb with a really disappointing ending.

Hang in there, Cass. Bad things happen in threes, so you've filled your quota for awhile.

writerterri
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd leave a note for them warning them that you're insured by Smith & Wesson.

What a terrible violation! We had something simular but in the evening time when we were loading our car. They waited until we went back into the house and stole our movies, the dvd player and my son's game boy.

Sorry that happened to you and your son. Glad you didn't surprise the guy though.

Kitty Pryde
03-25-2010, 10:25 PM
That sucks! I'm glad you two are ok, though. It's creepy to think about people breaking into your place.

Humorous robbery story: My mom's car was stolen a few years back, in broad daylight in front of the middle school where she worked. In a nice neighborhood in a small town. She was a bit freaked out because of all the ID stuff in the glove compartment, and because they took the car obviously.

Luckily the car turned up two days later in the seedy part of town, not too damaged. All the ID stuff was untouched. They hadn't stolen the expensive tire chains or any of the tools and emergency equipment stuff in the trunk. The only stuff they took were some bags of clothes and a pair of crutches that my mom had planned to drop off at the Goodwill after work :D

sassandgroove
03-26-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Cassi - I know it is unsettling. SOmeone broke into my neighbor's house which prompted us to activate the alarm system that was in the house when we bought it.

backslashbaby
03-26-2010, 01:28 AM
That's a great story, Kitty :D

Humorous car-stolen story of a different flavor:

A friend in college just got a new mercedes from his folks. He was a total slack-off, btw. So he gets drunk, meets some dudes from DC at a party... and gives them his keys to bring his new car around for all of them.

Bwahahahahaha!

Cassiopeia
03-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Thanks you guys. Kitty, awesome story.

*group hug*

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-26-2010, 02:31 AM
On Saturday I wanted two guys, within a ten minute span of each other walk down my street. One on one side..one on the other. They aren't locals. Easy to spot someone trying to be nonchalant and failing miserably at it. I watched them thinking, they're casing the neighborhood. But tossed it off as just potential rudeness on my part. We are very lucky they didn't want to come into the house. Once in the garage no one would have known they were breaking and entering.

*hugs*

Human beings are the only animals who ignore their better instincts.

I'd leave a note for them warning them that you're insured by Smith & Wesson.

Around the Ol' Plantation, it ain't easy to get in without making LOTS of racket; but if they do get in, they're gonna have a hard time gettin' back out.

brainstorm77
03-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Sorry to hear this :( My car was vandalized back in 2003, it was my first new car ever and the damages came to about 3000 at the time. It took me ages to get over the feeling of being violated.

SWest
03-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Phew! That's a hard cup of coffee to swallow. I had a few break-ins at a weekend place I had (once upon a time), and you certainly do KNOW when a stranger has been in your space.

Husband travels a lot, but I am literally surrounded by dogs 24-7; I recommend it!

:kiss:

SWest
03-26-2010, 02:48 AM

'Cause we're the only species that berates its young when they begin practicing self-defense. (Does anyone remember being told, "Don't say 'no' to me!"?)

Sweetleaf
03-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I'm so sorry, Cassiopeia :Hug2:

It's things like this that make me wish I could afford to live in my parents neighbourhood. Some guys tried breaking into their house the other week, and neighbours got the car, licence plate, description of the guys, everything. They were scared off by the alarm, but mum & dad had people coming over for days to make sure they were okay.

Here, even the little old chinese lady next door steals plants from my garden. And dumps her weeds on my front verge. :rant:

Cassiopeia
03-26-2010, 03:52 AM
As it turns out, I had a realty company here today so I can list my house again and they told me about my neighbors six doors down. These guys are professionals. They actually got into their house, found the car keys and made off with their two cars.

I guess we are lucky I happened to be going to work when I was.

Yeshanu
03-26-2010, 05:04 AM
That does sound like professionals! Hope they get the guys soon--they can't be terribly smart pros if they hit the same neighborhood twice so close together. You did notify the police, didn't you?

bettielee
03-26-2010, 05:55 AM
oh no Cass. I'm so sorry! Thank goodness you scared him off!

Cassiopeia
03-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I called the police tonight... there was a jacked up tahoe..going through the neighborhood...turns out I was one of four who complained. So what does the cop start doing? Questioning me why I didn't phone them sooner about the robbery. I said, can you get the stuff back?

Well no. he said.

and he repeated his question so my son said, LOOK, she had to run to work, I had work, and really we didn't think it worth bothering you over, now we are telling you cos these guys are casing the area.

So the cops says, yeah I pulled them over...comcast salesmen. I said...no...they aren't...they tried to duck from my view. and he goes well they have the papers.

I just got the feeling, he didn't care and we were bothering him.

mario_c
03-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Cass, that's a bad situation. I feel for you...it's like I always said, there is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood anymore. Rural areas have the isolation and higher level of employment / income that attracts burglars, plus the isolation intensifies during the work week. As a guy who has always lived off the radar work wise, it's amazing what a ghost town your average suburban enclave turns into on any given Tuesday morning, for example...

backslashbaby
03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Cass, that's a bad situation. I feel for you...it's like I always said, there is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood anymore. Rural areas have the isolation and higher level of employment / income that attracts burglars, plus the isolation intensifies during the work week. As a guy who has always lived off the radar work wise, it's amazing what a ghost town your average suburban enclave turns into on any given Tuesday morning, for example...

This.

And they know it takes the cops 15 minutes to get here. I'm rural and on/right by many very fast getaway routes. The cops feel awful about it, but it's so hard to catch anyone who zooms off.

BTW, have you thought of good cameras? That's what we're going to out here.

Cassiopeia
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm making sure we have all our doors and windows locked...at all times.

Oh and one other thing, I realized one of my neighbor's remotes is triggering my door. I need to change the code now.

DragonHeart
03-31-2010, 05:01 AM
We were robbed when I was young, luckily no one was home. If I remember right they stole our cable box and one of them cut their hand on a letter opener or the glass window on the door or something. I'm glad I was too young to really understand what it meant at the time.

There was a huge fight in front of our house a couple years ago, too. We're talking 100+ kids, a couple of knives involved, police everywhere. That was a really weird experience considering that this is not that kind of area at all.

I've considered getting a dog a few times for reasons like that, actually. My mom's fiancee had a rottie who loved scaring people, it was a great game to her. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have one (a dog, not necessarily a Rottweiler) since I live more or less alone now, even if they are just "next door". We'll see, I can't adopt another pet right now cause of Zippy anyways.