Daily Show Destroys Glen Beck :)

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Jon is excellent. This guy knows how to satire.

Here's another one from November.

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-5-2009/the-11-3-project'>The 11/3 Project<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:254892' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos/tag/health'>Health Care Reform</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
"Obviously, I'm not saying this is a plot by Hitler to steal Glen Beck from all of us internal organ by internal organ by internal organ and then reprogram him to use as a weapon."

LOL! This guy is so damn funny.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Glen Beck is such an easy target. I can understand (though not agree with) why some people pay serious devotional attention to what Limbaugh says, what O'Reilly says, even what Hannity says. But Beck is so obviously off the rails, he makes Ann Coulter look positively rational.

caw

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Glen Beck is such an easy target. I can understand (though not agree with) why some people pay serious devotional attention to what Limbaugh says, what O'Reilly says, even what Hannity says. But Beck is so obviously off the rails, he makes Ann Coulter look positively rational.

caw

The scariest thing in the world for me is that there are a group of people who believe and follow him.

Makes me want to start my own cult. But i'd need a really really looney platform, you know, the loonier the better.

Maybe something like there is an alien plot to take over the world using cell phones to reprogram our brains....

hmmm.... I'll have to think about it.

Mel...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My friend, Sam the Libertarian, owned and loved every single Anne Coulter book I've ever read.

And my other friend, Paul the Programmer, owns two Glen Beck books.

My friends scare me sometimes...

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I do love Jon Stewart, and Colbert. But I also love Glen Beck. All bring up excellent points and topics worth pondering on long Sundays over coffee. They're two halves of a whole. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. I wouldn't want either side to go away. :)

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I though that bit dragged on... and on. Good satire doesn't telegraph so much IMHO.

I agree with you, every one raved about it and to be sure the sarcasm was top notch, but I thought he could have done it in half the time. Honestly, all you really need to do with Beck is start with a picture of Jim and Tammy faye Baker to underscore the nutsyness of his lunacy... But I give Stewart all the credit in the world, because as I've said before, sometimes his,,, is the only voice of reason in this mad, mad, mad world.....

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Arguing with Idiots is actually a pretty good read. Obviously ghost-written.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I ask this question to people all the time: If Bozo the Clown told you what to think, and who to listen to, would you follow his advice? The answer is always a resounding NO, don't be silly...
So then I point out that Bozo, is a very nicely paid entertainer entrusted with the job of making people laugh, so that Bozo's sponsors make money. YES, they always say.

Well, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin, Mitch Ablum, and Bill O'reilly are all ENTERTAINERS, just like BOZO....EXACTLY THE SAME FIELD.....................

WHY DO YOU BELIVE IN THEM BUT YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN BOZO.... YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE.....

THEY'RE SOLE PURPOSE IS TO MAKE MONEY FOR THEIR SPONSERS........

If they believed all the BULLSHIT they spewed every day they would not accept ONE DIME... But they are PAID ENTERTAINERS they don't give two shits how you vote, or what happens to the country as long as their ratings are high...

THEY HATE WHEN REPUBLICANS ARE IN OFFICE because their ratings TANK........

BOZO MAKES ME LAUGH ,,,, so do these morons,,,, Stop thinking they CARE,,,, CAUSE THEY DON"T.......

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Don. People still believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and Benevolent and Peaceful Uncle Sam.

Where's the stretch in believing anything else?

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
Beck’s got a much larger market share than Stewart.
Jon’s funny, sometimes.
Glen’s a nut, who gets you thinking.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Glen Back's oratory style is a relatively recent one developed by Christian Evangelical preachers over the past 20 years.

He appeals broadly to that base. And it's a honkin' huge base too.

Some background on the different oratory styles used by Christian preachers of ALL stripes (not just the Evangelical ones) over the past several hundred years ..........

The first really big time modern day evangelist (not the first "Evangelical," which is a flavor of Christianity, but the first big time modern day "evangelist" which is a traveling preacher who addresses a huge crowd with intent to convert) was George Whitefield. He had a very theatrical style of preaching ad preferred open air preaching to the limitations of an enclosed church setting. His forray onto theatrical rather than the quiet and staid demeanor more typical of Christian church history set him apart.

After him, another huge name was Charles Finney. Finney was also very theatrical, he preferred open air meetings and later pioneerd the "tent meeting." He developed a preaching style that emphasized the immediacy of needing to get saved and not put it off least one die that very evening and be sent to Hell forever -- later nown as the "turn or burn" style of preaching, and the "fire-n-brimstone" style. He invented the "altar call," and also invented "commitement cards." He turned up the heat on the emotional aspect of religion, downplaying the thinking and the rationality.

Both Whitefield and Finney adopted an important oratory trick that profesisonal singers get trained in. It's a trick that goes back thousands of years to the ancient Greeks and is essential when addressing a huge crowd without the aid of a microphone and sound system The trick is to over-pronounce the final-consonant sound of all your words. Thus, instead of merely saying "God," you have to say "GAWW-DUH!" Failure to over-pronounce the final consonant ending results in your words falling weakly upon the struggling ears of just the people in the front row, and then not reaching anyone beyond the third row. ALL successful tent preachers and open air preachers adopted that trick. And it has thus become a cliche associated with them.

This style carried over into the 20th century for preachers and politicians alike, and even into radio days and the days of microphones. (Not to go all Godwin on you fine folks here, but even Hitler took professional oratory lessons before his rise to power, and he was also instructed on these oratory tricks, as well as on how to strike several very deliberate body poses while up on a stage in order to have the most visual impact during his speaking.)

By the 1950's, with microphones very common, a new style of preaching began evolving, one that was much more soft-spoken. Billy Graham pretty much became the world leader of "the soft-spoken evangelist."

In the 1980's peaching began to shift toward self-improvement, adopting a feel-good message that incorpated psycho-babble, so the vocabulary of preaching began getting introspective and quasi-scientific. There was "thoughtfulness" in this new preaching style, incorporating deiberate pauses and silences, nuanced moments of intense intelectualizing. But becasue actual rock solid logic wasn't always a strong point, only neo-logic and very tennuous associations, the foundational undercurrent remained emotional rather than rational -- it merely FELT rational is all. Also, some very sophisticated usage of the physical area on the stage also began to evolve, not merely swaggering from left to right with arms waving. A measured drama where the physical space on the stage played a pre-planned role in the stories being told also began to evolve. It was interesting to watch, and a skilled preacher could keep the crowd engaged for well over an hour. And then overhead projectors with slide shows and then PowerPoint presentations eventually became common. And so walking across the stage to the projector screen in order to broadly point at specific items on it also got incorporated. I have seen terrible usage of the screens in many sermons, and every now and again I see a phenomenal usage of it.

Glen Beck uses a very keenly measured version of this post-1970's style of preaching, complete with the deliberate moments of silence and the thoughtful interaction witb the blackboard and/or the projector screen. Also he sadly pays more attention to crafting each of his presentatinos according to the intended emotional impact, with intellect and logic merely secondary tools that service the end-goal of emotionalism. And his license to incorporate the projector screens/blackboards only increased after the success of An Inconvenient Truth.

There is a HUGE base among the American public that responds very well to this neo-intellectual church-incubated style of oratory/presentation that Glen Back uses. You can make fun of him, but he has impact on them -- they relate very intensely to what he's saying, and they latch onto it and agree wholeheartedly. His downfall is that he's preaching only to the choir and thus gaining no new converts. However, via all this negative mockery of him, he's gaining a martyrdom status, which is militating his current fan base to come to his defense and cast a more faithful support of him.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Don. People still believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and Benevolent and Peaceful Uncle Sam.

Where's the stretch in believing anything else?

Hey I still believe in Santa Claus, but I'd tell him to f--off if started talking politics.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Glen Back's oratory style is a relatively recent one developed by Christian Evangelical preachers over the past 20 years.

He appeals broadly to that base. And it's a honkin' huge base too.

Some background on the different oratory styles used by Christian preachers of ALL stripes (not just the Evangelical ones) over the past several hundred years ..........

The first really big time modern day evangelist (not the first "Evangelical," which is a flavor of Christianity, but the first big time modern day "evangelist" which is a traveling preacher who addresses a huge crowd with intent to convert) was George Whitefield. He had a very theatrical style of preaching ad preferred open air preaching to the limitations of an enclosed church setting. His forray onto theatrical rather than the quiet and staid demeanor more typical of Christian church history set him apart.

After him, another huge name was Charles Finney. Finney was also very theatrical, he preferred open air meetings and later pioneerd the "tent meeting." He developed a preaching style that emphasized the immediacy of needing to get saved and not put it off least one die that very evening and be sent to Hell forever -- later nown as the "turn or burn" style of preaching, and the "fire-n-brimstone" style. He invented the "altar call," and also invented "commitement cards." He turned up the heat on the emotional aspect of religion, downplaying the thinking and the rationality.

Both Whitefield and Finney adopted an important oratory trick that profesisonal singers get trained in. It's a trick that goes back thousands of years to the ancient Greeks and is essential when addressing a huge crowd without the aid of a microphone and sound system The trick is to over-pronounce the final-consonant sound of all your words. Thus, instead of merely saying "God," you have to say "GAWW-DUH!" Failure to over-pronounce the final consonant ending results in your words falling weakly upon the struggling ears of just the people in the front row, and then not reaching anyone beyond the third row. ALL successful tent preachers and open air preachers adopted that trick. And it has thus become a cliche associated with them.

This style carried over into the 20th century for preachers and politicians alike, and even into radio days and the days of microphones. (Not to go all Godwin on you fine folks here, but even Hitler took professional oratory lessons before his rise to power, and he was also instructed on these oratory tricks, as well as on how to strike several very deliberate body poses while up on a stage in order to have the most visual impact during his speaking.)

By the 1950's, with microphones very common, a new style of preaching began evolving, one that was much more soft-spoken. Billy Graham pretty much became the world leader of "the soft-spoken evangelist."

In the 1980's peaching began to shift toward self-improvement, adopting a feel-good message that incorpated psycho-babble, so the vocabulary of preaching began getting introspective and quasi-scientific. There was "thoughtfulness" in this new preaching style, incorporating deiberate pauses and silences, nuanced moments of intense intelectualizing. But becasue actual rock solid logic wasn't always a strong point, only neo-logic and very tennuous associations, the foundational undercurrent remained emotional rather than rational -- it merely FELT rational is all. Also, some very sophisticated usage of the physical area on the stage also began to evolve, not merely swaggering from left to right with arms waving. A measured drama where the physical space on the stage played a pre-planned role in the stories being told also began to evolve. It was interesting to watch, and a skilled preacher could keep the crowd engaged for well over an hour. And then overhead projectors with slide shows and then PowerPoint presentations eventually became common. And so walking across the stage to the projector screen in order to broadly point at specific items on it also got incorporated. I have seen terrible usage of the screens in many sermons, and every now and again I see a phenomenal usage of it.

Glen Beck uses a very keenly measured version of this post-1970's style of preaching, complete with the deliberate moments of silence and the thoughtful interaction witb the blackboard and/or the projector screen. Also he sadly pays more attention to crafting each of his presentatinos according to the intended emotional impact, with intellect and logic merely secondary tools that service the end-goal of emotionalism. And his license to incorporate the projector screens/blackboards only increased after the success of An Inconvenient Truth.

There is a HUGE base among the American public that responds very well to this neo-intellectual church-incubated style of oratory/presentation that Glen Back uses. You can make fun of him, but he has impact on them -- they relate very intensely to what he's saying, and they latch onto it and agree wholeheartedly. His downfall is that he's preaching only to the choir and thus gaining no new converts. However, via all this negative mockery of him, he's gaining a martyrdom status, which is militating his current fan base to come to his defense and cast a more faithful support of him.

BUT he's a LIAR........A charlatan, and a fraud...... You realize that he MAKES STUFF UP THAT ISN'T TRUE.......

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
BUT he's a LIAR........A charlatan, and a fraud...... You realize that he MAKES STUFF UP THAT ISN'T TRUE.......

I think his PERCEPTIONS are faulty to the point of scary, and his logical processes inept. But I don't think he deliberately lies. I think he sincerely believe these things, and I find the idea of such well-intended folly far more disturbing than the idea of outright lying.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin, Mitch Ablum, and Bill O'reilly are all ENTERTAINERS, just like BOZO....EXACTLY THE SAME FIELD.....................
Just for the record, Mitch Albom is about as conservative as Barney Frank. Gotta protect the rep of my homeys.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What I find interesting about Glen Beck is that embedded within the entertaining diatribes are nuggets of verifiable history that I wouldn't have known existed without his bringing them up. (And yes---I DO verify them.) There have been as many nuts in government positions (on both sides of the moderate fence) in the past as there are on talk shows today. Learning about them and what they stood for helps us understand both the past and our future.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Let me just throw this out there.... Let's assume that Beck is the most righteous of men, and that he doesn't get PAID to be so, uh hum,,(That's my throat clearing as I try not to choke on my question)

If the man was found to lie, or misstate the truth JUST ONCE,,, would you still listen....Now keep in mind the Stewart video..... See, If I catch you lying to me, IT'S OVER, Your credibility is gone, so I don't get how anyone can take anything these guys say as gospel .