Collapse of the interwebs!

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Well, guys.

It's happened.

At least in the American part of the world, Wikipedia is down. For at least an hour.

I mean, hell, we might as well just call civilization over now. Who the hell doesn't use wikipedia for basically all their information, ever? :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I know! I was just trying to include a link from it in a post, which showed up in Google, but the actual site wasn't available.

I had to post without it and lose the earth-shattering point I was making. :D It's the world's loss, I tell you! (Oh, and Wikipedia is a big loss, too.)

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
And according to the wikipedia guys, it's going to take a whole *HOUR* to get back up.

Come on. We live in a tech age. If it takes more than thirty seconds to do something, it just ain't worth doing.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
it's going to take a whole *HOUR* to get back up.

Come on. We live in a tech age. If it takes more than thirty seconds to do something, it just ain't worth doing.

I actually felt a pang of horror reading that. :D Life without Wikipedia? Don't even say it in jest! :scared: :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I can imagine the scene in the server room now! Aw, I feel bad for them :)

Deleted member 42

Just letting you folks know--it can get worse.

We'll be shuttting AW down for at least an hour on Monday night.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
everyone knows the interwebs only truly collapse when i am on holiday in the jungle...without access.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed it was down when posting in that pepper-weapon thread. I know some guys who would be willing to sell the Wikipedia guys a few racks of colocation servers and such. Of course with the traffic Wikipedia has, that might be expensive.

But yeah - maybe those Wikipedia folks could learn something about colocation, load balancing and such.

I've got a 1960's World Book Encyclopedia at home, but for some reason it's not self-updating.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*Checks April 1st isn't Monday*

*Breathes sigh of relief*

Hah, yeah, as if you'd pretend the forum was down as an April Fool's joke! You'd never do that, right? Right?

*gets hysterical*

Deleted member 42

Hah, yeah, as if you'd pretend the forum was down as an April Fool's joke! You'd never do that, right? Right?

No. Never. I will never ever to anything to scare or worry users. Users (to a geek) are delicate, easily frightened forest creatures who are so clueless that they click on the links in phishing emails--therefore we do not do stuff that might make them do silly things.

I will make fun of myself, mods, and MacCannister, ruthlessly.

There's a post here in the archives about byte-sexing . . .