• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Swap… or just critique mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wax_and_wick

she sells seashells
Registered
Reaction score
Swap… or just critique mine! Mine is YA fantasy - no vampires. I'll read most genres.

EDIT: I HAVE ENOUGH BETAS FOR NOW. :)

Hi! This isn’t the typical beta request, so I thought I’d post it here instead of trying to contact betas.

I’m looking for someone to critique/edit my completed manuscript… I’d prefer to do an exchange and beta someone else’s work (or do graphic work – see below) as we send our chapters back and forth, but I’d be happy for any serious critique or edit. (I’d feel a little safer knowing what the other person was getting out of it.) I recently decided that my first novel absolutely must be critiqued – it’s been rejected by 30 agents so far, and I worry that the first chapters are too cliché… so I finally decided to join the forum I’d been lurking around and see if anyone was interested!

You must be:
a keen reader and writer
willing to read YA fantasy (a childish high fantasy)

What I can do for you:
· I’m open to reading any genre except nonfiction (which bores me). Genres that I am very familiar with are romance (I’m a historical romance junkie), fantasy, and YA. I also write/read poetry. I could help you with plot-troubleshooting or query letters, too.
· OR – if you have something you want to publish on Lulu or a similar service… I could make a cover for you. I’m a graphic designer and also have considerable skill with digital painting. If you want an illustrated cover (as opposed to a stock photo or something)… that does do take a lot of time, so while you wouldn’t be expected to use it if you didn’t like it, I’d prefer to only make covers for projects you’re actually planning to self-publish. (Instead of spending twenty hours on a cover that you know will sit on your desktop forever.)
· I’d be best at helping you with plot (holes, pacing, etc), characters, and tone. I can make little edits to make your work sound better as I read through. I’m good at spotting most grammatical errors, although I have a heavy hand with commas, so I might not be able to spot those. I’m not good at catching spelling errors unless they’re way off. I’m not good at making dialogue sound interesting. I can tell you what parts work or don’t work. (For things like poetry… I’m not good at evaluating classical meter, but I can tell you if it sounds trite and suggest changes to make words have the right impact.)
· It’s not my nature to balance every criticism with a compliment. If you don’t want a very raw critique, you’ll have to tell me. (I’m open to toning myself down – I won’t avoid saying what needs to be said, but I can try to say it nicely!) :)
· I won’t let your work languish on my desk. I’ll return it promptly, and hope you would do the same for me.

What you can do for me:
The project I want you to work with is a 69,000 word YA fantasy. It has been proofread by four people, including myself. There shouldn’t be many, if any, grammatical or spelling errors. I worry that the first three chapters are cliché and awkward. I feel that I have a stellar plot, but haven’t made the most of it.
I would like a close read-through of the first three chapters (with “track changes” on in MS Word). Noting and/or changing awkward parts and critiquing the possible clichés. Really, any suggestions at all! I’d like harsh – and by that I mean honest – criticism. I’d also really appreciate if you looked over my query letter!

If you have a longer project you’d like me to work with and you’d like to continue critiquing, we could go on and exchange more chapters after that. I picture this as a tentative commitment in the beginning, which we could renew after my first three chapters were read and I’ve done equivalent work for you. I can make myself available to you over IM or e-mail. (I would expect the actual file transfers to be over e-mail, with real-life names involved.)

Last edited:

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
What's the story about? I have a few betas reading mine so I wouldn't exchange but I could read chapter 1 and your query and let you know if I am hooked or not and why... PM if interested.

wax_and_wick

she sells seashells
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you... but someone else has responded and we're exchanging a few chapters. :)

For now I'm all set... the response was rather surprising! I thought I'd have to wait weeks to get any reply. ;)

I don't know what the etiquette is - if I should delete my post or edit the original to reflect this?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wax, you leave the post up with an addition like EDIT: HAVE ENOUGH BETAS FOR NOW. or something like that.

Maryn, glad to hear you got plenty of replies

Status
Not open for further replies.