CeeCeeElle

Someday, I'll be on your bookshelf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
builderofworlds.wordpress.com
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to this, so I don't quite know how to react to this situation:

An agent has my full and emailed me a little past the one-month mark to let me know that he is reading it, but would like to get in a second read. He asked me to in the meantime send info on any other projects I'm working on.

I of course sent the requested info, but I have yet to hear back, and I'm on pins and needles. Is this a good thing? Part of me thinks yes, and part of me thinks maybe not. What do y'all think? (Besides that I just need to be patient. ;) )

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to this, so I don't quite know how to react to this situation:

An agent has my full and emailed me a little past the one-month mark to let me know that he is reading it, but would like to get in a second read. He asked me to in the meantime send info on any other projects I'm working on.

I of course sent the requested info, but I have yet to hear back, and I'm on pins and needles. Is this a good thing? Part of me thinks yes, and part of me thinks maybe not. What do y'all think? (Besides that I just need to be patient. ;) )

It's a sign that he liked what he was reading, read to the end, probably wouldn't consider a second read unless he was considering representation...or a request for revisions... So, on that level, positive.

But before you start dancing, you don't know whether he asks all people who he doesn't outright reject for this info or only select few. If he routinely asks for this info, it's better than a pass but not yet an indicator of more than that. Now, if you knew he rarely asked for this info, then maybe you could be more positive. But until he actually offers or asks for pre-offer revisions, be cautiously optimistic.

It's agood sign that he read to the end, and wants to read again. And that he asked for that info. But it's not a done deal yet and there's no way to know how good of a sign it is - for all you know, he's asked a hundred prospective clients for this info but in the end passed on all of them. Or maybe he rarely asks for it, and so asking for it was a very good sign. No way to predict.

So, be patient. :) And keep querying other agents in the meantime. Good luck.

~suki

CeeCeeElle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I've been very careful not to get overly excited. Everything you said was very helpful. Thanks for the advice and encouragement! :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I've been very careful not to get overly excited. Everything you said was very helpful. Thanks for the advice and encouragement! :)

That's not to say that you can't walk around with happy anticipation. But my post was all about keeping it in perspective so as not to be crushed if it turns into a pass.

Also, do take from it that an agent read the whole thing and wants to re-read. That in and of itself is a good sign that your writing is on the right track, if not more.

good luck.

~suki

CeeCeeElle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you so much for the kind words! And, yes, a little kernel of reasonable anticipation is good. I definitely have that. But I try to think a lot about how it'll feel if he passes and how I'll react, just to prepare myself.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! You rock. :)

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Celebrate the request, anyway. No matter what happens. There's a good sign there, that your writing made it onto an agent's desk. Keep us posted on what happens!

CeeCeeElle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There must be some weird synergy happening. The very day I post on here, I get an email from the agent.

It was long, with helpful feedback, and basically a request to send synopses of later books in the series so that we can discuss how to make revisions. Main problem with the ms was the word count; it's far too long, which I know and have been conscientiously working on. The rest of the feedback was positive, so I'm hoping that once we start talking about length, and I continue making revisions, this might lead to something. At the very least, I think I will get a good deal of helpful feedback.

A little overwhelmed, though! Not sure how to deal yet. o_O

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like she's really thinking about this as a whole, and not just a one book project. So she's obviously trying to get a feel for your future career.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the agent would take the time to discuss revisions unless he was considering representing the book(s). It may not be an offer yet, but it's something to be very hopeful about.