Super-size me, Jesus, through the drive-thru lane of life

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bet they never drove to the mailbox, either.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
What a crappy article. They could at least have put forth the effort to show comparative pictures to prove their point rather than just drawing their own conclusions.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite a stretch, really. I mean, who's to say the changes in the meal sizes aren't because of artists' bad eyesight and they painted the plates larger so they can be seen from 15 feet away?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite a stretch, really. I mean, who's to say the changes in the meal sizes aren't because of artists' bad eyesight and they painted the plates larger so they can be seen from 15 feet away?

Yeah, it's why I'd like to see the paintings they drew these conclusions from.

Otherwise it's more like "These aren't the droids you're looking for--" kind of reporting.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You mean there's other kinds of reporting available nowadays?

You got me there. I guess I still expect unbiased presentation of facts and conclusions brought on not only by evidence but that evidence reported as well so that anyone who reads it has the chance to come to those conclusions as well. Show me two paintings of the same size and with the same approximate use and intentions, and then show me how different those food portions are and I'll go "gee, they really did supersize that." Without that, I'm stuck either taking their word for it or having questions with no answers.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
if you hung around with the nazarene, it would be hard to stay fit, what with all the fishes and the loaves and the free wine.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
See, we need experts to tell us important things we could never figure out by ourselves, like the fact that folks eat more now than they did in the past. I for one am grateful for their insight.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More from Yahoo:
The study is "not very meaningful science," said Martin Binks, a behavioral health psychologist and a consultant at Duke University Medical Center. "We have real life examples of the increase in portion size — all you have to do is look at what's being sold at fast-food restaurants."

A more contemporary test would be to analyze portion sizes in Super Bowl commercials, he suggested.

"That would be a much more meaningful snapshot of how this society's relationship to food has changed," Binks said.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Your thread title sounds like it could be the title of a Carrie Underwood or Toby Keith song.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Our best friends are Messianic Jews (with a great sense of humor) and every Passover they lay out a HUGE spread of food for the Seder.

The first time my buddy saw the Last Supper painting he only had two comments. The first: "looks like the artist said 'everyone who wants to be in the picture with Jesus, get on that side of the table!'" The second: "Being a rabbi, Jesus should know how to set up a Seder table. So where's the matzo ball soup, the baked egg, and the shankbone?" :D

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
8vzxw3.jpg

Last edited: