Harris poll: Republican views of Obama, good stuff

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
7 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was "not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president" 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is "doing many of the things that Hitler did" Scariest of all, 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama "may be the Antichrist."

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know where they got the 2,330 people to ask these questions. Were they all uneducated hilljack republicans, or were they of the more mainstream variety?

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
If I were Barry I'd go with the AntiChrist label, It has a great ring to it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Obama Derangement Syndrome—pathological hatred of the president posing as patriotism—has infected the Republican Party.
:ROFL:

The author needs to be a little more creative and come up with an original tagline, I think. He's a little too much of a wingnut, for me.

That said, the "Obama's a secret Muslim" nonsense troubles me greatly. Hate to see it, and those that spout it aren't helping with anything, anything at all.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know where they got the 2,330 people to ask these questions. Were they all uneducated hilljack republicans, or were they of the more mainstream variety?

No according to the article they said college educated folks were less likely to be duped, as they said. That makes me feel better.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Well, they weren't all Republicans. It a small sample size, to be sure. But I think there's enough evidence out there to show that meaningful numbers of people believe these stupid things about Obama.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
4) Will arrange to pay their mortgage payment and put gas in their car.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
What really amazes me isn't that someone can hate Obama or for that matter be the greatest, raging, sheet wearing, prejudiced, racist, white supremacist negro hater of all time. Ok at least I know where you stand. What gets me is that many people who have never exhibited this kind of hostility are being baited into these stereotypes with little more motivation than listening to a partisan radio show. I don't get it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Now that's one fine example of unbiased, objective reporting there.

You know, the numbers are way scary enough. Throwing all that partisan hyperbole in there just makes it less likely that people in the middle will actually pay attention to what's being said. Preaching to the choir may be fun, but it doesn't convert many sinners.

Information: Very Interesting, even scary, if the data hasn't been cherry-picked.
Authorship: Massive Fail. Victim of pot-kettle syndrome.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, Bush was being tagged as the anti-christ, too (for the record, that's the one group here that I have serious doubts about, with regard to this poll and others: I think the polls don't account for hyperbolic and/or metaphoric responses, at all). And some time back in another thread, I linked to a poll that showed a healthy percentage of Dems who believed that Bush/the US government knew about 9-11 beforehand, or was actually behind it.

So what am I saying? People, for the most part, are sheep. All people, right, left, center, wherever.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
The results are obviously skewed. Besides polling the Right-threaded 'Wingnuts', they need to poll the Left-threaded 'Whackjobs' and see how many believe that the President:
1) Can Do No Wrong (even when [gasp] he is)
2) Is the Second (and Third) coming of [insert $Deity Here]
3) Is Rubber and You're Glue.

The underlying problem D.M is when in American politics have you ever seen this kind of vitriol spewed in the direction of President in his first year of office. Even G.W. got the American people (by in large) behind him after 911 and in the beginning of his second term. Had GW listened to someone other than Rove and Cheney, his detractors would have been lessened as well. The hatred of this president is deep and fueled by racism and sustained by intolerance - masked as patriotism, something I've never seen in my lifetime.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
So what am I saying? People, for the most part, are sheep. All people, right, left, center, wherever.
Yep, and if you're not a sheep, then you're obviously insane. By definition, really.
Insanity, craziness or madness is a spectrum of behaviors characterized by certain abnormal mental or behavioral patterns.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it's just two sides of a coin. Some believe Obama is the Antichrist, others do not. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.
Some believe Obama is the Antichrist, and some believe he is the Messiah.

There, that's a little more balanced way of looking at it. :)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
No according to the article they said college educated folks were less likely to be duped, as they said. That makes me feel better.

That's the part of the article that made me wonder who exactly they spoke with.

And I find it funny that the same people that think he's a secret muslim probably talk a lot about Obama attending Jeremiah Wright's church.

Either he's Muslim or Christian, take your pick but he can't be both. And if they think he's a secret Muslim, that sure would have taken a lot of prior planning...didn't he go to the same church for like 20 years? Wow that's a looooong time to commit to keeping that secret. That would mean that he knew he'd be in a high political position all the way back when he was in his 20's. Gimme a break.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The 45% who believe he was born outside the US troubles me more than the 7% who think he's a Muslim. And the 38% who think he's doing the same things Hitler did. That's just plain delusional.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
I think that Barack Obama lacks a credibility with the people. His ability to see the worst in us comes much too easily, while his acknowledgement of what makes us great (aside from the fact that he was able to become president, he likes that a lot) always seems forced as if he is bearing false witness. Maybe the ability of his critics to demonize him so easily has something to do with him? If the Republicans were this guy's only problem, he and the Democrats would not be staring down a potential defeat in November. What people are ignoring with stupid stories like this is that Obama is losing the middle. People in the middle do not have Obama Derangement Syndrome... or do they? This is the tact. Make every issue with Obama a matter of either misguided delusion or racism.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
You know, Torrance me boy, I've discovered that I love Obama.

And it only took several bottles of Patron Silver to get there.

NB, whose liver will be buried with separate honors

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It would be pretty much impossible for me to disagree with you more, Torrance.

The main reasons Obama was losing the middle were (1) the impatience with the economic recovery, (2) concerns about spending, and (3) the health care debate. All issues with policies being pursued by Obama. All legitimate, ordinary reasons for people to become less supportive. Obama as a person has remained relatively well-liked in polls among this group.

What we're talking about here is the members of the opposition party, and reasons that neither have anything to do with policies, nor have even a remote basis in reality.