How long a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eScotty

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm submitting a proposal to a publishing house for a book that is a collection of profiles. I could have 15, 18 or 20 solid profiles, depending on what the overall length of the book should be. But how to judge whether it should be 70,000 words or 100,000 words in length? Is there a "standard" length for such non-fiction books?

Also, what if the proposal wins me a book contract but I discover while researching and writing the book that I would like to drop certain profile subjects and add others? Am I stuck with having to follow every detail of what my proposal contained?

Thanks,
eScotty

Last edited:

InternalMelody

disregard the below if you're already published.

the mistake most first time writers make is prolong their first work with countless words. in the end, whether they choose to believe it or not, most of what they end up typing results in senseless ramblings. what shoulda been a 50,000word manuscript shouldn't be turned into a 80,000 word manuscript just because you want your book to be thick.

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, eScotty and welcome to AW.

I would suggest that you do some market research into similar books, if you haven't already. See roughly how long they are. If they are all very different lengths, then it really shouldn't matter.

If and when your proposal is taken up, you should be able to discuss with the editor any changes that might be necessary once you are into the writing. There should be a certain amount of flexibility, provided you don't completely change it from the proposal.

eScotty

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tasha, for welcoming me to this site. I appreciated your answering both my questions. I find it's rare, when I post questions online, that someone actually addresses the questions. Often the comments seem at least slightly off the mark. Yours were right on. You actually paid attention to the questions. How refreshing!

Best,
eScotty

Epicman

I said What!?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cometogetherbooks.com
Welcome eScotty

On book length I make it long enough to deliver an accurate understanding of the subject without including any non essential stuff just to up the word count.
If it takes 30,000 or 70,000 I just put in whatever it takes. As far as first time authors the agents and publishers shy away from works that exceeds 100,000 words - so I would stay well below that - If I can get my point across.

As for deviating from a proposal that is exactly what a proposal is - a proposal. It is not set in stone as long as you dont stray too far from the path. You don't want to propose a romance novel and deliver a motorcycle repair manual.

Hope this helps

Epicman

Status
Not open for further replies.